Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  wallpaper on flat

Posted 01-08-2015 13:13
    Please advise: have you applied wall paper onto a conventional muslin/wood flats?  What did you experience?

------------------------------
    Kathy Siler
    Theatre Educator
    Payson Unified Schools
    Payson AZ

• 2.  RE: wallpaper on flat

Posted 01-08-2015 15:47
    Hmmmm,
    I try to avoid using wallpaper as much as possible! I do realize it saves
    time and all that....
    If I use wallpaper, I usually try to press it out flat for a day, then I
    staple it on to the flat.
    A couple of staples at the top and then pulled tight, staple it about
    halfway down to keep
    it as flat as possible and then again on the bottom. Since a conventional
    theater flat is
    often off true or painted poorly, I have never been able to get the glue to
    adhere to a
    flat, so I staple. Then use molding to hide the staples when ever possible
    or at the very
    least a sharpie in the same color as the paper.
    I hope this helps.

Micheal Moll
    Blackfoot High Drama Director

No matter where you go, there you are!

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Kathy Siler via Educational Theatre

• 3.  RE: wallpaper on flat

Posted 01-09-2015 12:45
    Micheal Moll wrote "Since a conventional theater flat is often off true or painted poorly, I have never been able to get the [wall paper] glue to adhere to a flat . . ."

Try 3M Scotch 77 aerosol glue.  Lightly spray the flat, lightly spray the back of the wall paper, let them set for a few seconds, then lay them together.  Maybe place something flat and heavy (phone book?) on the corners until it dries to keep the edges from curling.  For less permanent solution, just spray one surface, not two.
    Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 4.  RE: wallpaper on flat

Posted 01-09-2015 07:36

Have you ever tried stenciling?  It's not that hard.  We find a design in clip art, usually, and cut it out of poster board or a manila folder with an ex acto knike.  Then, the rest of the process is just like the paint person at Home Depot or Sherwin Williams describes.  It's pretty easy and you'll end up with a nice finished flat.

Hope that helps.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE: wallpaper on flat

Posted 01-10-2015 13:20
    We put some wallpaper on luaan flats inside Aunt Em's house when we did "WoO" a few years back. It worked pretty well for our 1 week run. When we struck the set I noticed it was starting to pull away from the luaan a bit, and came off very easily. I'm not so sure I would put it on without using extra wallpaper glue again. ------------------------------ Hillary Bogers Fayetteville NC ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: wallpaper on flat

Posted 01-09-2015 08:42

I have never been successful applying wallpaper on a flat. (only tried it once I guess)  I started using these a few years back and to great success!http://www.rollerwall.com/  They are pretty easy to use and I have used them over and over for different shows and in different configurations.

Have fun!

Jeremy Ferman
    Theatre Director
    Mansfield, TX

• 7.  RE: wallpaper on flat

Posted 01-09-2015 10:18

Depending on the designer and there preference (wallpaper is pretty common for some) I have wallpapered several sets successfully - but I had an outstanding shop and crew - and we used "hollywood" flats (hard wall) that were made for a touring show.  

You have to pre treat the wood with a good quality semi gloss paint so the luan / plywood does not suffer grain raise or delimitation from the moisture - then apply the wallpaper as you would in a house.

Stencils and "wallpapering machines" such as "Rollerwall" are pretty slick but you have to use a guide to make it accurate and true.

See:

http://www.rollerwall.com/patterns.html

If you are set on using wallpaper - try to avoid stapling it... I had a whole wall separate and come down in a show when i tried this!

Hope this helps...

Robert Holter
    Helena MT

• 8.  RE: wallpaper on flat

Posted 01-09-2015 10:47
    I too have never used wallpaper when building. Something I did that is similar, and worked well, was I used fabric and stapled it to the back of the flat. It created a similar look, was easy to apply and remove, and wasn't actually that expensive. I went to a discount fabric store and got material at under $2 a yard. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: wallpaper on flat

Posted 01-10-2015 08:15
    I have. It's fine as long as you don't plan on reusing the flats without the wallpaper. It does not come off easily. As I recal (it was ,any years ago for a professional production of Rumors) it didn't stick well at first either and we had to add adhesives and even staple at the corners. ------------------------------ Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO ------------------------------

• 10.  RE: Open Forum : wallpaper on flat

Posted 01-12-2015 19:47
    I have always made a flat out of a sheet of insulation foam and adhered the wallpaper with double sided sticky tape. That's only because I wanted to save the wallpaper for when I might want to use it again and wanted to save the foam so it could be re-used. If I didn't care I'd use the spray adhesive method mentioned earlier (spray onto both the flat and the back of the wallpaper and wait for it to get tacky). You can still remove it using this method by using a hair dryer to make the glue tacky again but it leaves the flat and the back of the paper sticky forever.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Theatre Teacher
    New Kent County Public Schools
    New Kent VA