Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Victorian Costume Rental

Posted 02-19-2015 10:00

Hi, there!

We are doing Jekyll and Hyde in April, and I'm looking for a good resource to rent or buy Victorian-era costumes, especially gentlemen's suits. I'm a pretty good seamstress, so I'm comfortable with the simpler stuff, but I'll need to definitely rent or buy things without spending a fortune. We're in the Phoenix area (if that makes a difference!) Thanks!

------------------------------
    Cynthia Calhoun
    Teacher
    Maricopa AZ

• 2.  RE: Victorian Costume Rental

Posted 02-19-2015 11:59
    Have you tried Easley's or Mardi Gras?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Victorian Costume Rental

Posted 02-19-2015 14:41

This place is pricey but I've used them for hats:

http://www.steampunkemporium.com/steam.php

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 4.  RE: Victorian Costume Rental

Posted 02-20-2015 13:48
    This is also called the gentleman's emporium AND the ladies emporium. I have used them for the madwoman of chaillot and other productions. I find cost and quality great. ------------------------------ Phillip Rayher Director, Theatre Dept. Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts San Francisco CA ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Victorian Costume Rental

Posted 02-20-2015 09:56

Steve Landes
    Overland Park KS

• 6.  RE: Victorian Costume Rental

Posted 02-21-2015 09:32

Joanne Buyniski
    Whitinsville MA
    I am also a major fan of Gentleman's Emporium.  Quality is unsurpassed for the price; just don't wait too long to order, as some items need to be special-ordered (additional 7 to 10 days) in popular sizes.

Please consider the eBay vendors as well.  Inexpensive tuxedo items (especially frock coats) can be had at amazingly low prices.  Kaw Valley Mercantile and Old Mill Mercantile carry a variety of period-appropriate items as well.

Over the years, we've amassed (thanks to Edwin Drood and Carousel and very talented costume design students) a terrific collection of Victorian-era garments.  It takes time, patience, and very careful shopping!  Good luck!  (Our costume design for Carousel won an award last year!)

Joanne Buyniski

• 7.  RE: Victorian Costume Rental

Posted 02-25-2015 07:45

Tuxedo Wholesalers is a good source for mens period wear at reasonable prices as well.  I just looked at the Gentlemens Emporium website, and they seem to have quality merchandise, but also expensive prices for the average school or community theatre.

Floyd Nash

• 8.  RE: Victorian Costume Rental

Posted 02-25-2015 07:47
    And even though they are not close to you, Spotlight Costumes in Pittsburgh has beautiful costumes for reasonable rental rates.  

Floyd Nash

• 9.  RE: Victorian Costume Rental

Posted 02-26-2015 11:34

You might try The Theatre Company, Upland, CA. They provide entire costumes, including hats and spats for $50 per. They can giveyou a guesstimate for shipping. People all over the country use them. Ask for Barb or Linda. 909 982-5736

Patricia Scarborough
    Theater Teacher
    King High School
    Riverside CA