Open Forum

View Only

Should Tech Students Focus Lights in Catwalk?

• 1.  Should Tech Students Focus Lights in Catwalk?

Posted 01-13-2015 20:37
    We have a highly capable senior tech theatre student who plans to study lighting design next year in college. He wants experience focusing lights in the catwalk. Our state of the art performing arts center is six years old. The policy from administrators at the time of construction was that no students would be allowed in the catwalk. My competent tech director and I believe we are missing out on significant educational opportunities for our advanced tech students with this policy.  Do you allow students to work in your catwalk, and under what conditions? Thank you!

------------------------------
    Jo Beth Gonzalez
    Teacher/Drama Director
    Bowling Green City Schools
    Bowling Green OH

• 2.  RE: Open Forum : Should Tech Students Focus Lights in Catwalk?

Posted 01-13-2015 22:25

Yes, if they are

1. Trained by myself, our technical director, or our auditorium manager
    2. Have permission to be there (have a purpose)
    3. Supervised (ie, one of the aforementioned adults is in the auditorium with them)

When they are running spots for a show, they are harnessed and tethered.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Open Forum : Open Forum : Should Tech Students Focus Lights in Catwalk?

Posted 01-14-2015 06:29
    Absolutely.  My philosophy is that we are involved in educational theatre and we cannot educate students in technical theatre if they aren't in a hands-on situation (unless we want them to just do book work).  My students do everything from directing to lights to construction to costumes.

Kristie Bach
    Traverse City MI

• 4.  RE: Open Forum : Open Forum : Should Tech Students Focus Lights in Catwalk?

Posted 01-14-2015 07:43
    I agree with all those points. Get your student in the catwalk. If administrator is still concerned, get signed permission from parent.  I also had a tech student who is in fact now studying lighting design in college, experience was invaluable to her. That and Lightwright experience gave her a portfolio and a huge leg up on other prospective students.   

Jenny Brotherton
    Drama Coach-Teacher
    Scranton PA

• 5.  RE: Open Forum : Should Tech Students Focus Lights in Catwalk?

Posted 01-14-2015 07:05

Hi,

Unless there is a genuine safety concern, this student and others should be allowed to work in the FOH (catwalk). Focusing light is part and parcel of our work and to forbid it is indeed a missed educational opportunity.

With the criteria you expressed you appear to be well prepared to see to the student's safety.

I can tell you that my students routinely do this after receiving instruction on our fall arrest system.

Best Wishes,

Dana 

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 6.  RE: Open Forum : Open Forum : Should Tech Students Focus Lights in Catwalk?

Posted 01-14-2015 07:53

Depending on the design of the catwalk system it should be no more dangerous than standing at the top/back of any large two story bleachers. I can think of many more dangerous things we do in a theater during load-in and strike. Also at least for our system, our loading deck for our fly system is much more open with a longer drop than our catwalk.

To answer your question I let advanced students into our cat walks when they have a specific job and when they have been trained by myself or other theatre teachers. They are only allowed to work in the theater with adult supervision.

Personally I would rather have them in the catwalks than on an A-frame ladder doing final focus on the electrics.

Greg Alldredge
    Tech Theater Teacher
    Cypress Fairbanks ISD
    Cypress TX

• 7.  RE: Open Forum : Should Tech Students Focus Lights in Catwalk?

Posted 01-15-2015 18:00
    My Tech students are allowed on the catwalk, but the school requires a signed permission form that the parent must sign. Will the form relinquish the school from being sued if, God forbid, something happened? Not sure, but it was designed by our CFO who is very uptight about crossing every "t". I watch them very carefully when working on the catwalk, but a theatre teacher cannot be everywhere. Not sure this helps. ------------------------------ John Freeman Theatre Director / Fine Arts Director Macon GA ------------------------------

• 8.  RE: Open Forum : Should Tech Students Focus Lights in Catwalk?

Posted 01-14-2015 08:23

When I was in high school, I was actually hired to work as a technician, and I often worked alone in the catwalks and flys.  Now, that was probably not a good thing, and it was 30 years ago.  It was a great experience for me.  I received college level training in high school and have taken those experiences with me for these many years.

In our current times, I think students should be allowed to work in the various jobs and places related to high school theater.  What great opportunities for real world training and experience.  I do think, however, that they should be trained and supervised.  I would probably not let them work alone.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 9.  RE: Open Forum : Should Tech Students Focus Lights in Catwalk?

Posted 01-14-2015 08:37
    Our senior lighting students are able to learn how to operate our Genie Lift to hang and focus lights by signing a waiver form. All of our tech crew students have to get a waiver signed, but there is a super-special waiver for those who are over 18 to drive and operate the lift. I am happy to get you a copy of that waiver. We are a private school, so rules might be different, but the waiver is a legal document and would at least provide you with something to present. LH ------------------------------ Lisa Houston Pennington NJ ------------------------------

• 10.  RE: Open Forum : Should Tech Students Focus Lights in Catwalk?

Posted 01-14-2015 09:13
    OSHA Laws vary from state to state and whether the venue is an independent or public school institution. I "certify" my crew members to focus on our catwalks. I am lucky. Ours are completely safe. My tech crew members know that the consequences for horseplay and violation of anything safe, is severe and could dismiss them from the team. I have greater worries with computerized scenic hoists and I never certify more than two students per year. I bring professional training in for that equipment. 

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN

• 11.  RE: Should Tech Students Focus Lights in Catwalk?

Posted 01-15-2015 17:39

Let there be no mistake in understanding the having a NEW theatre has little or nothing to do with how safe it is.  I visit many theatres  each year, both new and old, and find them almost equally dangerous in many aspects.  Unfortunately, many theatres are designed and built by people with no understanding of theatre, theatre operations, or personnel safety.

Just because a building has a Certificate of Occupancy does not mean that anything has actually been correctly designed, built, or inspected.  There are too many holes in the construction process that allow willfully negligent conditions to exist after the Architects and Contractors have been paid.  Some states have exclusionary (sovereign immunity) laws on the books that protect the schools from being sued if a student or teacher is injured, so they have little to no incentive to make things safe other than intimidation through public outcry.  Only the visible things like armed guards (when they mistakenly think 'security' is the same thing a 'safety'), and school bus brakes get fixed (school bus accidents always make the news), everything else is ignored until after the football budget has been thoroughly depleted.

Need 10 $5 hard-hats?  NO.  Need 50 $500 football helmets?  YES.

Need a sprung floor for actors and dancers on the stage?  No - you get concrete.

Need 100 acres of Grade A turf and drainage for athletic fields.  OK - here's a check.

Fall hazards are the most common thing I see, particularly missing safety gates at the tops of ladders.  Keeping access doors to ladders and catwalks locked is a continuous challenge, as there is a tendency to unlock them and forget it.  Nothing like finding a student laying at the bottom of a ladder in a crumpled heap.

As mentioned by others - it is imperative that you personally supervise the students in elevated work spaces.  This takes time, so it can eat into your man-power budget for a show quite rapidly.

I fully agree that theatre training should include taking students (in small groups of 3-5) to the gridiron deck, fly galleries, and catwalks.  They need to have the hazards clearly pointed-out to each and every one of them so they grasp the seriousness of the working condition.  Issuing hard hats, gloves, and safety glasses as a standard operating procedure before entering the workspace is just as important as emptying pockets of loose items (no, they really don't need their cell phone up there - and it can severely damage anyone it strikes when they drop it - not to mention what it does to a $600 iPhone.) and securing work tools (wrenches for lights, etc.) on lanyards.  Just as important as teaching the students how to work safely at height is teaching them how to NOT be underneath some else working at height.  All too often I see entire classes wandering about cluelessly below crews working on catwalks, gridirons, and/or moving the stage rigging . . .

There are some students that are naturally adventuresome and may try to climb out over ceilings and go other places besides the catwalks, and they must be informed that falling through the ceiling will get them expelled (so they can attend their funeral).

Yes, theatre spaces can be a dangerous place.  So be prepared to establish a system of training, permission slips, and reqests for improvements in order to be allowed to teach the students these basic skills.  Just don't be surprised when an administrator needs to be educated about how a theatre works when you need to change the lights.  It's not your job to teach the janitor to do it - if it is too dangerous for the students to access, then it is also too dangerous for the you or the janitor to access.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 12.  RE: Should Tech Students Focus Lights in Catwalk?

Posted 01-16-2015 09:14

Morning,

I am the department chair and technical director here at the school. The very first day of class each year I take my students on a tour of the theater. I have two catwalks that I have them walk across (they are about 40' off the ground) and unless they have a serious fear of heights-they must all walk across (after I show them how to do so safely) ALL my students who are on my light crews work on the cats constantly as well as the FOH side tree positions in the house.  

Please tell your administrators that the only way anyone learns how to do something is by DOING IT.  I have student light designers that research, design, hang, focus and program each of our productions. My carpenters in the shop cut on all the saws. My costume students sew every costume we create. Prop kids design and build the props. My sound students design and implement all aspects of every show whether it is sound effects or running the LS9 digital mixer for the musicals each year.  You CANNOT learn how to do lights until you get up in the air and burn your fingers on a hot barrel of a ER.  Those students are at such a disadvantage if they are not hanging and focusing those instruments. They will never learn what it takes to properly hang a show by not hanging lights on the cat.

Use this as an example with your administrators:  Do the coaches of various sports NOT PERMIT their team members to practice their respective sports?  Do the Band directors not permit their students to play their instruments in class? Hanging lights on a cat is a teaching tool that can only be taught when the kids are in the air and hanging lights. I had an education professor one time tell me something that  has stuck with me in my 20+ years of education.  He said "You can read how to play the piano- you can study every chord and every chromatic scale. You can research Bach, Beethoven, or Brubeck but until your fingers tickle those ivories-you have learned nothing." 

Learning in anything is having the opportunity to DO IT.

Tim Jackubek
    The Woodlands TX