Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Rear Projection Screens

Posted 02-06-2015 13:16

The production I'm working on calls for a projection screen.  My students suggested that we do a rear projection.  Does anyone know what type of material I should use to create such a screen that won't bleed but yet still produce a good quality image?

------------------------------
    Michael Klimzak
    Drama Club Advisor
    Beach Park IL

• 2.  RE: Rear Projection Screens

Posted 02-07-2015 06:27

Hi,

Rosebrand offers some products that might be of interest. www.rosebrand.com

Best Wishes,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 3.  RE: Rear Projection Screens

Posted 02-07-2015 08:05
    For small screens, I have used opaque shower curtain liners.

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 4.  RE: Rear Projection Screens

Posted 02-08-2015 12:10

You can project an image on anything-- just depends on what you want.  Some surfaces I've used-- window screen, industrial gauze, scrim, rear projection material, muslin.

As mentioned in other posts, Rose Brand and Rosco both sell a rear projection material that can be sort of pricey, but it works great-- depending on the size of the screen you want, might be a good choice.  Front Light spill will be an issue, however, and the angle of those lighting instruments as well as placement is always a concern.  The material I have used from them is sort of shinny, so it tends to pick up a lot of bounce, which can be frustrating.

Something else you might try is just to size some muslin on a frame with a mixture of gloss laundry starch and water... makes a nice translucent surface.  Might also try tinting your starch mixture with a bit of glaze and or sizing with glaze and some pigment-- you might be able to get a really nice surface that you could texture in front as well.

I would recommend trying a few sample experiments-- say three by three or so and see what you like. 

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE: Rear Projection Screens

Posted 02-07-2015 08:32
    Check out options at Rosebrand.com ------------------------------ David Kramer Mt Sinai NY ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Rear Projection Screens

Posted 02-07-2015 09:25
    We've used rear screens a lot and own several--using one right now for a production in fact.  The best thing to do is to use rear screen projection material made especially for this.  Rosco Screen is a popular brand.  You can order it from Norcostco-  -www.norcostco.com  You can get it in white, black or standard gray.  Hope this helps!

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 7.  RE: Rear Projection Screens

Posted 02-07-2015 20:44

Frosted shower curtain works as a great rear-projection screen but you are limited in size. You can put them together with clear (not frosted) packing tape.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY