Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Auditions and Casting Process - HS Theatre

Posted 10-31-2013 00:38
    What is your process for auditioning and casting your high school musical productions? What do you require students to prepare? How do you deal with disappointed students? ------------------------------------------- Charlene Thomas -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE:Auditions and Casting Process - HS Theatre

Posted 10-31-2013 14:05
    I usually start with music auditions for musicals. If they are not cut they attend both an acting and a dance audition. I usually do cold reads for the acting auditions and have them learn a short section of actual choreography from the show for the dance audition. After cutting in these auditions we go right into callbacks. They usually include 1 day of music and 1 day of acting. I reccomend having a dance ensemble that only attends the dance audition to fill out your choreography needs. These students never have to sing in the show (although they do have to learn the lyrics so they can fake it).

For kids who are disappointed, I always start auditions letting everyone know that many of them will not be cast in the show. It is possible they had a great audition but they didn't fit into the rest the cast as well. I am also always happy to provide notes after the entire audition process is over. Unforeturnately, disappointment is part of the experience. Hope this helps. :)

-------------------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District

-------------------------------------------