Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Immigrant Play suggestions

Posted 08-11-2017 19:43
    We are looking for play suggestions that explore immigration. We have a large Mexican population but are open to other immigrant experiences.

Ross Wheeler
    East Aurora High School

• 2.  RE: Immigrant Play suggestions

Posted 08-12-2017 00:16
    I read a play called Learn Me Somethin' a few years ago that's a bit to advanced in subject matter for my middle school students, but I'd love to direct it. It deals with many different immigration experiences within the context of the school system. It requires a large, diverse cast, but it's a hidden gem that I found by accident. I strongly suggest you check it out.

------------------------------
    Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 3.  RE: Immigrant Play suggestions

Posted 08-12-2017 13:29
    Have students write it. I created a Google Form with 20 questions and got it out through our Dreamers club. I then compiled their responses about how their families came here, issues that they face, and their hopes for the future into a documentary play. The performances will be half in English and half in Spanish, with the other projected as supertitles.

I hope this helps!
    Justin Charles

---------------------------------
    Justin Charles
    Theater Manager
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake IL
    ---------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Immigrant Play suggestions

Posted 08-13-2017 08:18
    Take a look at Anon(ymous) written by Naomi Iizuka and available from Playscripts. The play is an adaptation of the Odyssey in which a young immigrant journeys through America. The play is rich with characters and poetic imagery. I directed this last year as my fall show and it was well received by the students involved and our immigrant rich community. We provided special performances for our 9th grade students who were reading The Odyssey at the time. If you want something a bit challenging, this might be a possibility.

Laurie Tyson
    Theatre Director
    Henry County Board of Education
    McDonough GA

• 5.  RE: Immigrant Play suggestions

Posted 08-13-2017 15:31
    I saw Living Out by Lisa Loomer performed this past year at our  HS One Act Play competition. It is a powerful piece when done well and also has some humour. Good luck with your season.

Link below to read more about it. 
    http://www.dramatists.com/cgi-bin/db/single.asp?key=3351

Adam Carr
    Cypress TX

• 6.  RE: Immigrant Play suggestions

Posted 08-14-2017 14:47
    We did Anon(ymous) a few years ago and it was a really cool show. Lots of opportunities for creative staging, good curricular ties to The Odyssey. You may also want to look at Triangle by Laurie Brooks. It weaves the story of a young immigrant girl caught in the Triangle shirtwaist fire in with a modern day Hispanic girl. Also lends itself well to ensemble work and creative staging. The two shows would probably work well in rep together on a simple unit set.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 7.  RE: Immigrant Play suggestions

Posted 08-14-2017 19:46
    This may not work for your group, but I Remember Mama centers on an Norwegian immigrant family living in San Francisco in the early 20th Century.

If your considering a musical, West Side Story could be perfect. "I want to be in America."

Best of broken bones.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 8.  RE: Immigrant Play suggestions

Posted 08-15-2017 07:41
    Bocon, by Lisa Loomer is another powerful play about the struggles to come through America via Central America.  When I first read the play, it felt like a fairy tale and as I researched Guatemala and learned of the oppression in that country and the hardships that come with trying to get out, my world perspective was changed.  A beautiful piece with creative options for set, costumes, props, movement, music (we used live musicians on stage), and ensemble.  Good luck to you.

Nancy Vitulli

• 9.  RE: Immigrant Play suggestions

Posted 08-15-2017 16:23
    I also checked out Learn Me Somethin' and came to the same conclusion as Hugh (looked good, but too mature for my middle school kiddos). 

Bocon! definitely came to mind, I've seen it and read it and loved it, but haven't done it (very heavy load on the main character, also less good for middle).

We have done Faces of Freedom by Cynthia Mercati (Dramatic Publishing), which is all about immigration stories.  It has two stories woven throughout - turn of the century Italian girl and 1970s Vietnamese boy - plus a load of monologues.  It could be an option for you - or also could be something for your students to look at if they decide to write their own.  It was incredibly moving to work on, and was very well received by audiences - probably the most email feedback I've had after a show ... even from members of the community who didn't have kids in the school system! 

We did a school survey before the show (birthplace of self, parents, and grandparents - reasons for immigrating), then posted a huge world map in the lobby with different colored pins for the 3 generations.  Around it we posted percentages, and "Reasons for coming" - which connected to a scene in the play.

Another thought, though I haven't looked at it recently and can't remember it well ... but remember really liking it: Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman (based on his book) (Playscripts).  It is a one act with a large cast, set in a community garden.  Not so much about immigration, as a community, but with a number of characters who are immigrants.  It is on my to-do list!

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 10.  RE: Immigrant Play suggestions

Posted 08-16-2017 10:15
    there's The Immigrant by Mark Harelik...

https://www.broadwayplaypub.com/the-plays/the-immigrant/

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA