Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Senior Recognition

Posted 11-01-2013 11:05
    An idea that has been floating around in my high school's Thespian troupe lately is the idea of a senior night for any senior members in our Thespian troupe. If we decide to do this, we want to make sure we make it a fun, memorable night!

Do any of your schools do a senior night for Thespians? If so, what all happens at the event? Do you have tips?

Thank you!

-------------------------------------------
    Katie Ferchen
    Region IV Rep ITO

• 2.  RE:Senior Recognition

Posted 11-07-2013 14:39
    Hi Katie! What do you mean by senior night? Like a formal, banquet type event at the end of the year or a casual, fun event with the entire Thespian troupe?

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association

• 3.  RE:Senior Recognition

Posted 11-08-2013 14:58
    Katie, 

My general value system eschews a big formal banquet, but we do an end-of-year event (picnic).  We pot luck with students and parents throughout the department.  We hand out letters and we recognize and "roast" the seniors as well.  It is a great way to honor those kids and your entire department without having to break your back doing another event.

We also have a senior bow on the closing night of each performance.  

Jeremy Goldson

• 4.  RE:Senior Recognition

Posted 11-09-2013 10:55
    We have an awards night for the troupe/club so we all recognize the seniors. 

We have had potlucks (decorated tables, formal dress) followed by awards--Certificates for all who participated, trophies and medals for special recognitions, scholarship money for best thespian (most hours in their high school career).  I also give out a director's award to anyone I feel deserves recognition for their contribution to the troupe and the program. 

Incoming thespians are ceremoniously brought into the troupe at this time.

Over the years, depending on my talent pool, we have had power points and videos made of the years activities, sets created for the event.

Carla Stanley
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Kern High School District-Shafter High

• 5.  RE:Senior Recognition

Posted 11-11-2013 09:01
    We don't have a separate "Senior Night," but I do purchase EdTA Student Memberships for those graduating folk who are planning on some aspect of theatre as a major/minor in college.

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 6.  RE:Senior Recognition

Posted 11-12-2013 09:48
    At my former school we had an awards night where we honored seniors at the end by having everyone form a circle on the stage and the seniors leave one piece of knowledge and gratitude to the underclassmen. They say it aloud and as they do we record them and then put it together in a form that the seniors can have as a gift and I play it at the start of the new year for us to remember what was left behind. I is very inspiring. In addition to that on the last night of the last play of the year (most often the musical). Having sent out invitations before hand to parents and seniors not in that play (underclassmen Thespian Officers do this). Following the final curtain, I ask all seniors to come to the stage along with their parents. I give the parents comedy/tragedy mask pins (3 years in theatre) or Mask Medallions (4 years in theatre) or a ribbon that says "outstanding service" (1-2 years in theatre); to place on their senior and the seniors each have a rose to present to their parents in gratitude for their service to them throughout the years of high school theatre. I name each student individually and state their plans for the future (military service, college, university, work, etc.) then I give them a moment to exchange the materials I have given them. It only takes about 20 minutes and it makes a HUGE impact on the parents, the underclassmen watching who want the MEDALLION, and the seniors who are able to recognize their parents! It actually help to retain senior focus on theatre to as they want to be there for that final moment on stage. I was worried the first time I did it that the community that came to the show would want to leave, but to my surprise there are members of the community that come to that show because they WANT to see who is honored, look at those parents, and hear what the kids will be doing next year.
    It was lovely to see the community members following the show go up to the seniors and talk to them about their future plans and past accomplishments.

Leslie Van Leishout
    Theater Education Coordinator
    Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

• 7.  RE:Senior Recognition

Posted 02-27-2014 10:52
    We do a senior night in the following way:
    We identify all the seniors, they are then assigned to a junior or sophomore (depending on number) on opeing night the junior gets little gifts for the senior and leaves it in each of their classes.  For first period they are given a sash and a tiara/crown to wear and a doughnut.  then the little gifts conclude with a larger gift in their dressing rooms.  It makes the seniors feel really special and the juniors don't mind doing it because they know next year will be thier turn.

Michelle Meyer