Open Forum

View Only

7-12yr old camp PLAY NEEDED!!

• 1.  7-12yr old camp PLAY NEEDED!!

Posted 01-28-2015 07:19

I am director of a youth summer program. I am needed a play to work shop for a group of 15 kids ages 7-12. Very minimal set/scenic pieces. Any suggestions???

------------------------------
    Jeannette Galup
    Drama Director
    Miami FL

• 2.  RE: 7-12yr old camp PLAY NEEDED!!

Posted 01-29-2015 10:27
    For the past five Summers I have directed a youth theatre production of what I call environmental audience friendly plays. Our stage is an outdoor patio with trees. Actors hide, make entrances, and cross from tree to tree. Many of the Dramatic Publishing youth plays and musicals work. JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, ALICE IN WONDERLAND, WINNIE THE POOH, PETER RABBIT...all have trees. It is great fun. ------------------------------ Gai Jones Ojai CA ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: 7-12yr old camp PLAY NEEDED!!

Posted 01-29-2015 21:45
    I suggest Rap-Punzel! 

Kid oriented and a short show. Narrators are rappers and everything rhymes! Its hilarious!

Danysha Lamadieu
    ITO Communications Editor
    Covington GA

• 4.  RE: 7-12yr old camp PLAY NEEDED!!

Posted 01-29-2015 11:09

Why not use creative drama techniques to build an original

play?  There are lots of books and workshops designed to help with that process. The play can be created to meet your time and physical requirements. 

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    Alexandria VA

• 5.  RE: 7-12yr old camp PLAY NEEDED!!

Posted 01-29-2015 11:25
    The past couple of years I've done a camp with the JR version of whatever musical we do in the Spring. That way I can reuse the set and props, and sometimes depending on the sizes reuse costumes. I've done Getting to Know Once Upon A Mattress and The Wizard of Oz. 

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 6.  RE: 7-12yr old camp PLAY NEEDED!!

Posted 01-30-2015 06:10

Hi Jeannette,

Are you familiar with Magic Theater?  It contains short scenes that can include any number of actors and ability levels.  Also, I love to bring to life children's stories for theater camps.  The last camp I did we performed 5 Robert Munsch books including; Pigs, Moira's Birthday, Paperbag Princess, Murmel Murmel, and Aaron's Hair.  Mr. Munsch has scripted some of his books.  I scripted these myself with his permission because I wanted them for a specific number of performers.  We connected the program with an opening and closing song.  Best wishes.

Vickie Fuller
    Yardley PA

• 7.  RE: 7-12yr old camp PLAY NEEDED!!

Posted 01-31-2015 09:34
    Magic Theatre is great. I designed the set for this at a professional children's theatre. There are some great adaptations of fairy tales and one called the Dinosaur Play by Kathy and Bill Hotchner (Dramatice publishing) they are written for adult actors with kid audience members playing parts and participating. Would work really well with kids actors bringing adults on stage. ------------------------------ Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO ------------------------------

• 8.  RE: 7-12yr old camp PLAY NEEDED!!

Posted 01-30-2015 07:45
    Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but The Princess Plays by Colleen Neuman (Samuel French) are really fun and easy on the technical end.  Each of the three plays is about 25 minutes long. The cast is flexible, and there's enough scope for characterization to keep the big kids interested.

Paige Brey
    Magnolia School
    Tallahassee FL

• 9.  RE: 7-12yr old camp PLAY NEEDED!!

Posted 01-31-2015 09:38
    Thought of two more. Card Play and Mankind & Co. Both Sam Frech both variable cast size. Both as easy or comp,ex with tech as you want. Both accessible to kids. Card Play is about the drama between characters who are in fact playing cards. Mankind & Co is a kid friendly adaptation of Greek myths. ------------------------------ Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO ------------------------------

• 10.  RE: 7-12yr old camp PLAY NEEDED!!

Posted 01-30-2015 18:15
    Are you coming to the Junior Thespian Conference in Nashville Mar. 19-21?

Vicki Bartholomew
    Playwright
    Sherwood OR

• 11.  RE: 7-12yr old camp PLAY NEEDED!!

Posted 02-02-2015 19:15

Hi Jeannette,

I have a couple of books that I got off of Amazon that have fun fractured fairy tale scenes and character monologues in them that might work for you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0439517621/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Fabulously-Funny-Fairy-Tale-Plays/dp/0439153891/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1566081165/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1566081920/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lynda Gibson
    Jr. Troupe 88305
    Flushing MI