Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  block scheduling

Posted 01-08-2015 11:08

Our system is moving to the traditional block schedule for the 2015-16 school year - instead of students taking 8 classes over the span of 2 semesters, they will take 4 courses first semester and 4 courses second semester.

I would love any insight (good or bad) on how that affects drama programs, and suggestions on the best way to schedule my classes.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Susan Thompson
    Austin High School Drama Teacher
    Decatur AL

• 2.  RE: block scheduling

Posted 01-08-2015 14:35
    How many hours per day will you be given per class? 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: block scheduling

Posted 01-08-2015 20:22
    When I was in High School, we moved to block scheduling. So I can tell you what it was from a student's perspective. I actually really liked it because it made the day seem not so long. Our classes were 90 minutes. The use of the time varied based on the effectiveness of the teacher. Our production class became two classes. It was called Acting in the first semester, and Comprehensive Theatre in the second. I don't know how much space your students have for electives, so I'm not sure how this model would work at your school. As a result, I graduated with 6 credits in Theare. If students cannot afford to take two credits per year in Theatre, some classes operated on an A/B schedule and ran for an entire year. AP classes generally operated on this schedule. Overall, I feel I benefited from block scheduling. I was able to take more Theatre and still fulfilled my core requirements.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Bronx NY

• 4.  RE:block scheduling

Posted 01-08-2015 20:42
    I taught on block schedule for 6 years. We still had year long courses, but they met every other day instead of every day. The good part was that for my advanced classes, longer rehearsals were great. For beginning classes, I had to make some structural changes. The first half of class tended to be more direct instruction with an acting activity in the second half. In your case, I would be most concerned about the split year. It seems unlikely that you would have consistency at the advanced level if you only get them for one semester.

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 5.  RE: block scheduling

Posted 01-09-2015 07:30

HI Susan,

I love block scheduling for the longer class time allowed.  For theatre and art classes it is a joy.  I do make sure to split class into different types of activities to maintain student engagement. Our fine arts classes used to be only a quarter long (9 weeks with 84 minutes per day), which limited the amount of material we could cover.  We are now on trimesters (12 weeks with 70 minutes per day), which is the same amount of instructional time but extends the time for students to learn lines, etc.  We get more done.   The biggest challenge is that block scheduling limits student choice of electives.  We have to compete for student time between AP classes, Science, English and History electives, etc.  Band and Chorus suffer the most with block scheduling because students can't afford the time to remain in the classes all year.  Good luck!

Rick Osann
    Theatre Teacher
    Standish ME

• 6.  RE: block scheduling

Posted 01-09-2015 08:52
    After being on a modified block schedule for about 8 years, we just switched back to semesters this year and I would give anything (almost) to go back on the block.  On the modified block we had all classes on Monday and then 80 minute blocks Tuesday through Friday with each class meeting 3 out of those 4 days (so we only had 1 day a week that we did not see our students).  I had time to actually get work done in stagecraft, in-depth rehearsing done in acting classes, and a prep hour that allowed me to be able to leave campus and do some props shopping during the school day, if needed.  Now, with 58 minute classes it seems like we just get the paint out and it's time to put it away and I feel like if I do warm-ups at the beginning of an acting class then I barely have time to hold any quality-type rehearsal.  All of our theatre classes have always been semester classes so I can't speak to changes for those teaching full year classes.

Kristie Bach
    Traverse City MI

• 7.  RE: block scheduling

Posted 01-09-2015 09:38
    I have been teaching for 15 years and have only ever had block scheduling.  It may help you to think of the class as a 30-30-30, or an extended "You, Us, Them" idea in a regular learning plan.  With something like the arts, I imagine block scheduling has an advantage - it gives you and the kids time to really delve into concepts that are introduced at the top of the class.  Or if you are rehearsing something- the "extra" time is glorious!

Christa Vogt
    Theatre Teacher
    Virginia Beach VA

• 8.  RE: block scheduling

Posted 01-09-2015 10:03
    The tricky thing about block scheduling is that you may wind up teaching the same class during periods that are of different length. Our schedule (a variation of block scheduling) changes every year or two (crazy, right?), and I have had to teach the same classes in periods that are 55, 65, or 80 minutes in length. The key is to always have something left in your tool kit in case you power through a lesson on any given day. (Or alternately, to be patient when you don't get as far as you wanted to in a shorter period.) It's all about preparation, patience, flexibility on your part; if you let yourself get frustrated it only makes it harder on yourself and your students. So smile, and go with the flow.

Richard Carter
    Lopez Island WA

• 9.  RE: block scheduling

Posted 01-10-2015 10:13

I began my teaching career on a block schedule and after five years they changed to a fifty minute class period. I liked the block so much that I arrayed my musical theatre classes so that students would have to take two periods. When it was on a block  schedule we had much more time to get things accomplished and I rarely have after school rehearsals until tech week. we offered the same course second semester and most of the same students were in the class and some were not able to first it in , but as a general rule. Block scheduling is divine for the theatre classroom!

Ginger Dempsey

Central High School 

Phenix City , AL

• 10.  RE: block scheduling

Posted 01-12-2015 10:56

Hi- we are currently on this system but we call it a "4x4". 4 Classes each semester, everyday, for 90 minutes each. I despise it- it is particularly harmful to my advanced students/ college bound for theatre seniors. We were on this for 2 years before music threw down the hammer to have their classes transitioned back to A-B schedule all year. Problem examples:

A student takes Theatre I/ Intro to Drama Fall 2014 but does not take Theatre II until Spring 2016 due to scheduling logistics. They have spent an entire year forgetting content. Same rules for music: a year break between Beginning and Intermediate Choir or Band means they're not intermediate anymore when they get there.

A senior auditioning for college who you don't have enrolled in a class the Spring of their Junior year or the Fall of their Senior Year. You see them Spring of their Senior Year once they've already had to audition.

We have AP and DE (Dual Enrollment) at our school and they continue to be all year A-B. So if you have students taking those classes they often conflict with yours and guidance puts them in those classes over yours because it looks better for the school statistically.

It also presents a problem for recruitment: students not enrolled in Theatre until the second semester often find other interests in the fall due to lack of exposure and no matter how much they like your class at the end of the year they feel obligated to continue in the other activities they already started.

The way it was presented to us was that it increased student likelihood to successfully pass their State Standards Tests. Example: Suzie takes English in the Fall, takes the Test and fails. She can be re-enrolled in English in the Spring and re-take the test. This likely means Suzie is pulled from electives in order to make this happen. Weirdly, after Suzie takes English all year long everyday she passes the test. Our school looks good on paper.

SO- yes, you could likely make it work depending on the purposes for your school switching to it. IF their reasons are similar to mine you're in a world of trouble. If you have the kind of guidance department who's willing to work with you- then it's great. If you have no goals of building your program in terms of recruitment or supporting students in their pursuit of the arts as a career beyond high school then perhaps these will not be of interest to you. It depends on the program and it's goals.

I much prefer A-B all year with 90 minute classes. I like the extended class time and prefer seeing my advanced students all year. I have tried to make the case that perhaps classes like Theatre I or Introduction to Technical Theatre could be offered on the 4x4 Semester and my Drama 2 - 4 and Tech 2 - 4 classes could be  offered all year long on an A-B option. So far I've not been successful getting that implemented.

Just for some background: we are a rural single high school county with 1 middle school and 2 elementary schools.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Tori

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Theatre Teacher
    New Kent County Public Schools
    New Kent VA