Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  How Do You Select Your Crews?

Posted 11-09-2013 15:14
    Ok- I have a problem that I've never had before.  I finally have so many interested drama students that more students want to participate in every show than I have room for. 

We have a seven member cast for our One Act, and 12 people signed up to run the light and sound board!!  I have a total of 50 students interested in crew for this show.

I don't want to have to turn anyone away- I want to encourage and keep up the participation, but how do you select who you put on what crew?  Is it STRICTLY through application and review?  Do you have a sign up sheet?  How do you encourage younger students to learn all the aspects of theatre and stay involved while allowing the more experienced ones to run everything?

Just trying to get a feel for what other programs do.

Thanks!!
    -Brooke

-------------------------------------------
    Brooke Phillips

• 2.  RE:How Do You Select Your Crews?

Posted 11-10-2013 06:49
    Yah for increased interest in your program, sure sign you are doing great things!  Our program is a bit different because it is vocational program and the students "major" in theatre, We actually require our kids to get 10 hours of tech work freshmen and sophomore year.  Many of our kids get the experience through community theatres in the area(which you might reach out to and see if they are in need of help)  but we also have our jrs. and srs.mentor the underclassmen and teach them how to run the board or do a dimmer check and they shadow them the night of the performances and by the end run the board with their supervision..  Then if they have shadowed and assist with strike they will have acquired some knowledge and you will be able to see who has a real talent and interest for the next tech opportunity.  .  

Kirstin Lynch-Walsh

• 3.  RE:How Do You Select Your Crews?

Posted 11-10-2013 09:38
    If you have light and sound technicians that already know what they are doing see if they will train someone and work with them on the rehearsals and the shows or have a different crew for each show. That would ensure having a trained and available crew. 

Maybe schedule a rehearsal/training day for the new students to explain all of the jobs needed to run a show and have people move through the jobs. 

Carla Stanley
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Kern High School District-Shafter High

• 4.  RE:How Do You Select Your Crews?

Posted 11-10-2013 15:46
    At my school we have grades 6-12 involved in productions which always means there are the kids that can go the distance and others that might not be able to do very day or stay later. The structure ex have created is open sign up for technical discipline interests with one or two team leaders that we call Masters like in a guild structure. The Masters are almost always at every rehearsal and regularly check in with the Technical Director (me) and the Director. The Masters help insure the newer students are guided through the process, trained on equipment and procedures (always proofed by an adult wheee safety is involved), and built into the run schedule for observation and operation. The Masters are always experienced in their area with several shows to their credit, usually Seniors or Juniors. With lights and sound where their rally can only be one operator the masters and students with some experience work the consoles during the tech dresses because that is when the process is most intense, but the novices sit by their side on headset so they can here and see what is happening. During initial setup up and programming everyone is involved. During performances we let the novices take turns with the Masters observing and on headset to correct if a problem arises. I hope this is helpful. Contact me if you need clarification. ------------------------------------------- Richard Hogle New Mexico -------------------------------------------