Open Forum

View Only

Sewing Table

• 1.  Sewing Table

Posted 01-21-2015 07:16
    We are in need of a large area to cut material for costumes. We want to build a table. What do you think is the ideal size? Also, I need it to be portable and able to fold up out of the way. Anyone have building plans? 

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Sewing Table

Posted 01-21-2015 15:23
    I don't have any plans but I would look at making it as multi-functional as possible. Maybe something that could double as a large dining table for shows as well. I'd make it 4x12. That should be big enough to handle the large fabric swatches and small enough (depending on your stage size) to use for shows that need a large table. Two options I can think of for storage (and I've used both) are to put the legs on hinges so you can fold them under or to simply make the table in pieces so that you can take it apart and store it easily. If you create it so that some bolts can hold it in place when you are using it, then all you have to do it take out the bolts and remove the legs to store. Hope this helps!

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Sewing Table

Posted 01-22-2015 08:22
    You can use a fold up plastic table as well. If you cut PVC pipe in 2 foot lengths that is just slightly larger than the legs, you can make a cutting height table quickly that can be easily stored. This is how quilters who travel make tables for cutting large volumes of fabric. You can then put together more lengths of table as needed for projects.

Susan Cortesi
    Director of Theatre
    District 87
    Bloomington IL

• 4.  RE: Sewing Table

Posted 01-22-2015 10:29
    For basic sewing, a plastic fold up table you buy at Walmart is perfect.  But if you want to make it multipurpose or stronger, I would just use a single sheet of plywood, cut it in half, and hinge it back together.  * feet is plenty of length for cutting.  For legs, put it on a pair of sawhorses.  

Annie Rice
    Spring Hill TN

• 5.  RE: Sewing Table

Posted 01-22-2015 14:56

This is a pretty nice design.  It also bears strong resemblance to Parallel Platforms, which are a neat "old" theater technology -- would be a good project for you  and your students.

http://www.woodworkcity.com/2013/03/18/awesome-folding-table-base-for-your-shop/

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 6.  RE: Sewing Table

Posted 01-23-2015 06:43
    John, This is sooo great!  Do you think it would be structurally sound if the bottom long  1x 10 braces were removed so that it could be used as a Parallel Platform and withstand actors weight?  I need actors to be able to walk under it as well. Storage issues backstage make standard platforms difficult so this could be my solution.

Valerie Scott
    Duluth GA

• 7.  RE: Sewing Table

Posted 01-24-2015 08:34

I really like the ping pong table idea.  I'm going to look around for some of those.  We have fold-able saw horses that we just slap a piece of plywood on to for a work surface, but the ping pong table would be great for sewing.

If folks are interested, Bill Raoul has a great book called Stock Scenery Construction: a handbook.  It has a lot of great designs and drawings to build all sorts of things.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 8.  RE: Sewing Table

Posted 01-22-2015 15:26
    I purchased 2 9x9 bookcases (you know the square kind that uses the boxes for storage) and a sheet of plywood. To make a cutting table at home.  I also put a sheet of sheetrock covered with muslin and craft paper over the top of the plywood so that I might also use it with pushpins.  In the event that I need an extra bedroom, I just lie the bookcases flat and put the plywood on top in preparation of a queen size air mattress.  So storage is quite easy <g class="gr_ gr_522 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar multiReplace" id="522" data-gr-id="522">with</g> this setup.

Lisa Tierney
    Director
    Coffee High School Theatre Arts
    Broxton GA

• 9.  RE: Sewing Table

Posted 01-23-2015 07:32

I found this online for anyone interested:

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2015/01/22/knock-down-shop-table/?utm_source=WoodsmithTips&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=9015

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 10.  RE: Sewing Table

Posted 01-23-2015 10:26

Hi, John

I'm not sure how much space you have to store or use the table, but you might consider using an old ping-pong table, minus the net of course. Many schools have a few collecting dust at the back of closets or the boiler room.  ;-) That provides a workspace big enough to be used by 2-4 people at the same time depending on the project. You can paint the table tops and mark off measurements as they do on fabric store cutting tables,or you could adhere sheet rock to the tops with aggressive double-sided tape and do the same. An alternative cover is 1/16" to 1/8" thick PVC sheeting. That doesn't dull the blades as quickly when cutting with X-Acto or roller knives, but it doesn't work so well with pushpins. When the sheet rock or PVC is too marked up to be useful, just change it out.

This isn't limited to use for costumes. It can be wheeled out and used as work surface for several students to use at the same time for or prop fabrication, painting, construction, etc. You could even change out different table tops for different uses.

I hope this helps!

Brian Benz
    Membership Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Covington KY

• 11.  RE: Sewing Table

Posted 01-25-2015 00:20

Attached are a couple of pictures from a Costume Shop in a college I visited.  One shows a rolling work table (which could be made in two halves for flexibility), and the other shows a sewing station table.

Other notes for Costume Shops:

Good Lighting:  This means 75-100 fc at the work surface to prevent eyestrain, and high color quality (CRI 90+, particularly in the Ra 9 red band) to facilitate color matching under lighting similar to stage lighting.  Color temperature (CCT) of the lights should be 2700-3000K (most school fluorescent lights are CRI 70, RA 9 about 3-5, and 4400K CCT), so this means a complete re-do of the lights.  Solid state lights (LEDs) can do this and save energy.  If your building is older it may have magnetic ballasts for the old fluorescent lights.  These flicker at 60 Hz and the stroboscopic flicker can cause the moving parts of saws and sewing machines to appear to stand-still, which can in-turn lead to someone sticking their hand into the moving machinery and being injured.  Very modern electronic lamp ballasts use a higher frequency operating rate so this doesn't happen.

Color Neutral Surfaces:  This means that the floors, walls, ceilings, and cabinetry should be a neutral white.  Take a photographer's 3200K white balance color reference card to the paint store and have them match that.  Greens, blues, reds, etc. on the surfaces will tint the reflected light and create a bias in your color selections.  Note that the 'Green' painted sewing workstation in the attached picture is not a recommended color finish.  The replaceable muslin top on the rolling work table should be bleached muslin so it is white, not the tan unbleached muslin.

Floors:  Tiled floors with cushioned floor mats at workstations where workers stand.  This is to allow easy clean-up.  Pins get embedded in floor carpet and can be hazardous for people kneeling or not wearing shoes (shops are not places to go bare-foot!). Buy a magnetic broom to go over the floor regularly and pick-up dropped pins, tacks, staples, nails, screws, etc.

Power Drops:  Note the ceiling power drops in the rolling workstation picture.  These can be retractable reel types, too.  The idea is to let your tools be powered from above so that you don't have cables running across the floor creating trip hazards.

Fire Retardants:  Maintain a stock of fire retardant treatments for your costumes. Different materials require different treatments. Make it a Standard Operating Procedure to treat garments (self-made or otherwise) and keep a record of the treatment for each garment by attaching some sort of a label to each one showing the date and treatment type.

First Aid Kit:  Include a first aid kit to treat puncture wounds (needle sticks, pin pricks), cuts (mat knives, scissors), burns (hot glue guns, heat guns), and eye wash (glitter); as well as having students wear eye protection (PPE safety glasses) when anyone is sewing or cutting in the area (pins and tacks can shoot a long way when hit by a piece of machinery).

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems