Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sweeney Todd

Posted 01-08-2015 08:07

Hi all,

I am doing a production of Sweeney Todd with my Upper School kids. I am not afraid of working with blood, but wondered if anyone had done it and discovered any new and creative ways to do those scenes. I found renting the blades with the squiritng blood a bit pricey for my taste.

Any great ideas?

Thanks,

DJ Queenan

------------------------------
    DJ Queenan
    Savannah GA

• 2.  RE: Sweeney Todd

Posted 01-08-2015 10:10
    I recently saw a production that utilized red fabric (handkerchiefs, ribbon, etc) to symbolize bloodshed. It was very effective and evocative, and certainly less messy than fake blood. Good luck. I applaud anyone daring enough to produce this very challenging show.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Bronx NY

• 3.  RE: Sweeney Todd

Posted 01-09-2015 08:42
    We just did a dramatic version of Sweeney Todd in November and our blood work looked awesome! Like you, we also looked at renting the blood squirting blades and thought they were outrageously priced.  I ended up just buying straight razors on Amazon (they look exactly the same as the rentals and were about $18) and had my stagecraft kids make 2-3 inch wide satin "ribbons" (double layer of satin).  The satin was heavy enough that when rolled up, it unrolled without a weight, but was compact enough that the actors could hold it in a closed fist and bring it up to their throats to release it.

Kristie Bach
    Traverse City MI

• 4.  RE: Sweeney Todd

Posted 01-09-2015 09:02
    We used light very effectively--using an intelligent light on strobe and a red filter--we zoomed in on the throat as it was being cut--very representational and powerful--and the strobe complemented and reinforced the overall horror tone nicely.

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 5.  RE: Sweeney Todd

Posted 01-09-2015 15:13
    In the first scene I established that Toby was insane and he had 2 attendants. These attendants showed up throughout the production. Whenever someone was killed by Sweeney there was a factory whistle sfx that sounded at a very high volume, the entire stage was washed in red light for the length of the whistle, and then the 2 attendants dressed the victim in a white lab coat with its collar drenched in red dye. The victim then would slowly exit the scene. ------------------------------ David Kramer Mt Sinai NY ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Sweeney Todd

Posted 01-09-2015 15:14
    In the first scene I established that Toby was insane and he had 2 attendants. These attendants showed up throughout the production. Whenever someone was killed by Sweeney there was a factory whistle sfx that sounded at a very high volume, the entire stage was washed in red light for the length of the whistle, and then the 2 attendants dressed the victim in a white lab coat with its collar drenched in red dye. The victim then would slowly exit the scene. ------------------------------ David Kramer Mt Sinai NY ------------------------------