Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Dearly Departed - abortion content for high school?

Posted 02-06-2015 15:11
    "Dearly Departed" has been recommended to me to replace another show and we are going to have to quickly choose a play and start rehearsals next week to meet our show performance calendar deadline...I understand there is dialogue about an abortion and a KFC bucket - has this been an issue with any high school trying to perform this script?  As I have a few scripts to move through in a limited time, any assistance/insight is welcome.  Thank you.

------------------------------
    Dave Thomas
    Jacksonville FL

• 2.  RE: Dearly Departed - abortion content for high school?

Posted 02-07-2015 11:15
    I'm doing that show at my school. I never thought of that to be an issue. I read it with all my classes and they cracked up. i thank you should give the scenes to your administration to approve it or at least a heads up. ------------------------------ Bryan F. Mitchell Theatre Teacher Tallahassee FL ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Dearly Departed - abortion content for high school?

Posted 02-10-2015 14:05
    It's not an abortion, it's a miscarriage. I've seen this show many times and it's very funny, but that bit always makes me uncomfortable, even with an adult cast. I personally think it's a little much for a school show. But that's just me.

Dianne Daniels
    Birmingham AL

• 4.  RE: Dearly Departed - abortion content for high school?

Posted 02-10-2015 19:19
    My director removed that scene just because she had fear for the reaction. The sbow didn't suffer much because of it. 

Danysha Lamadieu
    ITO Communications Editor
    Covington GA

• 5.  RE: Dearly Departed - abortion content for high school?

Posted 02-11-2015 11:36
    I have directed Dearly Departed in three different high schools in Kansas.  I have never heard so much as a comment about the miscarriage scene.  I performed it as written and would do it again.

Gregg Ratzloff
    Shawnee KS

• 6.  RE: Dearly Departed - abortion content for high school?

Posted 04-22-2018 21:33
    We just finished our production this past weekend and it was a huge success.  I did feel uncomfortable about Lucille miscarrying into a KFC bucket.  We tweaked it a bit to make it less distasteful but kept the humor of Lucille discovering the bucket later in the show.  Reach out if you'd like to know how we handled it.

K Lang
    Ticonderoga NY