Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Jekyll and Hyde and Keyboards

Posted 01-07-2015 12:36

Good morning! We are doingJekyll and Hyde in the spring, and my conductor and I are curious about instrumentation, especially what is needed in the way of keyboards (we don't have the books yet, and we want to be prepared). Anyone have experience with this show? Do you need a lot of keyboards, keyboard patches or effects, etc.?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Cynthia Calhoun
    Teacher
    Maricopa AZ

• 2.  RE: Jekyll and Hyde and Keyboards

Posted 01-09-2015 13:43

The orchestration shows 3 keyboard books. MTI used to have a lenient 'advance policy.' Once you returned your contract with (at least) security deposit, you could make a request for a few advance materials for the Creative Team to begin working on the show prior to the onset of rehearsals.

Perusal materials are loaned for a limited period and even though you may have licensed a show that you were perusing, the two transactions s (perusal and booking a show) are separate and don't 'talk to each other.' Many folks simply want to keep their perusal materials to start working on the show and are confused when they begin to receive 'missing materials' invoices when the perusals become overdue.

That's why you can request an 'advance.' Usual items that can go out are 1-2 libretto/vocal books, score and logopak. If you have a good relationship with your rep at MTI, explain your situation and ask for the 3 keyboard orch books to be sent as an 'advance.' You can't ask for too much in advance because you don't want to cross the line into that "additional monthly rental fee" for materials territory.

The advance is 'free' (at least it used to be) and the shipping charges are deducted from your security deposit.

As an option, J&H also has a 4 volume 'full score' resource. I think a rental of the full score is ~$100. If you optioned the full score resource to your booking, there's no reason they shouldn't send that in advance (like a logopak - just for the cost of shipping) and those scores should have all 3 keyboard lines right there on the same page...

Michael McDonough
    New York NY