Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Zombie Prom questions

Posted 01-08-2015 17:48

Hello,

I am curious to hear feedback from anyone who produced Zombie Prom (regular version)

or Zombie Prom (Atomic Version)--we will be producing this musical in the spring, but I am

curious about the appropriateness of the regular version for our school (grades 6-12) and our

audience (fairly conservative.) We need to keep it family friendly. Did anyone have any issues with

the regular version? Our only concern about the Atomic Version is that it doesn't have Samphony,

it's a piano only score.

Thanks in advance,

------------------------------
    Juliette Beck
    Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director
    Albuquerque NM

• 2.  RE:Zombie Prom questions

Posted 01-08-2015 20:53
    Love this show! I did it with 9-12 five years ago and still removed the racier verses of "Expose." I got a few gasps at one of the lines in which one of the girls suggests her date might find out how her strapless dress stays up if he plays his cards right. Other than that, it was fun, upbeat and fairly clean. Lots of great curriculum tie in to civil rights. I don't know, unless it's a children's show, I feel like just about every musical has something that people can take exception to.

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: Zombie Prom questions

Posted 01-09-2015 08:46

We produced "Zombie Prom" last spring, and it was a huge hit with the community.  Sadly, we had a student suicide just as we were starting rehearsals.  We looked at switching to the "Atomic Version" but decided to stick with the true script and leave his death as an accident (versus the implied suicide).  Overall, we did not take the show seriously, but went the route of emphasizing the spoof of musicals like "Grease."  Keeping an emphasis on the humor and mocking central, when we blocked "Expose" we did it in a very silly manner (versus making it sexual).  We made Eddie Flagrante's character very Pepe LePew-ish, even giving him a pencil mustache.  Using the backstory that they had a peculiar relationship when they were dating, they were falling back into the silly manner of it during "Expose."

Because the overall tone of the musical was embracing the silliness of the entire situation, that's what the audience went home with.  I found that the tone allowed some more risqué comments to be taken with humor.

Jessica Harms
    Tewksbury Memorial High School
    Tewksbury MA