Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Happy Birthday, Community!!

Posted 02-19-2015 09:37
    It has been a YEAR since we introduced the Theatre Education Community to the world! Hopefully, you've all made some new friends, received some great advice and have a place to provide some inspiration. We'd love to know how the Community has helped you, please share a quick line or two on this thread about what you've learned or put to use!

------------------------------
    Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 2.  RE: Happy Birthday, Community!!

Posted 02-19-2015 10:52
    I love the opportunity to drop a line or question and to respond to others. I'm always by myself. It's nice to be able to "talk" to others who are in the same position. :D

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Happy Birthday, Community!!

Posted 02-20-2015 07:28

As a "one only" teacher, it has been a wonderful resource to suddenly not be alone.  It is reassuring to hear others express a similar point of view on teaching and production.  In addition, it is nice to know my heap of insurmountable odds are faced by others--large and small, rich and poor--not just my students and program.

I believe the best benefit is now instead of throwing a message in a bottle off my island hoping for a reply, I now have a land line connecting my island to others and that is a encouraging feeling!

Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Plesant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN

• 4.  RE: Happy Birthday, Community!!

Posted 02-20-2015 07:44
    This forum has been extremely helpful with the issues I deal with on a daily basis being a drama teacher. I have received advice, suggestions, thought-provoking discussions, and even purchased props for an upcoming show. I can't say enough about how much I look forward to reading the Open Forum every day!

Gail Bartell
    Altamonte Springs FL

• 5.  RE: Happy Birthday, Community!!

Posted 02-20-2015 08:48
    It is great from far away. You feel like part of a team with new techniques and ideas. Thank you for doing this! ------------------------------ Phil Ridley Drama Director Dubai ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Happy Birthday, Community!!

Posted 02-21-2015 12:04

I LOVE the Community!! It's like having my own personal cheer squad! It's helped with ideas, support, comfort, and sometimes ammunition! LOL
    Everyone's experiences are so broad and it lets me know I'm doing things right, let's me know I need to change some things, gives me ideas of how to change or how to do something.

Face it, there are very few in our personal circle at school who understand what we do. I enjoy having people of like mindedness speak into my life and me being able to speak into theirs. I take what I can use and toss the rest, which I assume everyone does. Nothings personal - it's all from our experiences.

Connie Sandoz
    Theatre Director
    Henderson NV

• 7.  RE: Happy Birthday, Community!!

Posted 02-25-2015 14:16

This community is a fantastic professional resource. I have learned about new (to me) scripts,

books, teaching ideas, curriculum and an ongoing working language of theatre. I enjoy reading the

posts, sharing ideas, and having the support of theatre artists in other schools. Thank you to

everyone for making this community great!

Juliette Beck
    Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director
    Albuquerque NM

• 8.  RE: Happy Birthday, Community!!

Posted 02-27-2015 09:25

Though I have been super swamped of late with moving house and haven't had the opportunity to check in as frequently as I did up to last month, I am in awe of the community, with the access to professional, like-minded and talented individuals with such a diverse range of experiences.

I have learned so much from others, and love to give back as much as I can to this community, and truly believe that active involvement in the community would really help as a panacea against younger, less experienced teachers who come in and can be quickly overwhelmed because they are, as expressed previously, an island nation throwing out messages in a bottle. It's a stressful way to live! This community has definitely been an encouragement to me.

May it serve for many, many more years to come as it grows!

Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL

• 9.  RE: Happy Birthday, Community!!

Posted 02-28-2015 18:11

I have learned that theatre comes in all shapes and sizes. Quality theatre is not about how much money you have, instead it is centered around how much passion you put into it.

The Community is a breeding ground for passion.

Alex Minton
    ITO Chair
    Omaha NE