Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Advanced Acting Class

Posted 10-31-2013 10:08
    I am in the process of recommending that our district add an advanced acting class. I'm looking for suggestions of units that could be included in this course as well as resources that can be used, including a text or texts.

Our current intro to acting class is a VERY basic introduction that includes units that cover improvisation, pantomime, voice & diction, and basic acting techniques as well as theatre history every Monday (pretty sure I'm the only one who gets excited about this!). While some of my "theatre kids" take the course, it often becomes a dumping ground for students that need an elective.

I'm looking not only for text book recommendations, but also course outlines and materials that other schools are using for more in-depth acting classes.

Any suggestions and resources would be appreciated.

-------------------------------------------
    Katherine Howard
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Bettendorf High School, Troupe #542

• 2.  RE:Advanced Acting Class

Posted 11-01-2013 07:30
    HI Katherine,
    We do a lot of writing in our advanced theatre class, developing student-centered scripts on issues that matter to them.  We select a subject, such as bullying, teen pregnancy or substance abuse, and students research and write scenes and monologues that are then patched together into a performance piece.  We have been fortunate to enjoy the support of our administration as we tackle controversial subject matter.  It is always a struggle to organize lessons surrounding this framework, but the students are incredibly motivated to produce quality work, as writers, directors and actors.

Richard Osann
    Bonny Eagle HS, Troupe 211
    Theatre Teacher

• 3.  RE:Advanced Acting Class

Posted 11-02-2013 16:32
    Katherine,
    Honestly all the books that have been listed are GREAT! However, rather than purchase a classroom set of just one book. I might have the district invest in a bunch of books for YOU to use to put together your curriculum. It is great to have a variety of information from many different authors from which to draw. With an advanced acting class you may wish to have more complex books for you self on voice, movement, improvisation, scene work, directing, acting genres, history, and others.

I found that a variety of books on a bookshelf that students could check out was better than a classroom set that only had one author's point of view. I purchased 5-10 books and a library book cart to put them on that could roll away if I needed it to. Then I put library check out cards in each book for the student to sign out. Then if they were not returned I put them on the fines list at the end of year and either the book came back or the student paid for it as they would any other textbook.

I was wonderful to point out to students where they could get more information on a topic in several different sources. Different students need different options and I found this was much for exciting to them. In addition, they found out about a lot of different books they could use in the future.

Good Luck, Leslie Van Leishout

Leslie Van Leishout
    Theater Education Coordinator
    Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

• 4.  RE:Advanced Acting Class

Posted 11-03-2013 21:29
    One of the units in our advanced Theatre Arts class is called "Young Authors".  It involves collecting several stories written by second, third, and fourth-graders (usually about princesses, monsters, and super-heroes), adapting them into 5-minute plays, and performing them -- with the elementary student/author sitting up front in a "special chair" -- at the elementary school where they were written.  This unit covers so many standards, it's ridiculous! The little kids love it. The elementary school teachers and administration love it (one principal told me that my kids made her kids want to become better writers). The cooperative learning between schools in your district should be very attractive to your school and district administrations and your school board.  And your students will be treated like rock stars!  Good luck!

Gary Smiley
    English and Fine Arts teacher
    Oswego East High School
    Oswego, IL

• 5.  RE:Advanced Acting Class

Posted 11-04-2013 10:24
    Hi Katherine;

I have a Drama II class that meets together with my Advanced Acting class.  I have designed this class to be basically a scene study class.  Students are required in the course of the semester to perform at least one classical, one modern, one comedic and one dramatic piece.  They must do a minimum of two monologues and two scenes with different partners.  within this framework we talk about various schools of thought and techniques.  The final is to perform either an IE at our conference or before a team of adjudicators that come into the school.  This class has been very effective for me and my students.  

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School