Open Forum

View Only

PIPPIN

• 1.  PIPPIN

Posted 02-25-2015 07:38

Anyone who has directed Pippin - what did you do for the Theo's duck?  And, with fire regulations, how did you manage the torch that plays several times before the Grand Finale?

------------------------------
    David Valdes
    Director of Theatre
    St. Paul's School
    Concord NH

• 2.  RE: PIPPIN

Posted 02-25-2015 07:43

I directed PIPPIN many years ago, and got a talented art student to build us a hand puppet for the duck which worked very well. The puppet was a combination of rod and hand puppet to allow for movement of the neck and head.

For the torch, I had the "mad pyro man" carrying an unlit torch and a large gasoline can around for his entrances so that when he asks "Now?" he looked ready to light up the world but never had an open flame.  It became quite the running gag.

Floyd Nash

• 3.  RE: PIPPIN

Posted 02-26-2015 10:41
    I just used a stuffed animal for the duck.  For the finale, I made a mockup of a human outline with flash paper which goes up in flames in an instant and leaves no sparks or residue.  The torch bearer had one of those bar-b-q lighters which are just a cigarette lighter with a long neck on the end.  He would jump out and say "now?" and flick the lighter for a second.  No big flames, no smoke, no problems.

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    West Warwick RI

• 4.  RE: PIPPIN

Posted 02-26-2015 11:51
    When I directed it, I used a duck hunter's decoy.  The torch was bought at Party City and was one of those things with cloth blown by a fan and a flashlight thingy.  The production was in 2002, but I bet you can still find a similar item.

Fred Bobbitt
    Senoia GA

• 5.  RE: PIPPIN

Posted 02-26-2015 08:17
    The torch was just a flashlight within a larger pipe topped off by a mix of warm gel colors. The final demo fire was done with a fairly small amount of flash paper which our admin had no problem with. My solution to the duck problem was that it, like every other "character" in Pippin's potential life paths was played by an actor, and a reluctant one, too. He was in a garish yellow duck suit and the size difference between he and Theo was comical. The Player had to continually urge him on until finally he got his revenge by staging an elaborate death scene that stopped the show. I took a lot of heat from my "Pippin-Purist" friends, but I thought it fit right in with the concept. ------------------------------ Ben Martin Past Board Of Trustees Missouri Aliiance for Arts Education Lee's Summit MO ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: PIPPIN

Posted 02-26-2015 10:02
    When we did Pippin three years ago we just used a stuffed animal. I believe we found one at a pet store that looked fairly real (it was a dog toy). Though I really like the puppet idea suggested here. Whatever you do, how the actor interacts with the duck will be what matters to the audience. Call me a pyro, but we used a Gam Torch, which is a real torch designed for theatrical use. It uses solid fuel and has a sliding cover that snuffs the flame if the actor lets go of it. The key to using real flame at our theatre is planning ahead and working with you local Fire Marshall. We spent 4 hours with the fire Marshall practicing with the torch and the real flame effect we used for the Finale. ------------------------------ Sean Blauvelt San Luis Obispo CA ------------------------------

• 7.  RE: PIPPIN

Posted 02-26-2015 14:18

Pam Ware
    Director of Theatre
    Gainesville City Schools
    Gainesville GA

• 8.  RE: PIPPIN

Posted 02-27-2015 09:53

When we did Pippin last year, we used baby ducks from a local farm.  The trick is not to get them too early.  I ordered ducklings and a student raised them...the thing got HUGE by April.  Luckily, we had a family that loaned us some new ducklings for the show.

For the firebox, we build a large diamond-shaped front, stretched light material over the opening, and then used a strobe-light effect when the player demonstrated how it worked.  We also had low-lying fog, which was cool.  

I have a large Charlemagne's map (fabric banner) and Pippin: His Life and Times banner that I am looking to resell as well.  Let me know if you are interested.  Or, if you have any other Pippin questions.  I could talk about that show all day.  :)  We absolutely loved it, and we ended up winning a regional award for best musical with it.  

Denise Connor
    English/Drama Teacher
    Montoursville PA

• 9.  RE: PIPPIN

Posted 03-19-2015 17:33
    When we produced Pippin, we went for cute and used an almost cartoon like stuffed duck.  We left part of the seam open in the back of the neck and put a rod or spoon through it so Theo could manipulate it. If you google Dilby Duck pattern, you will find a free pdf pattern that can be downloaded.

Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA

• 10.  RE: PIPPIN

Posted 05-11-2015 11:52

I am currently working on Pippin.  Did any of you have any issues with the "sex" scenes or the occasional language?  Also how many did you have in your cast?  Mine is looking to be 16 or so.... had one or two drop out when they got ensemble instead of lead!!

Thank you for your help

Cathy

Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 11.  RE: PIPPIN

Posted 05-12-2015 07:01

I just wrapped Pippin at the end of April.

As far as the "sex" scenes, they weren't too much of an issue -- as it's all in the staging.  For "With You," we just suggested a lot of experimentation by having Pippin go from girl to girl, particularly in the "Giselle Dance" section.  Then once the music changed to Parts II and III, the girls started dancing more and more exotically and evocatively (while being tame and without being inappropriate for high schoolers; honestly, we went with a "go-go" feel), so Pippin tried to keep up.  When it was clear he couldn't more and more of the female players joined him and the dance leads on stage until they surrounded him and played a twisted "ring around the rosey;" he grew scared, and that's when he attempted to escape but couldn't.  It was a "this is intriguing" into "this is scary" arc, which follows much of the show and his emotional states pre- and post- song.

For "Bed Music," we staged much of the beginning of the number leading into the 'premature' dialogue as "awkward make-out moments."  Pippin leans in for a kiss, but gets his hand tangled in her hair; they try again, only he steps on her foot; they try again, but she has bad breath.  When I asked the cast to give me ideas that followed this idea, the female student playing Catherine blurted "when my Mom almost walks in on me," which led to us having a cameo by the mother (we're a small, rural community, so we got huge mileage out of the recognizability factor -- and the mother's broad ad-libs), which we used to justify the 'premature' dialogue and put it in a more innocent context, while still preserving the intimacy of the moment.

Any of the other language I didn't receive complaints about -- Charles's lines, I cast an actor who had natural comic timing and we worked on how to undersell the language for maximum comic effect.  He's the kind of student who would get away with it just because his delivery's funny, so I leveraged that (he's also an experienced senior, so lots of trust).  We received complaints about Pippin's line "why did the g-d duck have to die" prior to performance, so we dropped the "g" part -- I'd advise going to MTI on that one, though.

As far as size of my cast, we topped out at about 32 or so.  I reassured any players that I was going to be using them extensively, which was different ensemble work than we've done in the past -- much of our first month was spent exclusively on movement exercises, dance exercises, and trust exercises, which is a process that I haven't used before as it always felt kind of "hippy-dippy," but ended up paying dividends.  Much of "The Finale" I didn't block explicitly, I just had the Players follow their movement exercises (we played "keep away from Pippin," essentially, but refined it and refined it so that a) they moved like a flock of birds -- if one person moves, the rest follow on instinct; and b) when they landed, they needed to be aware of clustering, height, and depth -- try to stand in triangles, look to see if others are standing, crouched, kneeling, et cetera, and add variation to what you're seeing), and it generally worked out, with very simple directions to the cast as a whole (following advice given in Hauser & Reich's Notes on Directing -- a book I highly recommend to directors of any experience), to whit: "on this line, Pippin's nice, so flock toward him; on this line, he's nasty, flee to the curtain-line," etc.

I managed to retain everyone I cast -- again, through the promise while they grumbled that everyone was getting stage time.  I had choreographic leads (I organized the cast with playing cards) who were "Aces," and rewarded those who gave me strong participation during the month of movement/dance/trust with more prominent callouts -- and the Aces didn't get much of those moments at all.  I also used them extensively from "Magic" through "Corner"; in "Glory" and "With You"; they did audience work in "No Time at All" (we hung tapestries in the house with the lyrics that the cast had to reveal); from "Morning Glow" through the end of Act I; and, of course, "The Finale," which is a one-act unto itself, practically.

Everyone got two or three solo moments (even if only for a line), and we managed to build a pretty strong ensemble, too, as the show lends itself tremendously to that.  

Hope it goes well, and you break many legs!  Let us know how it turns out.

Bonus: Here's two photos taken by Pippin's mother for "The Finale" -- one's from our first night, the other's closing night.  Just to give you a sense of how we fit 32 people on a tiny stage.

Russell Paulette
    Rappahannock County Public Schools
    Washington VA

• 12.  RE: PIPPIN

Posted 05-12-2015 10:10

We also wrapped Pippin! in March.  We produced ours in the style of a 1930's carnival sideshow.  So Berthe was the Bearded Lady, Fastrada was a contortionist, Lewis was the gorilla boy, etc.  We had great fun with it.

We tried to make ours enjoyable for the entire community.  For the cursing, I had the actors say them under their breath or we would run the next line over it.

We performed the sex scenes as dances.  For Bed Music (which my kids called "Sheet Music"), Pippin and Catherine performed a tango.  The oops portion occurred by having Pippin attempt a dip and drop Catherine.  They then tried again and Pippin successfully dipped her.

For With You, we performed couple waltzes.  The dancing became more and more frantic and faster as the song progressed.  It worked well.

MAX

Max Dashner
    Director/Drama Teacher
    Huntsville AL