Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Drowsy Chaperone Skates

Posted 01-29-2015 16:58
    I'm producing The Drowsy Chaperone in May and need ideas/resources for the skates in "Accident Waiting to Happen". Our local prop houses (So. Cal) don't have the right looking skates. Did anyone here rent from a company outside of CA that had a good rate?

------------------------------
    Nicole Pedroche
    Drama Teacher
    Covina CA

• 2.  RE: Drowsy Chaperone Skates

Posted 01-30-2015 13:41
    I'm doing this show too, and I purchased some on Amazon for about $45. The wheels are red, but I thought that I would paint them silver and be done with it. Best of luck! The Murphy Bed and Airplane are much bigger worries for me.

Joyce Thrift
    Theater Teacher
    West Contra Costa Unified School Distric
    Hercules CA

• 3.  RE: Drowsy Chaperone Skates

Posted 01-30-2015 21:24
    Yeah. We have a great scenic designer who's working on those issues for us. Do you mind sharing the link for the skates on Amazon? ------------------------------ Nicole Pedroche Drama Teacher Covina CA ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Drowsy Chaperone Skates

Posted 02-04-2015 13:07

Can't wait to do this musical myself! It plays like a riot.

Wondering what you are figuring for the airplane? Remembering that we have the old adage, 'it's theatre...cheap can also be highly functional and basic and still be called 'directorial vision'....

Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL

• 5.  RE: Drowsy Chaperone Skates

Posted 02-06-2015 07:54

I did Chaperone last year and ended up buying the skates from online as well.  It was a decent price, and I was able to use them this year for Footloose.

As far as the Murphy Bed, we punted and ended up using a fainting couch.  

The plane was a larger undertaking.  I wanted something impressive that would actually be stable enough for  the 4 couples could actually ride on.  We have no fly space, so we needed to wheel the plane on and off the stage from the wings.  I collaborated with two of my dads, and we built a rolling biplane with a 16 foot wing span. The base platform was 4' x 12', with heavy duty casters placed every two feet.  For the fuselage,  we re-purposed the giant hair spray can from Hairspray, which housed a platform for Trix to sit on and the electrical controls.  For the nose of the plane, we used an old dog igloo, to which we attached a ceiling fan (which rotated).  The two lower wing sections (one on each side of the fuselage) were 4' x 6' platforms.  We used 4"x4"s to attach them to the rolling base platform.

A local company donated 1/2" iron bars, and the local Home Depot was nice enough to cut and thread them for us free of charge.  We had them cut in 4' lengths and used them to support the upper wing.  We also used PVC pipe to make the cross braces in the mid wing section.   The upper wing was one 4' x 16' piece, and was quite light.  We made a frame of 2"x4", with a piece of thin plywood on the bottom,  The rest we built up using foam insulation sheets.  We then wrapped the upper wing in tyvek and painted it.  One of the dads wired the wings with running lights.  We painted a sky scene on tyvek and attached it as a skirt to hang from the lower wing to hide the bottom platform. It was stable enough to sit two couples on each lower wing section.  The stage crew members who rolled it out ended up having to sit on the back end of the rolling platform as counter-weight for the  actors on the lower wing.  The crew members were hidden by the skirt. All told, we had 13 cast and crew members on the plane. I also had 10 girls from the ensemble with clouds cut out of foam core singing back up vocals on "I Do I Do In The Sky".  

Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA