Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Audition - running time?

Posted 01-30-2015 11:05

I have a group preparing to bring Don Zolidis' The Audition to a middle school drama festival this spring.

The festival has a strict 40 minute time limit, and although the running time for the play is listed as 40 minutes, we are concerned that it might be a bit on the long side.

My questions are:  has anyone performed this show before, and what was your final running time?  If you performed for a competition, did you need to make cuts?  And if you made cuts, what did you cut?

(I'll be contacting Playscripts, Inc. to get permission, but thought I'd start here for advice!  We would rather not make cuts if we don't need to.)

Thanks,

Kristin Hall 

------------------------------
    Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 2.  RE: The Audition - running time?

Posted 01-31-2015 08:28

Although I can't speak for Don on this issue, you can reach him on FaceBook or through his agent,  edevlinlit@aol.com

All the best with your production.

Arlene Hutton
    playwright
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: The Audition - running time?

Posted 01-31-2015 23:07
    Our festival also has the 40 minute limit. We have performed it several times at 36 minutes, including the placement of set pieces. This includes Carrie's song of about 2:00 and each of Yuma's dancing sequences. We did not make any cuts. I really like this show and we scored well with the judges. Have fun!
    Robin Rothman
    Director
    Margate FL

• 4.  RE: The Audition - running time?

Posted 02-02-2015 18:13

Thank you!!  That is extremely helpful (and sets my mind at ease).  If we keep Carrie's audition song to about 1 minute, that will keep us even safer.

Thanks again!

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 5.  RE: The Audition - running time?

Posted 02-03-2015 09:58
    I'm doing *The Audition* as part of a One Act night this year so if it works
    out, we will be taking it to a One Act festival next spring. Let me
    know how it works.

No matter where you go, there you are!

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Kristin Hall via Educational Theatre

• 6.  RE: The Audition - running time?

Posted 02-05-2015 06:21
    We performed it at districts. It came in at just under 40. I had to keep rehearsing pacing with the warm up scene in the beginning. ------------------------------ Courtney Hess Palm Beach Gardens FL ------------------------------