Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Electronic Feedback

Posted 11-10-2013 17:50
    Hey, Everyone.

Was wondering if any of you have figured out a way to use technology to provide feedback to students.  I was thinking it would be useful for things like classroom participation or for work on various crews.

For example, in my Theater One Class, a major portion of the student's grade is participation-- a nebulous concept to explain to students, and while I look for specific behaviors, it is difficult to provide feedback to my students each day.  

So, is there a way that students could post a daily goal, then post their evaluation of their progress and a teacher could reply to them in an interactive way?

Thoughts?

-------------------------------------------
    Michael Johnson

• 2.  RE:Electronic Feedback

Posted 11-11-2013 09:50
    At our school every student has an email account and they have just set up a web site that students have access to.  That would allow student-teacher communication.  If all students texted, you could text them comments.

I have the students in my cast and crew put my number in their phones so they can contact me if there is an emergency and they can't make rehearsal or will be late for any reason.  I hadn't thought about using it for feedback...that might work...

Carla Stanley
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Kern High School District-Shafter High

• 3.  RE:Electronic Feedback

Posted 11-11-2013 12:16
    if your school has ipads  or your students have iphones Socrative is a great app.  It is an interactive response tool. Quizzes and knowledge checks. Students need the student clicker and teachers use the teacher version.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/teacher-clicker-socrative/id477620120?mt=8     

http://ipadsintheatreclass.blogspot.com/ -- this is a blog site that I  used to keep up with because he came up with cool ideas - you might find something there you want to use...

This year I wanted to use emodo - it is available for iphones and ipad as well as androids -- you can also access it with a computer - but it doesnt support parent accounts - therefore it doesnt work for me because of our school policy.  You might want to check it out...

Darleen Totten

• 4.  RE:Electronic Feedback

Posted 11-12-2013 10:05
    Check out the new CritiqueIt app on the app store with Apple.  It's designed and built by Colorado Thespians, and it is an all-inclusive feedback and communication app.  You can use it to grade students on your tablet using rubrics that are developed to directly align with state and national standards.  And then, you can email the rubrics directly to your students.  It's a very cool app.

If you are looking for something that you can use with your students for your shows, check out the amazing DirectIt app.  

Jeremy Goldson

• 5.  RE:Electronic Feedback

Posted 11-13-2013 19:51
    The Apple App sounds great.  Will certainly check that out

Thanks

Michael Johnson

• 6.  RE:Electronic Feedback

Posted 11-14-2013 01:16
    I know that you can make a google doc for each of the students. You and the student can both have access. They can post the date and the goal for each day, then you can go in and click comment, and comment on the google doc. You could also simply write in a different color on their google doc. I feel like this would be easy and you could also easily do one document for the whole quarter/ semester, then all the comments from each day are in one place!! 

Best Wishes! 

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair

• 7.  RE:Electronic Feedback

Posted 11-15-2013 13:55
    Hey Michael...

I have found great success with a website called Lino (http://en.linoit.com/)

Here is a link to one of my 6th grade class's feedback board: http://goo.gl/n9EhQK

It's great that the students can re-watch the performance and then offer feedback. It also something they can refer back to before their next performance to remind themselves of what they should focus on. Verbal feedback is often forgotten, this written feedback is fun and also very beneficial.

Feel free to contact me if you have questions.  

Adam Moreno
    Middle School Drama and Dance Teacher
    University School of Milwaukee
    edbean.com / @USMDrama