Open Forum

View Only

Cinderella's transformation dress

• 1.  Cinderella's transformation dress

Posted 01-19-2015 22:25
    Hi friends, If you have ever done the R & H Cinderella, I'm interested in knowing how you achieved the transformation on stage. Do you have some tips on how to construct the peasant girl to ball gown transformation dress for Cinderella? Is there a sewing pattern that would work to create it? Is there an outfit like that for rent somewhere? Gratefully, Stella Griffin Huntington Beach CA ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Cinderella's transformation dress

Posted 01-20-2015 07:58
    We went the easy route and doubled Cinderella's poor clothes. She drifts stage right when the Godmother starts the magic, we used dancers to create some magic spectacle, the double replaced her tooking upstage at the arrival of the coach. Godmother takes her by the hand whirls her off and fully dressed beautiful Cinderella whirls back on stage. It's primitive but the kids in the audience bought it hook line and sinker. I'm sure you may do something much more sophisticated but in a pinch this could work. :) ------------------------------ Maggie Ward Columbia MD ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Cinderella's transformation dress

Posted 01-20-2015 08:43
    We produced CINDERELLA last year. I always rent costumes from The Costumer for large musicals. The costume was a bit awkward at first, but we spent a good amount of time with the Fairy Godmother and Cinderella to make the transformation work. Also, we added strobe and a fog machine to enhance the effect. ------------------------------ John Freeman Theatre Director / Fine Arts Director Mount de Sales Academy Macon GA ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Cinderella's transformation dress

Posted 01-20-2015 08:56

A parent volunteer sewed two identical peasant dresses that were not form fitting. The actress wears one most of the time, but when off stage in the scene before the transformation she quickly changed backstage into the ball gown and the second peasant dress. This second dress was not sewn together as much as a regular dress - but was held together with double stick tape in certain places. At the moment of the transformation, Cinderella put her hands on her shoulders to unhook that portion of the dress and one of the coachmen stood behind her with his hands on the back of the dress. With a quick smoke blast and a light change we distracted the audience long enough for the outer dress to be ripped off and quickly hidden by the coachman with the white ballgown being revealed in the process. Your actors and the technicians will have to practice to be able to all do their thing at the same moment. I believe we used a certain note in the music for it to begin.

My Cinderella was a taller, thin girl and we used a straight line ball gown that was not noticeable under the rip-away peasant dress. The reason for the two peasant dresses is so the quick change dress did not come apart at other times during the show. Hope that helps!

------------------------------
    Ann Hileman
    Indiana Chapter Director
    Peru IN

• 5.  RE: Cinderella's transformation dress

Posted 01-20-2015 09:50

We did it a few years ago.  I found a very full ballgown at Goodwill and slit it down the back.  I added velcro for the closure.  This is where it got a little tricky:  because of limited resources, our pumpkin patch where she transforms was a hollow wood box.  In it, we had a smaller cast member.  When Cinderella transformed, we had her spinning behind the box while the girl in the box grabbed onto the hem of the ballgown, tugged, and hid it in the box with her.  Combined with lighting effects and a 2 second blackout, it appeared as if Cinderella transformed instantaneously on stage.

It looked really great, was a really easy fix, and stumped our audiences every night!

Annie Rice
    Spring Hill TN

• 6.  RE: Cinderella's transformation dress

Posted 01-20-2015 11:00
    We made a transformation dress.  The main body was in the center of her peasant dress and flipped under when she spun.  It was a great look and made the transformation magical.    

Phillip Anderson
    Director of Theatre Ed
    Plainfield IN

• 7.  RE: Cinderella's transformation dress

Posted 01-20-2015 11:46
    My wife is also doing this show. I am also curious about idea. The pumpkin and mice as well. Dozens of you tube videos later she has some ideas, but how have others done it? ------------------------------ Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO ------------------------------

• 8.  RE: Cinderella's transformation dress

Posted 01-23-2015 13:30

There's an article about this in the latest Dramatics magaznie if that helps. Page 26 http://editiondigital.net/publication/?i=239406

DanielDobrovich
    Director of Theatre
    ddobrovich@cranbrook.edu
    Bloomfield HillsMI

• 9.  RE: Cinderella's transformation dress

Posted 01-23-2015 14:57
    We did Cinderella in April 2014. I was blessed to have a mom sew my transformation dress. I'm actually looking to rent or sell it. We had two identical ragged dresses - one she wore at the beginning and one she did a quick change into that had the ballgown underneath. I have pics if you'd like to see. We set up a quick change area with pipe & drape behind stage and had two people there to help - although they really had hurry, it worked like a charm. As far as the change, I used fog, strobe, & magic dust. It took several practices to time it just right so the audience couldn't see the outer dress disappear. Although I was back stage running the strobe, my spies in the audience said it was awesome and they couldn't see Cinderella help make the transformation. I have a friend who rented their transformation dress from a professional costume company & he wasn't impressed, the pictures didn't look impressive either. Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have more questions or want pics of the dress. Connie Sandoz Theatre Director Henderson NV ------------------------------

• 10.  RE: Cinderella's transformation dress

Posted 01-24-2015 17:24
    If your dress is still available please contact me. I'd be very interested in buying it for my April production. ltyson@henry.k12.ga.us ------------------------------ Laurie Tyson Theatre Director Henry County Board of Education McDonough GA ------------------------------

• 11.  RE: Cinderella's transformation dress

Posted 07-14-2017 16:52
    Do you still have the dress?  If so,  how much are you looking to sell it for?

Gina Barber
    TV Production/Theatre Teacher
    Engelwood FL

• 12.  RE: Cinderella's transformation dress

Posted 07-17-2017 01:05
      |   view attached
    GINA,
    I have retired but I'm sure the dress is still in the department. Here's the new director's information:
    Jeanne-Marie Grewe
    jmgrewe@lmca.org
    I'll give her a heads up that you'll be contacting her!

I've attached pictures and a description that I hope make sense. It was highly effective with smoke/fog, lighting effects, etc. Many "oohs" and "ahs" :)

Connie Sandoz
    Waxahachie, TX
    Retired Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV

Attachment(s)