Open Forum

View Only

Band Uniforms for The Music Man

• 1.  Band Uniforms for The Music Man

Posted 01-11-2015 22:31

Hi. I'm excited to produce my second musical, and this year we're doing The Music Man.

I have help, I have an excited group, but I'm most stumped about getting band uniforms for all the little kids in the show.

What have some of you done for this aspect? I have no old uniforms - they were tossed out when the new school was built. I'm hoping for 15 - 20 elementary and high school students to be in the River City band. 

Thanks so much.

Best,

Jared

------------------------------
    Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron, IN

• 2.  RE: Band Uniforms for The Music Man

Posted 01-12-2015 06:35
    I wish I had seen this 6 months ago!  I had a ton of small uniforms donated by our local Catholic school when they got new uniforms - and I just got rid of them.  I would suggest that you try to make inquiries around your state to see if there are any schools that have a 7-12 marching band program that have just gotten (or will be getting) new uniforms. The 7th & 8th grade uniforms can be pretty small.

Kristie Bach
    Traverse City MI

• 3.  RE: Band Uniforms for The Music Man

Posted 01-12-2015 07:31
    I have purple and white uniforms I bought off of EBAY when I did the show.  However, the mailing cost would be very high.  Sometimes the local thrift stores in big cities will have them. If you want to pay the mailing costs I will be happy to ship them to you.  I have 14 of them.  I wish you luck. 

Pauline Lakanen
    Drama Teacher
    Miami Dade Public Schools
    Miami FL

• 4.  RE: Band Uniforms for The Music Man

Posted 01-12-2015 08:56

Hi Jared,

Here's what I did--

I found black or dark navy trousers that fit the boys at a thrift store.  Then, hot glue or sew or fuse (stitch witchery?) red ribbon down the outside of the leg.  White dress shirt with a narrow, red ribbon tied as a bow at the neck.  I then thrifted men's or boy's suit jackets (I figured that as long as they were sort of the size needed it was okay--Harold Hill probably didn't really care if he ordered the exact right size.) I added red ribbon around the sleeve in the same manner that I did on the trousers.  You could also add ribbon on the lapels if you wanted, or add a tissue paper flower on the lapel.  We were fortunate in that we did have marching band hats, but I think there might be a cheap substitute through Theatre House or Oriental Trading Company.  

Hope that helps.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 5.  RE: Band Uniforms for The Music Man

Posted 01-12-2015 09:18
    I am doing Music Man as well!!  We don't have a band and the one prospect we had for uniforms fell through.  I have a very inventive costumer who plans on using chef coats that we found relatively cheap on-line that you can order in bulk.  We're just going use gold paint, trim and epaulets.  Hope that helps!

Amy Crane
    Michigan City IN

• 6.  RE: Open Forum : Band Uniforms for The Music Man

Posted 01-13-2015 07:34
    Most marching bands are off season one. What might a local high school have. I have found in two of the schools I've worked I'm, the marching band no longer existed and the uniforms were retired. See if you can fond something local like that, if not, email me and we'll see about getting some maroon and white ones to you. Shipping will be high I'm afraid. ------------------------------ Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO ------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Band Uniforms for The Music Man

Posted 01-12-2015 09:39
    We just performed The Music Man last year as our spring musical. We used middle school band students from our feeders and they wore the band uniforms from one particular middle school, since they happened to be red and white and looked great on stage!

Tracey Filben
    Monarch Company Director
    Glen Dale WV

• 8.  RE: Band Uniforms for The Music Man

Posted 01-12-2015 12:19
    We found many used band uniform companies on line with very good prices. The Internet has made our life so much easier for specialty costumes and props. Needed for Peer Gynt very tall old woodrung ladders, found "the old woodrung ladder store" on line. ------------------------------ Phillip Rayher Director, Theatre Dept. Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts San Francisco CA ------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Open Forum : Band Uniforms for The Music Man

Posted 01-12-2015 17:12

I live in a small town and work on a small budget.  For MUSIC MAN band uniforms, I shopped all of our local thrift stores and purchased pants, LS tops or jackets that looked similar in style and attached matching gold ribbons and appliques.

Kathy Siler
    Theatre Educator
    Payson Unified Schools
    Payson AZ

• 10.  RE: Open Forum : Band Uniforms for The Music Man

Posted 01-13-2015 09:24

Putthem in black pants and borrow our old uniforms from Jay County!!!  I have at least 50 red and the band just bought new ones, so they would have about 150 others, but the old ones are SMALLER since they are from the 70s.  If you are nearer to Concord, they have a slew of green ones we borrowed for The Wiz.

Jay County High School is on I-67 between Richmond and Fort Wayne.  We have gorgeous uniforms and a whole bunch of the big white and red hats.

Don't think Boone Township is anywhere near Concord!  Looks like you need to work with me!  Meet in the middle?

Carol Knarr Gebert
    Celina OH

• 11.  RE: Open Forum : Band Uniforms for The Music Man

Posted 01-17-2015 22:27

I cannot thank you all enough! You're lifesavers in so many ways! I have people willing to help with costumes this year, so I'll have lots of hands.

Carol, I went  grad school in Muncie! I was just over that way on New Year's Day. If only I had posted earlier. I very well may take you up on the offer to borrow some of those. I'll know more when I have my elementary school auditions on January 26.

Thank you so much, community! Love all your help!

Yours in the arts,

Jared

Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron IN