Open Forum

View Only

Tables vs. No tables

• 1.  Tables vs. No tables

Posted 02-13-2015 01:03
    Doing a remake-remodel of the Drama Room and need your thoughts on this.... We currently have trapezoidal tables which does not give very many configuration options for the classroom. I used to have class sizes that allowed for circle activities in the front of the classroom but class sizes are so big we cannot do this anymore. The principal said she would get new tables and chairs for the room this year and we only got new chairs even though the tables fall apart constantly. I am considering taking out all of the tables and getting lap desks for those quick writing and computing assignments, keeping the chairs and purchasing a few foldable, storable tables for those hands on projects and assignments so we can bring the tables out when we need them. I can think of a lot of positives to having no tables: no "hiding" behind the tables, circle time is easy to have in the classroom, multiple ways to configure the room, space for on your feet activities, etc. The only negative I can think of is the admin may think that they can overload classes because we have the space. My classes are already at 35 at times. Thoughts? ------------------------------ Julie Estrada Loveland CO ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Tables vs. No tables

Posted 02-14-2015 08:05

I have put a lot of thought into this.  The best configurations (in my opinion) that I've seen for drama classrooms is when you have the opportunity to either have a portion of the room classroom style  (in a large room) or I have even known people to have two difference spaces (theatre and separate classroom).  This cuts down on time wasted going from one formation to another.  I, however, do not have that.  I have an open room with chairs and rehearsal blocks.  When students need to take notes, etc., they "make an audience".  I have a bucket with 30 clipboards in it (that I purchased at the dollar tree).  They will get their clipboard and a writing utensil.  This transition always takes a good bit because they go to one place to get the clipboard, then to their back packs to get their pencil (all backpacks are in one place in my room), and then, inevitably some students will want to get a chair, too.

I do have some folding tables that I have tucked away in my room that I used last year when I did my make up unit. Of course then they had to be moved multiple times a day to adjust for the other classes/units I was teaching. I keep toying with different formations, but I have this awkward pole that divides my room into a 2/3 section and a 1/3 section. 

------------------------------
    Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC

• 3.  RE: Tables vs. No tables

Posted 02-14-2015 10:35

John Doyle
    Keyport NJ
    I have a very small theater classroom, so having the ability to move the furniture to accomidate activities is a priority. Presently my students use a chair/desk combination that has the option of moving the desk out of the way and behind the student. We move these to the perrimiter of the class when doing group "on your feet" work. I have approched my principal with the suggestion of replacing the present seating with 'Jack-Backs'. Jack-backs are chairs without legs that can be folded and stacked. (I use them in my meditation and Reiki work out of school) The kids can still work on their computers keeping them in their laps.

• 4.  RE: Tables vs. No tables

Posted 02-14-2015 10:42
    I have no desks in my classroom and love it.  I have a table that I use as a desk in the back that I can sit at during in-class performances and see everything, and a couple of small tables that are used for various things... but mostly I just have chairs.  I've never had a problem with it.  I have never thought that admin is overloading my room because I have space.  And, as a bonus, I've never had standardized testing happen in my room because there's nothing to take tests on. :)

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Monument CO

• 5.  RE: Tables vs. No tables

Posted 02-15-2015 00:31

The first thing I did when I got to my school was have all the desks removed from my room and replaced with just chairs.  We also have a bunch of clipboards and there are counters on 2 of the walls that kids can sit at if they choose.  Mostly, when we do a writing assignment, they get into crazy weird positions and I'll see them sitting on the floor and using the chair as a desk, or lying on the floor writing, or even sitting on a chair, with another chair on their lap, using that as a desk.  Kids are weird ;-)

The nice thing with this is it gives us the ability to sit in book groups (small circles), a large circle for group discussions, rows for an audience, or just stack all the chairs in the back of the room and have all that space for playing.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 6.  RE: Tables vs. No tables

Posted 02-19-2015 10:10

I have some folding tables that spend most of the time folded up and leaning against the wall underneath my whiteboard.  When we need to do any real table work, students can quickly set them up and arrange them.  Most of the time, however, I make do with chairs, which are easy to configure in any arrangement that a given class may require.

My school is so crowded, however, that almost every classroom is used every period.  We have traveling teachers who move from room to room period by period, and when a teacher has a planning period, chances are that another teacher is assigned to use that teacher's room for that period.  One year a social studies teacher was assigned to hold a history class in my room during my planning period.  During our pre-planning days before school started, an administrator came to me and mentioned that they would be putting desks in my room, at this history teacher's request.  I actually had to work to convince the administrator that the room set-up needed to respect the teacher who used the room full-time rather than the teacher who only used it one period per day, especially when those desks would seriously compromise my subject and the way it is taught.  Fortunately, I won that battle.  And I have happily "hosted" teachers of everything from French to AP Calculus, helping them learn how to use my space productively.

I love my flexible space with about forty chairs, a dozen folding tables, and some generic set pieces (square and rectangular card tables, stools, a three-step ladder, a three-panel folding room divider, etc.) that sit off in a corner when not needed for classroom rehearsals or performances.  And custodians love me because my floor can be cleared in a way that makes it easy to clean!

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 7.  RE: Tables vs. No tables

Posted 02-22-2015 14:20
    I have a very small classroom with old plastic chairs set up around the perimeter.  My classes have gotten as large as 36 and this seems to be the best solution.  We use the middle of the room when we do class presentations and performances.  Whenever we need more space for group performances and such, we go to whatever locations in the school aren't being used at that time: the stage, auditorium, lunchroom, science lab, or even outside.  Each of my students are required to have a 1" 3-ring binder for my class.  This allows them to keep all of their bell assignments, notes, scripts, and handouts in one location and not "lose them" when they leave class.  The binder also makes taking notes easy.  I keep a stock of binders from previous semesters' students who didn't want theirs to give to students who express to me a financial hardship in purchasing the required binder.  My room is still very full, but we make it work.  Best of luck!

Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS

• 8.  RE: Tables vs. No tables

Posted 08-31-2018 13:09

Reviving an old thread for new ideas! 

For those of you in the "Chairs and folding tables camp" - what have you liked/disliked about your set up, table sizes, storage method, etc.  Basically I'm looking for a "best practices" when in this situation.

I have a large classroom, chairs only, small stage with cubes and a step unit, and then room in the back for circle activities (comfortable for about 25 kids, can do a class a 30 if we're nice.)

I trying to decide if I want to go with a smaller number of large tables like these (that seat 4-6)

or square 4 tops, or the smaller, 2 person narrow tables.

I'm thinking fewer, larger tables would take less time to set up, wondering what the cons would be.

Ashley Bishop
    Teacher
    Birmingham AL

• 9.  RE: Tables vs. No tables

Posted 09-01-2018 07:47
    Over the past 16 years I have tried nearly every configuration, but I have come back to, and landed on the idea of just using tables and chairs.

I have six 6 foot long tables that fold up. The trick with them is to make sure they are the high quality tables, because we do move them around and stack them a lot. Also, make sure that they have a smooth, hard top on them, (otherwise everyone's handwriting is bumpy and difficult to read, like on those plastic ones). I usually configure them in a horseshoe shape, so I have a Thrust stage area in the middle, right from the get-go. The long tables are also perfect, (alone or pushed together,) when we have sewing, or other projects which require a larger space to work on.

Also, make sure that the chairs you use are stackable. (I prefer the very strong, squarish chairs they use in most band and choir rooms.)

This allows your class to clear your entire space in a matter of a minute or two when needed, but also allows you to have prop furniture, If desired.

Beth Keith
    Theatre Teacher
    Harrisonville High School
    Grandview MO

• 10.  RE: Tables vs. No tables

Posted 09-02-2018 10:48
    Having students at common table is important to my teaching and my directing, but I also want my classroom to be flexible. I have found that tables that roll and also tilt up are best. I currently have these.

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 11.  RE: Tables vs. No tables

Posted 09-04-2018 09:22
    Ashley, I think our rooms are identical, except that I had the "stage" taken out a couple of years ago. I gives me SO much more flexibility in how we use the room. I have long plastic tables and chairs and vary the configuration as needed. I do have one traditional desk...just in case someone needs to be alone. ;)

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL