Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mary Poppins Props

Posted 01-20-2015 07:24

I am doing Mary Poppins this year and wondered if anyone had or knew of a place to rent some of the props needed for it, such as the magic handbag, etc.

------------------------------
    Patty Scott
    Drama Director
    Dublin OH

• 2.  RE: Mary Poppins Props

Posted 01-22-2015 08:27

I am in the same predicament. I have looked and looked. There are a few placed on line, but all are booked until next year. I am going to have to make everything. My show is in March and I have a local school doing it in May. They are going to use it right after us. I may be in the Poppins rental business soon! If you message me, I can share some tips I have found.

cortesis@district87.org

Susan Cortesi
    Director of Theatre
    District 87
    Bloomington IL

• 3.  RE: Mary Poppins Props

Posted 01-22-2015 13:24

We piloted MARY POPPINS last March and it was a real kick. Not sure what props exactly you are looking for but we ended up borrowing/renting a number of props from the Erie Playhouse in Erie, PA. Might be a long trip for you but they were reasonably priced and easy to work with. From Erie we used the bag and some of its contents, as well as the trick dollhouse, the trick bedroom table (if you want to use a table instead of a bed for the bag trick), and maybe a few other things. The memory is fading already.

We built the chimney brooms and still have them. We also built and still have the trick table for the kitchen. I wold be willing to sell both for a reasonable price. They are taking up valuable real estate.

We build and still have the trick hutch for the kitchen effect. You are welcome to come take a look at it to see if you can replicate it for your theatre. It is simply too big to get out of our theatre and will eventually have to be scrapped out. But for now it is complete and still functional. We might be posting a video online for how it works. My students created a "how-to" video with it.

If you wanted to share with me a specific prop list I can tell you what we still have or if we got it someplace else. I am happy to help.

Mark A Zimmerman
    Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Akron Public Schools

• 4.  RE: Mary Poppins Props

Posted 01-22-2015 13:31
    Probably the best prop I rented from Erie Playhouse is the magic painting Bert uses in the park. It get gasps from the audience last night. We also developed a super-low-tech way to make MP's bed "appear" in the bedroom. I am still shocked that the audience did not know how we did it when it seems so obvious and simple. People still ask me how we did it. <sigh> If only it was all that easy.

Mark A Zimmerman
    Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Akron Public Schools