Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cyclorama shopping & pricing

Posted 01-15-2015 11:08

Hi there,

I'm looking into the possibility of getting a Cyc installed on our HS stage behind the back traveler. Does anyone know where I could start pricing them?  I'm thinking of a white screen with a weighted bar at the bottom.  This would double as a projection screen for presentations and also be a lighted backdrop for concerts, etc..  Any thoughts on price range? If I could just order one at the right size and have maintenance install it I imagine it would be a lot cheaper than hiring a company to come in... We're probably looking in the neighborhood of 30-35' wide by 20' high.

------------------------------
    Michael Popplewell
    IL

• 2.  RE: Cyclorama shopping & pricing

Posted 01-16-2015 07:55
    We are in the process of replacing our damaged cyc and got good prices from iWeiss and Rosebrand. We are probably going to go with iWeiss because they did the original installation when the rigging was installed and also recently serviced that rigging, so we have a good relationship with them and they know our space.  But the prices were good from both.

Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    Springfield NJ

• 3.  RE: Cyclorama shopping & pricing

Posted 01-16-2015 07:58
    I really like working with Rose Brand.  They're great to work with and will help you decide what is best for your circumstance and application.  Ask for a sample of the material before you finalize your order-- that way you can see it in your space, under lights, etc.  I would guess about 800 dollars or so.  The folks at I Weiss are really nice, too.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: Cyclorama shopping & pricing

Posted 01-16-2015 08:12
    We use Rosebrand for all our making. ------------------------------ David Kramer Mt Sinai NY ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Cyclorama shopping & pricing

Posted 01-17-2015 08:04
    I would recommend www.sewwhatinc.com Shane Nelson is the sales manager and they are amazing to work with! I've worked with them for over ten years and every time I need a curtain or even large amounts of fabric they come out several hundreds less than rose brand or the other competitors. Great quality, great service, great price. I've turned most of idaho into SewwhatInc lovers! ------------------------------ Sterling Blackwell Theatre Arts Educator Idaho Chapter Director Weiser ID ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Cyclorama shopping & pricing

Posted 01-20-2015 11:18

Forgot to ask if being in Illinois would matter as far as getting a representative out to see the space, etc...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Michael Popplewell
    IL

• 7.  RE: Cyclorama shopping & pricing

Posted 01-21-2015 11:18
    "This would double as a projection screen for presentations " - be aware that a white muslin backdrop will not reflect light from a projector like a projection screen does, so the image will be less bright and less engaging to the viewer.  Also, since cyc drops are generally huge, there is a tendency to 'go big' with the size of the projected image.  This can work if you have a sufficiently bright projector (high lumen output - goal is 25-35 lumens per square foot on a projection screen, higher for a cyc like material), but most 'classroom' type projectors may be too weak to do a presentation justice.  Because the cyc screen is far upstage, this tends to disconnect the audience from the presentation.  A dedicated purpose projection screen that is closer to the main drape is recommended.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems