Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Average Perf Arts Grades

Posted 01-23-2015 12:48

Hello wonderful drama teachers,

Just a quick reply  if you have a chance.  

What is the average grade that you give (or have given) to your drama students?  

How many assessments do you give through-out the grading period?

Thanks so much- my department is in discussion about the high grading average of the performing arts verses the grades of  academic classes.

------------------------------

DanielDobrovich

Director of Theatre

Cranbrook Kingswood Schools

ddobrovich@cranbrook.edu

Blooomfield Hills, MI

• 2.  RE: Average Perf Arts Grades

Posted 01-23-2015 14:15

I'm not sure what the average will be - it's the end of the semester and I've got some who are frantically trying to get things in so that they will pass my class.

I rewrote my curriculum this year.  For acting, there were 5 performances (pantomime, open scene, monologue, duo or group scene from a play we read, and the final, which is a student directed one act, monologue, duo scene or group scene) and 2 or 3 papers (a character analysis for a play we read and a play review of a live performance for everyone; all but first year students were also required to write a reflection on a performance they did at a festival).

I use proficiency grading and only the summative assessments count toward the grade, so those are the things that go into the grade.  The five performances are all graded with the same standards but the weighting is less for early performances and more for the later ones.  The papers are about 30% of the grade and are graded on writing standards as well as analysis/response standards from the national arts standards.

It is definitely a rigorous class and requires that the kids do quite a bit of work, as it should.  It is not a "show up and you pass" kind of class.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Average Perf Arts Grades

Posted 01-24-2015 13:56
    Our school grades performing arts A, Pass, Fail. I give mostly Pass, with A and A- going to less than a quarter of students. Major performance assessments are about 3 times per semester, with smaller written assessments (i.e. quiz on theater history) every 3 weeks or so.

Richard Carter
    Lopez Island WA

• 4.  RE: Average Perf Arts Grades

Posted 01-25-2015 07:57
    I teach at an independent school that uses the traditional letter grade system (A,B,C,D and F).  Participation and effort is the most important element in determining grades in my theater classes and students usually get B's and A's.   I rarely give an A+, but did give a C+ for the first time this past fall to a student who simply had not put any work into memorizing or preparing their performances. They also failed one quiz, but did okay in other areas of the class (participation in theater games/warm-ups, contributing to discussions, journals, etc.).  If I was simply adding up points, I would have given them a B or B-,  but it is an acting class and the "work" of an actor simply wasn't being done, so I thought the C+ was warranted.  As for assessments, it depends on the class.  I usually give two or three quizzes each semester or assign a major non-performance project of some kind.  We have a "Writing Across the Curriculum" initiative that requires that students write in every class, so I have done performance reviews and have even assigned research papers in some classes.  At least once each semester, I also have  students do a non-performance project connected to a scene they are doing.  They create a costume or set design portfolio for the character or scene and hand in ground plans, sketches, and research materials, along with a brief essay explaining their design choices.  I find that having a few traditional assessments mixed in with the performance/progress assessments that are ongoing helps if I need to explain a grade to them or to their parents. 

Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    Springfield NJ

• 5.  RE: Average Perf Arts Grades

Posted 01-26-2015 20:17

This is such an interesting topic. I'm always interested in "seeing" how others grade. My school also uses a traditional letter grading system. The majority of my students are B-C students, with a smattering of D-F's and a handful of A's (at least in the higher level courses). In the intro class it is fairly easy to do well. 50% of the grade is participation and effort. They are graded on improv, monologues, 2 scenes, theatre history and terminology, and the basics of script writing. As they continue through the program the expectations raise. In the 2nd class they are graded on acting exercises (Hagen technique), classical scenework, contemporary scenework, they must learn least at least 6 new monologues, a theatre history project (with a performed scenes), and complete a fake audition. In the 3rd level I add in an intro to Stanislovski, Meisner, and Chekov technique, classical monologues, accent work, unarmed stage combat, and a performance in front of a public audience. The stagecraft class is graded on sewing, set design and building, scenic painting, make design and application, direction, PR, costuming, and teching a show. The Advanced class is graded on auditions and professionalism. This is the class that is taken to performances, competitions, masterclasses, and expected to perform several times a year with 4 scripts over the course of the year. If a student is not cast in a production or works as a techie (s)he is graded on their work backstage. I use the same rubric for grading performances as is used in competition. I haven't had any complaints yet... *knocking on wood*

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Average Perf Arts Grades

Posted 01-27-2015 08:27

I tried several things and I think I have a system that I like and that works for me.  My students earn their grades through Participation (I have a scale for that), Notebook checks (having all the materials I have given them in order and ready to use),  Rehearsals (extended class time) and Performances (50% of Final Exam.  The other 50% is a written exam as per school policy).  Various forms of this are used in all of my classes.  I also have Quiz and Test grades that have expectations appropriate to that category.  These can be performances or tasks or content as needed.  A performance test grade in acting usually involves being off book on a scene by a certain date.  A quiz over the same would be off book, but prompts allowed.  The kids understand expectations, the grading criteria and how they earn their grade.

This works well for my students and our school, but I am interested to see what others are doing in regard to this area.  Students are very grade oriented, and while I would prefer to emphasize the joy of the process, they value what they see in the gradebook.  I also teach Visual Arts and a similar system works there as well.

Hope this is helpful!

Gg

Georgann Lanich
    Teacher
    Tallulah Falls School
    Lakemont GA

• 7.  RE: Average Perf Arts Grades

Posted 01-28-2015 11:09

Great topic!

I've posed questions related to this before, but I'm still chewing on it.  To those who are citing participation and/or effort as a component of grades (full disclosure, 20% of my grades are a category called "participation"), are any of you in districts where standards-based grading is used, and if so, are you using a rubric or something to justify the inclusion of participation, which, some (not all) in SBG circles would argue should not be a part of a grade?  Our district is inching this way.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI

• 8.  RE: Average Perf Arts Grades

Posted 01-29-2015 10:46

I, too, had historically included participation in my grades.  However, a few years ago I was challenged to articulate what that meant and how exactly specific grades were earned in this category.  Really made me think.

Something to consider, rather than a blanket participation grade.  Tie those expections to rehearsal or production components.  What do you really expect them to do in order to be considered participating and what other words can you use that tie to Theatre?  

For example:  When assessing a short structured Improv performance, I use the following categories.... attentive to directions, focused in the creative process, engaged in performance, audience work, and reflection.  Each one of those areas has specific descriptive expectations and I can tie each one to Production elements.

Just some ideas....

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 9.  RE: Average Perf Arts Grades

Posted 01-29-2015 14:26

I just realized in my last reply that I didn't actually answer your question.  I try to give assessments every two weeks.  What they look like and how indepth they are depends on the class and the level.  I have a beginning Acting studio type class, Advanced Acting, and a Directing Class.  My Technical Director teaches Stagecraft.

Grade averages also depend on the course/level.  I would suggest that many think we give easy A's, in fact I have had some students tell me that's why they took the class.  Then they discover that it's a lot of work!  I would counter that assumption based on number of As with the fact that the structure of our type of class allows for initial instruction and then repeated practice until a student masters any given element.  A student may bomb a performance assessment early in the semester and then nail it later and get an A.  If they have mastered that element, in my book they get the A not the average.  

There are so many "what ifs" in this topic.  What if a kid is just lazy and doesn't do the work on the first assessment and then gets an A in the end.  Do they really deserve it?  Depends - are you grading the objective or the effort?  That's the question we must wrestle with.  While I want to hold students accountable, I want to be very careful not to shut down the creative process.  As long as you know what you expect and can articulate how the assessment is evaluating those expectations...

I went way beyond the short answer - but this is a weighty topic :-) 

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 10.  RE: Average Perf Arts Grades

Posted 01-29-2015 17:38

Dan (Hi, by the way.  Hope you are well.),

I'm interested in the inspiration for your question.  Is your department feeling pressure from without to give a greater number of lower grades to blend in with other departments?  Or is it more a self-imposed pressure among the arts teachers to seem not fluffy, not the home of the "easy A?"

A broader question: are rigor and high grades mutually exclusive?

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI