Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Indian (country) costumes

Posted 02-07-2015 22:11

The fun in doing Shakespeare is that you can mostly get away with setting it anywhere you like, with only a bare minimum of justification other than 'Why not? It could be fun.'

With this in mind, we're currently rehearsing Viking 'Romeo & Juliet' with grunge metal movement pieces interspersed throughout, and an Indian setting for 'A Midsummer Night's Dream.' India the country, not Indian-very-unPC-name-for-Native-American-etc.

Anyone have clues on where one could find inexpensive or preferably free Indian style dresses/sari's/sherwani's and other cool Indian attire? Was doing some window browsing and having a small coronary. Any help or offers gratefully appreciated!

------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL

• 2.  RE: Indian (country) costumes

Posted 02-08-2015 12:24
    I am currently doing Romeo and Juliet as a musical set in 1960s London with all Beatles music. The kids were very skeptical at first and now are loving it and singing the songs all day long.

Mary Bishop
    teacher
    San Francisco CA

• 3.  RE: Indian (country) costumes

Posted 02-08-2015 18:47
    Do you have any  students of Indian descent at your school?  When we did JOURNEY TO THE WEST I was in need of a large amount of Indian clothing for the last scenes when the monk reaches the Western Heaven and was lucky enough to find a student whose mother was able to secure me incredibly beautiful pieces for everyone. Much better than anything I could have built or could afford to purchase. Some stuff she had and some she got from others she knew in the Indian community in our area.  I think you would find that they would be thrilled to help and share their cultural heritage.  

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 4.  RE: Indian (country) costumes

Posted 02-09-2015 07:01
    Why not try to get the local Indian population involved?

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: Indian (country) costumes

Posted 02-12-2015 10:34

I read this as "Indian Country" costumes, which is how we refer to the land on, and around the reservations here in Montana. As a native American director in our school district, I take no offense at being called Indian, unless it is used in a pejorative manor. Digression aside is there a sizable Indian population near that can help? Getting advice from members of that culture (imho) is the best way to make sure everything stays authentic, and honorable to it.

If you ever need advice on costuming or casting for midwestern/plains American Indians/Native Americans I would be glad to help.

Darren Means
    Hardin MT