Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Activities for Students with Disabilities

Posted 01-04-2015 12:52
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussions: Open Forum and Middle School Theatre .
    -------------------------------------------
    For those of you who work specifically with Students with Disabilities, what are some activities and strategies that have been successful in your program? Are there particular games that have been particularly effective in your classroom? Do you work with them in a self-contained or an inclusive setting?

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Bronx NY

• 2.  RE: Activities for Students with Disabilities

Posted 01-04-2015 15:16
    At our school, we have two teachers who teach/have taught an ESE only (learning/emotional/physically disabled). I taught it last year and completely tanked, as I had no idea what to do, so this year I asked for the former teacher to teach it again this year. She is really, really good. I'm learning a lot from observing her. The class is called Visual Performing Arts, and has between 10-15 students in various levels of ability (I.e. One student who only communicates via muffled screams through to high functioning verbally cogent but low IQ, etc.). What I see that works: 1) rehearsing extensively very simple songs that they sing along to, culminating in a public performance to the school (invited classes to limit the numbers). 2) a cool exercise involving individual students each holding two cow bells, with the teacher conducting them to play a tune. Pretty awesome sight to behold, as well as being pretty easy. 3) coloring and decorating for the shows, making simple props or posters for the shows they are doing. 4) very, very relaxed pacing and tons of repetition, with lots of encouragement and gentle moving toward public performance. Taken all together, my colleague, mentor and friend is very patient and has a definite plan, schedule and end goal in mind. The class is self contained. ------------------------------------------- Phillip Goodchild Valrico FL -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Activities for Students with Disabilities

Posted 01-04-2015 20:37
    We have an inclusive department on our campus for all electives. Sometimes students who have special needs are accompanied by a para-professional, but not usually. Something I do that works really well is to have the special needs child working in duo scenes with 2 other students. The special needs child has another student (of the same sex) working on the same part so that that (s)he can "see" the rehearsal process by watching a contemporary. The other child in the scene is informed that (s)he will have to perform the scene twice BUT I always put the higher performance grade into the gradebook. This extra opportunity has really helped motivate to kids to work with students who need the extra help. I'm also really lucky because the environment on our campus is very supportive of students who have special needs.

I do a lot of improv games in my classroom. There are so many to choose from that I am able to have different kids playing games that they like and/or are confident in while allowing them to watch their fellows in the ones they do not prefer as much. I also do a unit on fractured fairy tales. This is popular because the students are able to reset and play with a classic fairy tale as much as they like, and they choose their individual groups. The unit culminates with a performance in front of the class where they use set pieces, props, and costumes.

If a written exam is happening in class, depending on the IEP, I will allow the use of study guides/notes or additional time. I have a standing rule in my classroom that, except for the midterm and final, students may redo any assignment. Yes, this makes for more work for me in terms of grading, but I've found that the students receive higher grades when they don't have as much pressure associated with a grade. (and it's really nice when parents complain about student grades. The child could have redone the assignments for higher scores. It pretty much silences the parents and puts the responsibility back on the students' shoulders where it belongs)

I would recommend contacting your special ed department and asking them what sorts of things work well. Try to be as specific as possible when getting info. Give specific limitations you are struggling with and then modify the information you get to fit your classroom and lessons. Don't be afraid to try something new out. If it doesn't work then (stolen and paraphrased from the Globe) "Fail. Fail magnificently, Fail again".

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ