Open Forum

View Only

Large cast ensemble plays

• 1.  Large cast ensemble plays

Posted 01-24-2015 07:31
    We are in a frustrating situation as we had applied for rights to do a production this spring that is being handled by a foreign management company and have not heard anything about our application (we received confirmation that they'd received it) in almost two months. The company says to "allow for up to three weeks". I have contacted them repeatedly and gotten no response. So I am ready to drop that show.  Here's what we're looking for to take its place: We need an ensemble-based script for 12-15 actors, preferably with some cross-casting possibilities, and multi-character options for at least some of the players.  We have done 2 Mary Zimmerman productions- "Metamorphoses" and "Journey to the West", "The Laramie Project", a van Itallie, some adapted and devised works, "Almost, Maine", lots of Shakespeare and Moliere, in both traditional and non-traditional approaches. We're looking for something challenging and sophisticated, with a fair amount of movement possibilities. In the sequence of shows that we're in right now, we need something pretty contemporary. We need to pick a play and get the rights by about 3 weeks from now. I defer to you, the experts, for suggestions. 

------------------------------
    Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    Alexandria VA

• 2.  RE: Large cast ensemble plays

Posted 01-25-2015 07:37
    Acts of God? It's carried by Playscripts my kids found it a little difficult at first because of the movement representing the tornado and the characters' inner turmoil dealing with the aftermath of a tornado going through their town. They grew to love it and talk still talk about it as seniors. ------------------------------ Holly Thompson Worthington OH ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Large cast ensemble plays

Posted 01-25-2015 08:30
    Tom Stoppard's "Fifteen Minute Hamlet" is wonderful to do. I believe it's part of a longer work, Dagg's Hamlet or Dogg's Hamlet.  Challenging, brilliant, fast-paced, it remains one of my favorites.

Charles McMeekin
    Sharon VT

• 4.  RE: Large cast ensemble plays

Posted 01-25-2015 08:43

Have you thought about Commedia deL'arte?  Servant of Two Masters might work for you.

Kristie Bach
    Traverse City MI

• 5.  RE: Large cast ensemble plays

Posted 01-25-2015 11:28

And They Dance Real Slow In Jackson by Jim Leonard, Jr.

The Skin Of Our Teeth by Thornton Wilder

The Passage by Robert Lawson (an adaptation of Moby Dick.  Wonderful show)

Jeremy Goldson
    Denver CO

• 6.  RE: Large cast ensemble plays

Posted 01-25-2015 12:09
    Two shows that come to mind that I have done are M*A*S*H and Voices From the High School. Although Voices was written a number of years ago, its theme and multiple situations are still relevant today.  And M*A*S*H is just a fun show with lots of characters that get to do lots of "fun stuff".  Better yet, both can be done with either an extensive set or almost nothing.  Have a good show!

Cary Shapiro
    Ankeny IA

• 7.  RE: Large cast ensemble plays

Posted 01-25-2015 13:54
    We've done every MZ piece available and some still unpublished, she's amazing--if you don't mind doing more of her stuff, I'd highly recommend ODYSSEY, ARABIAN NIGHTS, SECRET IN THE WINGS and especially ARGONAUTIKA--great complexity and opportunity for theatricality. You can see images of our productions of these on our website:  www.appletonnorththeatre.com  under "Spring Plays." I'd also take a look at Trevor Nunn and John Caird's PETER PAN OR THE BOY WHO WOULD NOT GROW UP. It's based on Barrie's own scripts and novel--and returns to his original complex, darker vision.  Also have you looked at Sarah Ruhl's EURIDYCE?  Another great piece if you have the right kids is Barry Kornhauser's CYRANO.  And finally this being the sesquicentennial of the publication of ALICE IN WONDERLAND, we are doing a version of that this spring.   There are a million versions out there--the closest to the book is Eva Le Gallienne's Broadway version from the 30's.  Hope this helps.

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 8.  RE: Large cast ensemble plays

Posted 01-25-2015 18:23
    Have you considered material by William Mastrosimone. His stuff is geared towards high school students, but is quite well written and is very open ended.

Mark Johnson
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Farmington Hills MI

• 9.  RE: Large cast ensemble plays

Posted 01-26-2015 08:20

The Visit by Dürrenmatt - definitely challenging, lots of roles and group scenes, written in 1956, but still feels contemporary!

Lots of movement and non-traditional staging opportunities, though it can also be done with more traditional staging.
    Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 10.  RE: Large cast ensemble plays

Posted 01-26-2015 10:31

Have you looked at Robert Caisley's Front? It would require several dialects including high British, Australian, and German, but it's great material. It's a long show, but not all of the material is suitable for High School, depending on what your administration allows. It was written using the Joint Stock Method which means it was developed by researching a topic (in this case WWII) and then improvising scenes which were then set and a script was written. In Front, each scene, while being connect to all the others, can also stand alone. We loved it, so did our audience.

Jessica Zottneck
    Theatre Teacher
    CARLSBAD NM

• 11.  RE: Large cast ensemble plays

Posted 01-26-2015 10:38

Though you may have done many of these based on your information, one of them may not already be on your list and all might work for you.

Some more Greek:

"The Love of the Nightengale" - Dramatic Publishing for drama

"The Birds" Walter Kerr's translation/adaptation - Dramatists for comedy

Pulitzer Prize winners:

JB by Archibald Macleish - Sam French

The Skin of Our Teeth  by Thornton Wilder - Sam French

Some Classic Literature:

"Room With a View" by Christina Calvit - Playscripts - delightful romantic comedy

Haven't done, but have on my list:

Jane Eyre - also Calvit and Playscripts (love her adaptations of the classics)

Jill Campbell
    Pine Grove Mills PA

• 12.  RE: Large cast ensemble plays

Posted 01-26-2015 12:18

How about a "Book-It Theatre" script? Seattle has a theater company that does fully produced scripts of books that use narration and dialogue all spoken as characters. It is a very theatrical style, and if you are thinking of Reader's Theatre, the only thing it has in common is the script looks the same. Audiences accept the convention quickly, especially young audiences, and it allows you to fully embrace the language of a writer with the added challenge of justifying the character. There are video clips you can look at to get the idea. They have some fantastic scripts for Jane Austen, as well as John Irving, Berkeley Breathed ("Red Rider Came Calling") and more.

Let me know if you are interested. I have adapted a script in this style for a large ensemble cast of Alice in Wonderland (flexible cast of 22 parts, but you can use doubling in many ways). It has been produced in WA, FL, and this spring OR too. I have a copy of their version of Little Women too. I can also put you in touch with the theater for other titles. I have the rights for Alice and they are quick to respond about using their titles. The easier titles for royalty rights are the ones for books in the public domain.
    Barb Lachman
    Drama Director
    Shoreline WA

• 13.  RE: Large cast ensemble plays

Posted 01-26-2015 20:02

Here are a few we've done that my kids enjoyed.

Pride and Prejudice

Dracula

Sherlock Holmes and the West End Horror

Happily Ever Once Upon (kind of a cute continuation of CInderella 20 years later)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ