Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Gorey Stories

Posted 01-19-2015 13:52

Has anyone produced the musical Gorey Stories by Steve Currens (Samuel French)? I'm looking for a small, piano only musical and it fits the bill.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Gorey Stories

Posted 01-20-2015 09:59

Hi John,

How fortuitous that you're in Louisville since this was presented by the University of Kentucky's Dept. of Theatre & Dance within the last 3 years.  I can't recall who directed that show, but a quick email to either the Dept. Chair Nancy C. Jones or Associate Professor Nelson Fields should led you down the right path. Contact info is on their website: http://finearts.uky.edu/theatre/faculty

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Craig Branch
    Educational Programs Manager
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: Gorey Stories

Posted 01-20-2015 14:25
    I was thinking about doing it because I love Edward Gorey, but found it difficult to get a music perusal from Samuel French--I contacted the musical division and they said it was under the play division and vice versa.  It sounded like hardly anyone has applied for rights for the show in a while.  This was about 6 yrs. ago btw.  We ended up adapting some of his stories as small scenes and even a twisted puppet show.

Kelly Melton
    Sumter SC

• 4.  RE: Gorey Stories

Posted 01-21-2015 15:15

I, too, looked at this play several years ago. (I don't know if I kept the perusal script or not.) I remembered it from seeing it in college, plus Edward Gorey was a local artists, very involved in community theatre here where I live. When I read the play, however, I found it a great deal of fun, but very adult in tone. The idea of doing scenes about dead children and Victorian sexuality seemed a bit too much for my school, but with cuttings, it might work for you. It depends on how conservative your audience is. Try looking for a script on Amazon; that's where I found mine.

Good luck!

Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth MA

• 5.  RE: Gorey Stories

Posted 01-27-2015 15:33
    I produced the west coast premiere of Gorey Stories in Los Angeles some years ago, and it was a tremendous hit. If I can be of any guidance, please let me know.

James Thomas Bailey
    Napa CA