Open Forum

View Only

Accompaniment Cds

• 1.  Accompaniment Cds

Posted 01-27-2015 21:11
    I know a lot of folks here do MTI shows. When you don't have an orchestra how do you get an accompaniment cd to go along it? I had been under the assumption that they included one. The kinda that always says "rehearsal tracks" every 20 secs or so until they send you a final version. I'm curious because I'm now doing Pippin and I fear I've shot myself in the foot for the show if I can't get an accompaniment for the show. MTI didn't send me one. Jason Lehman Jackson, GA

-------------------------------------------
    Jason Lehman
    Griffin GA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 2.  RE: Accompaniment Cds

Posted 01-28-2015 06:49

Jason,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, as far as I know (and I, too, am performing Pippin this spring, and it's my fourth musical from MTI), there's no such thing as an "accompaniment cd" through MTI.  The material listed on MTI's page for Pippin (it's in the tab under "Resources") doesn't include anything of the kind -- the closest I know of is the "Reference Recording," which you should have received as part of the standard package and which, in my experience, is always the Broadway recording -- usually the original cast recording, but almost always the recording in the same key as the materials sent to you.

They do have what's called OrchExtra, which is -- best I can tell -- an accompaniment supplement, meant to provide some extra parts as a way to elevate missing parts in a pit; but also, best I can tell, it's unavailable for Pippin (again, check that "Resources" tab).

They do have a program listed for Pippin called RehearScore, which is a phenomenal reference for rehearsals and such -- I have used it for three out of the four shows that offered it (Into the WoodsThe Music Man, and, now, Pippin; I didn't know about its efficacy/couldn't afford it when I did Little Shop of Horrors).  This sounds close to what will serve your needs -- it's basically a program where you can isolate different musical parts, including vocal and accompaniment, to use as a rehearsal playback track.  I do know it's not intended for performance, and only intended for rehearsal -- they are, essentially, a collection of midi-files, so no matter what settings you put them on, they'll all sound very computer-y and mechanical.  It's considered "Additional Materials" under you usual MTI package, though -- for us, it cost an extra $300, I think, but I've found it's well worth it.

Beyond that, discussing your needs with your account representative at MTI might be the way to go?  I do think their assumption is that productions will be providing their own musical accompaniment, so they don't produce any sort of CD intended for playback on the day of the show.  You might want to re-read your contract, too, because some of that stuff gets stipulated as well.

I hope this helps -- to whatever extent it might.  Break a leg and let us all know how it goes.

Russell Paulette
    Rappahannock County Public Schools
    Washington, VA

------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Accompaniment Cds

Posted 01-28-2015 07:00

My understanding is that you have to contract for it.  It is different than the rehearsal track.  I know they have one for PIPPIN because my counter part at our other high school just used it. With TRW  you pay one cost for rehearsal track and additional for the performance track.
    Marya Lucca-Thyberg
    Bellevue NE

• 4.  RE: Accompaniment Cds

Posted 01-28-2015 07:44

Sometimes MTI will have the tracks.  Just look on their site to see if they offer the accompaniment CD.  It only cost about $400 through them.  The tracks sound good as well.  If they don't have it, there is a company called MT Pit.  They have a wide range of musicals already on track.  They are the ones who will send the music that says, "rehearsal track" throughout the music.  You get your "real" music a couple of weeks before the show.  They don't have every show, but the ones they do have typically cost around $1,000.00.  It's EXPENSIVE, but they are VERY good.  They can make edits and change the key as well.

Charity Henry

Franklin County High
    Charity Moon Henry
    Lavonia GA

• 5.  RE: Accompaniment Cds

Posted 01-28-2015 07:57

Jason,

I have used Right On Cue Services for the past several years (https://www.rightoncueservices.com/). It's an extra fee for musical licensing, but they work well and my students seem to enjoy having the practice tracks. We live in a small area that doesn't have the resources to provide a pit orchestra. They provide you with rehearsal tracks, allows you to make tempo, vamp and key changes that upload to your performers practice files and then they send you a completed copy before the show. They do charge extra if the changes require more time but I think it's fairly reasonable. They don't have all shows, but their website has a list. Hope it helps. 

Robert Jessup
    Advanced Drama Teacher
    Franklin High School
    Franklin, NC

• 6.  RE: Accompaniment Cds

Posted 01-28-2015 09:16
    There are two major companies that provide tracks for shows. They are The MT Pit (no association with MTI) and Aztec Showtrax. Pippin isn't available through The MT Pit, but you can get it through Aztec Showtrax. I have not used Aztec Showtrax before. Either one of these will cost you some money with fees varying depending on your contract through MTI.

Katherine Gibson
    Strafford MO

• 7.  RE: Accompaniment Cds

Posted 01-28-2015 10:06
    I've done many many MTI shows and the only time you get an accompaniment cd is when you're doing a junior version.  As far as I know they don't have a junior version of Pippin. 

Faye Ryan
    Fine Arts Chair/Theatre Director
    Chicago IL

• 8.  RE: Accompaniment Cds

Posted 01-28-2015 11:45

Hi Jason,

MTI offers an "OrchEXTRA" service for some of its shows, which is a computer software that performs the orchestra.  They do not offer it for every show, and it appears that Pippin is not one of the shows that has this option. ( http://www.mtishows.com/resources.asp?id=6_1_0_5&theatricalresourceid=31

There is rehearsal software available for Pippin, called RehearScore.  MTI is pretty clear that RehearScore is not to be used for performances.

The "reference recording" listed as a resource is usually the Broadway recording of the show.

It seems that you might be in a pickle here.  Is it possible to get a pianist to accompany you for performances?  It won't be a fill orchestra, but there will be music  to perform by. 

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Monument CO

• 9.  RE: Accompaniment Cds

Posted 01-28-2015 12:44

The only way that I am aware of that you can get the Accompaniment CD is to purchase the MTI JR show pack.  It contains the practice CD's for the students as well as the actual performance accompaniment CD.  If you have already purchased the "regular" Pippin, I am unsure what you might be able to work out with MTI.  The songs tend to be in different keys for the JR versions but you might see what they will do to help you.

EHS
    Ellen Starkey
    Drama/Vocal Teacher
    Baton Rouge LA

• 10.  RE: Accompaniment Cds

Posted 01-28-2015 13:53

Hello Jason,

MTI and other licensing companies often provide CDs with their young or middle school aged shows, (jr. shows from MTI, Jazz musicals and others from TRW, etc.). Beyond that, different licensing companies work with different music companies to provide additional musical products for an added charge. For example we provide Show Ready (rehearsal music and software) and Stage Tracks (performance music and software) for TRW, Samuel French, StageRights and Plays for Young Audiences' shows. MTI and R&H work with another company to provide their rehearsal and performance accompaniment. Everything mentioned above is endorsed and sold by the licensing companies. 

There are also companies like Aztec and MT Pit that have been mentioned that are not endorsed or affiliated with any licensing company but make and sell accompaniment music for shows for a fee. We at Right On Cue Services also provide music for some non-endorsed shows. I know this is a bit convoluted but please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Jameson McDougal
    Right On Cue Services
    Provo UT

• 11.  RE:Accompaniment Cds

Posted 01-28-2015 16:28
    Thank you for all the information. I did get rehearScore. It's a great program and I had just found out about MTI Pit. The others are new to me. Hopefully I can get something for Pippin through one of the other companies. Otherwise I need to brush up on my piano.

Jason Lehman
    Griffin GA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile