Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Senior showcase

Posted 01-14-2015 18:49
    Do any of you have a senior showcase at the end of the year? Would you share how you run it? We would like to start the tradition, but are not sure where to start. I would love to hear what works for you. ------------------------------ Nancee Beilgard Lawrence KS ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Senior showcase

Posted 01-15-2015 12:09
    We have a senior gallery event at the end of the year. Each senior performs a piece in their strand...we have music, dance and vocal in our program. It runs act by act with an announcer on a microphone introducing the acts. At the end of the show, all of the seniors sing a "group song" to end the show. Each teacher writes a small note to the kids and they are attached to a rose that are given to them after the performance. It is a nice event to finish up their four years in our program and the parents are able to see what they have learned and how they have grown from the arts. I would recommend doing it! Valuable and fun!

------------------------------
    Angela Hillman
    Director of CAPA
    Livonia Public Schools
    Plymouth MI

• 3.  RE: Senior showcase

Posted 01-17-2015 23:14
    We had a senior showcase called "The Grand Finale" featuring ALL the performing arts.  After a group performance (i.e. choir or dance) the MC asked all seniors to come foreword to take their final bow.  The program had an S denoting the seniors in each group.  Senior actors performed scenes together, some of which were from previous shows. I like Angela Hillman's idea of presenting the seniors with a rose and a note. . .wish we'd thought of that!

Marilynn Zeljeznjak
    Blacksburg VA

• 4.  RE: Senior showcase

Posted 01-15-2015 17:43

We have run one for three years now after getting the idea from a neighboring district.  I  would highly suggest jumping in which is how we started.  Our senior ITS members have the choice of directing a one act or production number.  Usually the "one acts" are really 10-15 minute shows that are actually published or, most often, ones that they have written.  (Those are the cool ones that give the students a chance to take their script from idea to performance.)  The cast comes from the remaining members of ITS.  The seniors hold auditions one day after school.  All directors attend the general call. They may require whatever they feel necessary to see the pool in the most advantageous light. After it, they immediately meet and select/negotiate their cast members.  I try to stress that the performances should try to include most, if not all, of the candidates who have auditioned.  Students run costumes, sound, lights, sets (minimal), stage manage - the whole works.  

Since these are short plays/numbers, we spend a week in rehearsal then it's showtime!.  We charge $3.00 or donation to attend and use it as a Drama Club/ITS fundraiser - paying royalties, of course, for published material.  At the show, we sell our Kisses for the Cast and Crew (3 Hershey kisses in tulle onto which patrons can write notes to the cast/crew.  $1.00)  We don't make scads of money, but it's a great send off for our seniors and a chance for them to explore the creation of a performance from inception to production. My role is limited to the "adult" at rehearsals.  I only provide guidance when asked or when things get too unsafe.  It's truly their show and has been very successful for them so far. It's an event that they greatly anticipate. And it's one that doesn't cause me much stress since they do it all.  

Hope that helps! 

Dorothea Hackett
    DuBois PA

• 5.  RE: Senior showcase

Posted 01-16-2015 11:27
    We do not have a senior night for performance. Instead, on inductions/honors/awards night we give the seniors their graduation honors and call them to the stage for a final time in front of their friends and family. We also have an award for seniors who have been in the program for all 4 years called the Veteran Award. I choose this without any input from the students (the pres and vp choose all of the other awards barring one) and we have what is called the Grandma Schwartz Award. This is an original teddy bear that is dressed to reflect the show that was personally the most meaningful.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Senior showcase

Posted 01-16-2015 12:47
    We have a Senior Showcase every Spring & all seniors must participate. All the performing arts & art teachers act as mentors. Seniors must pick a 2 minute song, monologue, scene, or may create a 2 minute work of music, choreography, film or portfolio of visual art and performs/shares the work at an evening performance. The work must be polished, professional and appropriate. Each Senior gets 2 free tickets; we sell tickets to the public for $5 each. ------------------------------ Juliette Beck Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director Albuquerque NM ------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Senior showcase

Posted 01-16-2015 15:09
    Great  idea, and some extra money to boot!  Thanks!

Nancee Beilgard
    Lawrence KS

• 8.  RE: Senior showcase

Posted 01-17-2015 20:58

I proposed and am allowed to teach a class called "Senior Practicum."  It runs in the spring semester, and only seniors may take the class.  The purpose of the class is to allow the seniors the opportunity to create a show that is theirs.  They pick the show. They direct and perform in it. They design and build and tech it. They publicize it.  For them, it is their chance to do the show on their own. For me, it is an opportunity to show them the other aspects that they may not have experienced before.  The business side--they have to deal with copyright and how to select a show.  They have to budget (breaking even financially is a small part of their final grade).  They have to determine how to govern themselves as a company.  Actors will tech and techies will act and someone will direct.  If it is a musical, they have to obtain figure out accompanists and musicians.

This is the fifth year, and my class has just selected Arsenic and Old Lace as their Practicum show.  There are hits and misses, successes and failures.  They learn a lot about themselves, their classmates, and this thing they love called theatre.  Every class thus far has successfully produced a show.  There have been two musicals and two plays.

I function as their adviser and producer (the money guy--with the authority to enter into production agreements).  I try to stay in the background.  I keep them safe, and try to remind them about the realities of what they are doing--appropriateness of proposed shows, what their timeline really looks like, etc.

It is a little bit of amazing every year.  They blow me away. Every year.  They never fail to make me very proud.

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Monument CO

• 9.  RE: Senior showcase

Posted 01-18-2015 15:31

Hi Ms. Beilgard!

My school does a senior showcase every year! Towards the end of the year, we advertise it as the Last Cabaret. Each senior can either prepare new pieces that they might wish to share in the showcase, what they sang for their college auditions, or repeform some of their favorite numbers from IE's or other shows we have done. All of the seniors learn two group numbers that we choreograph and perform as the opening and closing numbers, as well as ask each senior to perform one individual piece. We throw group scenes or duet pieces in there throughout the solos. At the end of the ceremony, each senior comes forward and announces what their plans for the future are!

This has personally been one of my favorite traditions, it's important to honor your parting family members. I'm happy this is a tradition you're looking into! Hope this helps(:

Rachel Gatewood
    ITO Region III Rep