Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  PA Theater Education Certification?

Posted 01-23-2015 13:50

Did you know that there is no Education Certification available for Theatre in Pennsylvania?  I've known for quite some time and am appalled by this.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with their respective state's Department of Education to try and add a certification availability?  

The answers I've received from the Dept. of Ed so far have been 1. We've never found a need to offer a certification in theater.   And, 2. Communications covers theater.  

The first answer is just due to lack of awareness of the needs of arts education.  The second is due to believing that somehow some peripheral knowledge of the art form is all that's required to teach it.

That's like saying the basketball coach is qualified to coach cricket on the basis that they both involve balls.  

Anyone know how I can begin making some sort of noise about this?  New Jersey offers a certification in theater.  New York does, Delaware does.  Not sure about Maryland.  

And-  if it's an issue of theatre being too specific-  I'll just say this.  There is a certification offered for Speech and Debate in Pennsylvania.  But not theater.  

Anyone want to talk about it?

------------------------------
    Jarad Benn
    Theater Teacher, Center for Performing and Fine Arts
    Pa Leadership Charter School
    Langhorne PA

• 2.  RE: PA Theater Education Certification?

Posted 01-24-2015 10:15
    Hello Jarad, I don't know if this will help, but take a look at the Arts heading at Washington State's Office of Education "OSPI". One of the first things our state did is make arts education for every student a law on "the books". They divided arts into four areas, visual, music, theatre and dance. We have standards, resources, assessments, and more. The person who was in charge of Arts Education at the state office has moved on but works as a consultant and is amazing. Dr. Rene Joseph is worth looking for on the web. She is a great resource. Warren ------------------------------ Warren Kerr Theatre Arts Teacher Auburn School District Auburn WA ------------------------------

• 3.  RE:PA Theater Education Certification?

Posted 01-24-2015 13:06
    California doesn't either. I think there are only a couple states that do. I think the last word from the state was that it is covered under English and that there is no fundamental difference between the two.

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE: PA Theater Education Certification?

Posted 01-25-2015 19:32
    Welcome to the fifty-year-journey of all Caifornia Theatre and Dance educators. Any college graduate with a degree and crendential in English can teach Theatre; any PE credentialed teacher can instruct dancers. One can get supplementary Theatre authorization with 32 units in Theatre. There is no regulation as to the types of courses which make up the 32 units. . In the 70's there were single subject Theatre and Dance credentials which through clearical error only Art and Music were left as Arts credentials. But that is another story. Those of us who work on this misjustice feel like characters in a theatre of the absurd production who have an agreed-upon objective, and encounter obstacles from the CA Teachers Association but keep on trying one tactic after another. Our allies include the CA Dept of Ed-V&PA consultants, CREATE CA-the State Superintendent of School's Blue Print on the Arts; CA Alliance of Arts Education; Drama Teachers of SO CA; CA Educational Theatre Association, LA Teachers Federation; the roll out of the new standards. CA Music Educators Association; CA Association of Arts Education, mong others. Our most vocal enthusiasts are the educated Theatre instructors, CYIT(CA YOUTH IN THEATRE DAY)-a day long Theatre students' day in the state Capitol. I founded the event 18 years ago so that Theatre students can use their talents to advocate. A long answer to say that it is a long jouney in CA. If anyone has a short-term course of action, please share. We who have been ------------------------------ Gai Jones Ojai CA ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: PA Theater Education Certification?

Posted 01-26-2015 10:08

Hi Jarard,

I feel your pain greatly.  I was born and raised in the Poconos, which is north east PA.  I loved my experience through school both in academics and the arts.  Like most theatre teachers, I was inspired by mine to go into the field myself.  While at school in Boston, for a theatre education degree and certificate, I found out about the lack of certification in PA.  When I researched going back to PA, I found that one must be certified in English to also teach Drama.  This may have changed since your research.  Massachusetts offers a certificate in theatre for k-12, which is what I received and now happily use while teaching drama full time in a middle school north of Boston.  PA offers wonderful arts across the state and I too am saddened by the lack of involvement at the Department of Ed level. 

Alma Mahon
    Drama Teacher
    Saugus Public Schools
    Danvers MA

• 6.  RE: PA Theater Education Certification?

Posted 01-26-2015 11:27
    Missouri combines Speech and Theatre into one certificate.  

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 7.  RE: PA Theater Education Certification?

Posted 01-26-2015 13:14

Jared,

It's the same in Ohio.  We have no education certification for Theatre in Ohio.  The school wants us to have one.  Impossible.

Tom

www.chagrinacademy.org

www.tomfulton.com

Tom Fulton
    Director
    Academy for the Performing Arts
    Chagrin Falls OH

• 8.  RE: PA Theater Education Certification?

Posted 01-27-2015 09:43

The VA DOE Requires this:

8VAC20-22-570. Theatre arts preK-12.

A. Endorsement requirements. The candidate must have:

1. Graduated from an approved teacher preparation program in theatre arts;
    or

2. Completed a major in theatre or 33 semester hours distributed among the
    following areas:

a. Directing: 6 semester hours;
    b. Technical theatre: 9 semester hours;
    c. Cultural context and theatre history: 3 semester hours;59
    d. Performance: 6 semester hours; and
    e. Dramatic literature: 9 semester hours.

B. Add-on endorsement requirements in theatre arts preK-12. The candidate must have:

1. A baccalaureate degree and an endorsement in a teaching area; and

2. Completed 15 semester hours distributed in the following areas:
    a. Directing: 3 semester hours;
    b. Technical theatre: 3 semester hours;
    c. Cultural context and theatre history: 3 semester hours; and
    d. Performance: 6 semester hours

In my experience most teachers have the add on endorsement outlined under "B". The other interesting component is that although the DOE says they can simply have a theatre major to teach- schools are not accredited in VA without 100% licensed teachers. So if they hire someone with the license but that does have the degree- they require them to become certified which means almost no one falls into this category because it's too much work.

The offerings for Theatre Education programs at VA colleges are dwindling at best and my own alma mater doesn't offer the degree anymore. It's very disheartening as a large percentage of the peer teachers I interact with have certification in something like English or History with the add on endorsement.

Though many teach theatre in their schools under a contingency that they will get the add on endorsement in 5 years or less and some of them never do this and simply leave the position. They are typically replaced with someone in the same situation- a contingency. This means there are schools (like the one I teach at) that has not had a certified theatre teacher in over 30 years. The last three teachers were not certified; to be fair the first one taught here for almost 20 years because the DOE requirements weren't as rigid and allowed them to get by with certification in history.

I know most Theatre Education programs in VA give you an automatic certification in English as well and you end up minoring in English. This is because many schools in VA simply won't hire you unless you're also certified in a core subject area. This always baffled me because I'm also certified to teach Art and no one is asking the Art or Music teachers to also be certified in a core subject. It all comes back to what we've spoken about several times on various posts: the legitimacy of theatre as a content area that can stand shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Art or Music (both are eligible for National Board Certification and offer AP Class options).

I'd love to see theatre valued in the same way. To be fair- in some pockets throughout the US (some pockets as large as states) they do have that kind of esteem and respect. But that is not the norm.

Keep your head up, and at the end of the day know that we're here for students. They know you make a difference- and that's the best blessing in the world.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Theatre Teacher
    New Kent County Public Schools
    New Kent VA

• 9.  RE: PA Theater Education Certification?

Posted 01-29-2015 14:00

Jarad,

As a teacher in the Pittsburgh area, this is obviously a concern to me.  And, to be honest, it's news to me.  I know that there is a PRAXIS offered in Theater.  I know because I was planning on taking it.  I already have English and Communications, but I wanted to get a third "feather" in my cap, so to speak.  So, you mean to tell me that even if I pass my Theater PRAXIS, I still can't get a separate Theater certification?  

Julie T. 

Julie Tipton

English and Theater

Thomas Jefferson High School

Jefferson Hills, PA