Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Grease Movie Song Licensing

Posted 01-23-2020 21:49
    Hello all! 

I am directing a production of "Grease" and am wondering if anyone knows about the process of obtaining performance rights for the songs from the film version (You're the One that I Want, Sandy, Hopelessly Devoted to You, the title song). From what I understand, this is not something that the licensing company (Samuel French/Concord) is in charge of. If so, who is then? I really can't find any pathways online that lead me towards obtaining these rights. 

Hopefully someone who has done this in the past can shed a little light!

------------------------------
    Michael Busani

• 2.  RE: Grease Movie Song Licensing

Posted 01-24-2020 07:50

You have to buy the licensing to the Grease songs from Warner Chappell Music, Inc https://www.warnerchappell.com/

It's great you want to do the right thing! So many companies have added these songs illegally. If you do get the licenses, make sure you make a notation in your playbill.

Break a leg!

Rachel Menconi
    Montvale NJ

• 3.  RE: Grease Movie Song Licensing

Posted 01-25-2020 14:49
    Thank you! And good point about making the note in the program!

Michael Busani
    Boston MA

• 4.  RE: Grease Movie Song Licensing

Posted 01-24-2020 07:50

We did Grease in 2016 - so I was able to grab my file to see what we did to use these songs - here's some info:

Samuel French only holds the stage rights to GREASE - so to license the additional songs, you need to contact Warner/Chapell - and that contact information was in the licensing contract.   Warner/Chapell, however, does not send you the sheet music.   Samuel French can send copies of You're The One That I Want, and Hopelessly Devoted - for us it was an extra $200.

I received a questionnaire prior to our licensing application being fully accepted -and I had to submit a seating chart of our space (because they charge by the seat, not average sales history).  One of the questions was:    Will you be requesting permission to perform the movie songs - They are "Grease", "Sandy", "Hopelessly Devoted to You", and "You're the One That I Want"

One of the other documents in th efolder isa  "Theatrical License Request Form" for the movie songs - and it says to allow 3-4 weeks for clearance of requests.

Hope this helps a bit!  I will say that Grease was the most expensive show we ever produced for licensing costs and rental materials, etc (not production costs like costumes, lumber).  Contract costs were over $9000  - we did 5 performances, and we have an 1100 seat house, tickets were $6-9.  But we had to rent additional chorus books for $10 per person.  Buy the script books for dialogue from SF.  License additional songs through Warner/Chapell.   It felt like a lot of nickel-and-diming because there are so many factors to take into consideration.

For years, I said that we'd never to do Grease - and that if we ever did, it would be because we either needed more community support for our program, or more money.  At the time, we needed both.  When everyone asks WHY? - I bring up the themes of the storyline - smoking, drinking, Rizzo's situation, Sandy changing to please a guy... it has toe-tapping music, but the messages are mixed at best.  We did cover our costs - but we didn't sell out the place.   

But if your audience members are like mine - they will want what they see on stage to closely resemble the movie - so we felt we needed to add those songs. 

Melissa Mintzer
    Willow Street PA

• 5.  RE: Grease Movie Song Licensing

Posted 01-25-2020 14:48
    Thank you so much for all this information! I have heard Grease is typically very expensive, but I agree that audiences have a strong desire to see/hear those recognizable movie songs. This was all very helpful!

Michael Busani
    Boston MA

• 6.  RE: Grease Movie Song Licensing

Posted 01-24-2020 07:56
    We obtained the rights for those songs a couple of years back when we did Grease. I'm pretty sure the details were in our contract with Samual French, and my music director did that step so I'm not 100% sure. But I remember filling out paperwork detailing which songs we wanted and sent it to the company that owns the rights to those songs (but I don't remember who that is). I realize this was little to no help. But I do believe that I mentioned it to my rep and the details were in the contract.

Christina Iman
    Teacher
    Ripley WV

• 7.  RE: Grease Movie Song Licensing

Posted 01-24-2020 08:18
    Good Morning Michael:

We produced "Grease" last Fall and, despite the somewhat outdated messages, had an absolute blast! The song "Grease" is licensed through Universal Music Corp. It cost us $125 for 5 shows ($25 bucks a pop). My contact person for that song was Himeko deGuzman (Himeko.deGuzman@umusic.com). "Sandy", "Hopelessly...", and "You're the One..." are licensed through Warner Chappell Music Inc. and cost us $750 for 5 shows ($50 per song, per show). My contact person for those songs was Cameron Sargent (Cameron.Sargent@warnerchappell.com). It's quite an investment, as I'm sure you know, but of course audiences expect to hear them. Our our only real issue was that while they provide the license they do not provide the music (nor did Samuel French) so you have to dig a bit (musicnotes.com). Hope that helps get you started! Enjoy the show!

Brett

wstr_bhiner@woostercityschools.org

Mr. Brett Hiner
    English Teacher/Drama Director
    Wooster High School
    Wooster, Ohio

• 8.  RE: Grease Movie Song Licensing

Posted 01-25-2020 14:50
    Thank you for all of this! Having the names of contact people will definitely help. I appreciate the useful info!

Michael Busani
    Boston MA