Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cast/crew Bonding Activities?

Posted 02-15-2015 09:09
    I am looking for cast/crew bonding activities that don't involve me staying up all night to chaperone a lock-in. I teach AP and Honors English in addition to drama electives, plus I have three small children. I just can't pull an all-nighter this year. Haha. I see the value in getting my cast and crew of Shrek together to bond, especially since it's a fairly large cast (for our size of school), and I have 2 ensemble groups (fairy tale creatures and Duloc dancers) plus leads. Thanks for any suggestions!! ------------------------------ Denise Connor English/Drama Teacher Montoursville PA ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Cast/crew Bonding Activities?

Posted 02-16-2015 07:07
    an after rehearsal movie night with popcorn/pizza - that ends at a decent hour

------------------------------
    Elyse Tomlinson

• 3.  RE: Cast/crew Bonding Activities?

Posted 02-16-2015 08:23

Many years ago, we had the format of three shows - one Friday night, a Saturday matinee and a Saturday evening. I started the tradition of a cast/crew pot luck dinner between the shows as a way to ensure that none of the cast "wandered away" for dinner and then didn't make call before the second show. Since we've changed our performance format to Thursday/Friday/Saturday, the Saturday pot luck has stood and is something the whole group really enjoys and looks forward to.

Of course, if you're looking for something to take place a little further out before the show this wouldn't work ;) 

Elizabeth Kott
    Port Washington NY

• 4.  RE: Cast/crew Bonding Activities?

Posted 02-16-2015 11:26
    We have 2 seniors, one male, one female, who are company leaders for the year. They, along with my guidance, chose "family leaders" and then split the rest of the cast into families. We try to split close friends and classes so that the kids meet others that they may not know as well. Families meet at least once a week and there are challenges and games they play. The girls also do secret sister the week of the show. Hope this helps- ------------------------------ Kelli Ware McClendon Nashville TN ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Cast/crew Bonding Activities?

Posted 02-16-2015 14:39

Two easy things that we do in our company:

1. Snack time.  The first 10-15 minutes of rehearsal are snack time for the cast, crew, and orchestra and directors; and it is mandatory.  We have a signup for the parents to bring snacks.  Snack are not extravagant, but the time together is great.

2. Company time.  About every 2 weeks we forgo one day of rehearsal and schedule company activites that are NOT rehearsal related.  In the past we have played ultimate frisbee, participated in the ice-bucket challenge, watched movies (sometimes the movie of the play we are working on, sometimes not), played improv games, etc.

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Monument CO

• 6.  RE: Cast/crew Bonding Activities?

Posted 02-16-2015 15:14

We start each rehearsal with a focus dance (cast, crew, me, everyone) in a circle.We "leave the problems of school, boyf/girlf issues, homework, tests, everything" outside of the rehearsal area. It really does focus us together and we have a better rehearsal. I create it, pick the music (usually slow and calming) and then the stage manager and AD set it up each day and run it - sometimes with me and sometimes I am doing other things. I really believe it "joins" us (cast/crew) together. I have found the kids doing it on their own in small groups, and even at the cast party.

We also rehearse in multiple places -usually not on Saturdays. However, I occasionally call a Sat music rehearsal in the music room, dancing in the cafeteria, and staging/blocking in my classroom. I have crews building on stage, usually from 9:00 - 12:00 on Sat too. There is a lot going on! We all get together for lunch provided by parents from 12:00 - 12:45. Everyone eats together so cast and crew members are seen as equally important.  We do this a couple of times during the rehearsal period. Crew positions have become as envied as the lead roles. I have 120 actors audition for about 40 roles, and even more than that for a crew position. I have to cut people, so the kids who get in know they are valued. And then to be included in a warm up dance and have lunch provided where they get to be with their friends on crew, or in the cast, is a big deal. They look forward to it.

Just FYI - this is middle school (grade 6,7,8). It's really easy to have kids break off into cliques. This seems to avoid that altogether.

Ron Wells

Lawton C Johnson Summit Middle School

Summit New Jersey

• 7.  RE: Cast/crew Bonding Activities?

Posted 02-17-2015 14:08

Debbie Corbin
    Drama & Musical director
    Branson High School
    Spokane MO
    One of our favorite traditions is used for an all day Tech rehearsal on a Saturday before opening our musical.  My husband makes great chili, so we haul in a couple of cookers full, as well as a vegetarian crock full.  the students bring all the cheese, chips, cookies to compliment.....everyone has a hand it it.

• 8.  RE: Cast/crew Bonding Activities?

Posted 02-18-2015 11:59
    We often have the cast meet at the local Town Center with lots of different food options, and we have a "character lunch" where all of the cast members eat and behave "in character." We usually do this before the crew is really involved. ------------------------------ Jodi Improta Fine Arts Department Chair Fullerton CA ------------------------------