Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Classroom Management in Middle School

Posted 01-02-2015 06:47
    Hello Everyone,

I posted early in the school year.  I'm a first year theater teacher with a Professional Educational Theater Credential, which I achieved because I have my MA in Acting.

I'm now writing because I have some classroom management questions which I thought I might post here to get a few points of few from teachers here.  I know we are all from different states, but I always like what i'm read on this list.  

At one of my schools, which is where I have the majority of my classes has large groups of 25 and 30.  So far i've established scenes that we are working with and we have tests in the next week or so.  In the middle of the semester there were students who from the beginning have refused to do drama.  

At parent / teacher conferences a few months ago one of the parents suggested that for students who do not do acting that I give them activities that have to do with technical theater.  Also, a teacher who I was advised to consult with suggested the same thing.  I have assigned some sketch assignments that have to do with the script that we are working with - even through I have NO experience in technical theater - but I do have my undergrad in Theater and we were required to do some course work so - the truth is I have been able to create some very basic assignments and some students have been able to be productive and create some nice practical work and now I am able to make a test based on NYC Blueprint Standards alongside acting scenes in order to accommodate students who are more focused in these areas.

All classrooms are different.  I just feel a little strange teaching two disciplines in one class, but if that's what i've been encouraged to do.

What I want is to encourage all students to participate in the same lesson.  That said, i've read that a good lesson is one with multiple points of entry.

Feedback please.  Have other teachers here needed to give a few different lessons?  Is this typical of a school where it is the first year with a drama program is new?

I love the acting scenes and its exciting to me to see the acting students now engaged in thier scene work.  It also means a lot to me when students who are really focused on technical theater commit to the assignment that reflects the scenes we are working on.  Happily, I need to state that since the time of the mid - semester when there were issues getting some students to participate, there have been more students participating in acting assignments as well as tech theatre assignments.  

Hope that you are all having a good winter break.  

-------------------------------------------
    Carrie Isaacman
    Theater Teacher
    New York City Department of Education
    New York NY

• 2.  RE: Classroom Management in Middle School

Posted 01-02-2015 10:13
    Hello again all,

Well - I haven't gotten a response - but I think that i've come to some kind of conclusion here.  So if anyone wants to respond, feel free, otherwise please know that i've come up with an answer to my issue about teaching two different disciplines in a class based on some of the responses that i've read from you all:

Unless I was teaching a separate class in tech theater I should probably focus on the discipline that i was hired to teach.  

If students are refusing to do the work they get a '0' for that days work.  

So that's how im going to handle grading going forward.

Have a good rest of your winter break all!

Sincerely,

Carrie Isaacman
    Theater Teacher
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: Classroom Management in Middle School

Posted 01-03-2015 17:33
    Hello Carrie-
    I missed your earlier post, but I think you've come to the correct conclusion.
    The key to the whole situation is the phrase "students who do not do acting" .... At the start of my Beginning Drama class, I let everyone know that this is an acting class, and most of the assignments will be performance-based. If they are unable or unwilling or too afraid to do performance assignments, they have two choices: 1. Go to your counselor and tell him you need to change classes. 2. Give this class a try. It's fun. There are lots of people in this class who have never done acting before.
    Most kids stay, and most find they enjoy the class.
    On a related note, whenever a student in an acting class says they'll "just do tech," they actually mean they don't want to do anything. The kids with a genuine interest in Tech Theatre sign up for Stagecraft.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA

• 4.  RE: Classroom Management in Middle School

Posted 01-03-2015 18:21
    Sorry Carrie you have received no response. Many are way for the holidays. I have just returned from the jungles of Costa Rica and have read your post. Definitely stick with what you were hired to teach, however, instead of just a "0" grade for those who don't do the work, why not include a tech unit (however basic) for everyone? That way, students who aren't tech savvy may have to rise to the occasion, just as the non actors are being asked to step up too. Also, if kids aren't artists (and lack drawing skills), have them find samples of sets or costumes in mags and online and cut and paste them together to show what they are thinking. 
    If you try to accommodate every students personal desires, you will go crazy. I teach theater full time (required courses and electives) to 6-8 grade. There are lots of kids who don't want to do things. That's their choice. But if you give everyone an equal shot at getting a good grade, (don't back down on this but modify if you must for say, memorization or major stage fright) you'll be surprised how quickly everyone wants to do what you ask and more.

Ron Wells
    LCJ Summit Middle School
    Summit NJ

• 5.  RE: Classroom Management in Middle School

Posted 01-04-2015 13:48
    Hi Carrie,

I also missed your original post. I teach in a small, rural school district where I've had to adapt my curriculum sometimes to meet the needs of, say, a particularly boisterous 6th grade class, already legendary in elementary school as "those boys." Not being a techie at all, I turned to Bob and Marti Fowler of Interactive Educational Video. Their series of Practical Technical Theatre videos was a lifesaver for me, and I continue to use elements of it in my 6-12 acting class. The introductory lessons are useful to all my beginning theatre students. I also sought out the art and wood shop teachers, who helped me construct some basic set pieces. Now "those boys" are in 12th grade, and they still talk about the play they designed and created that semester: "The Final Ninja!"

Richard Carter
    Lopez Island WA

• 6.  RE: Classroom Management in Middle School

Posted 01-02-2015 14:02
    Hi Carrie,
    Just saw your post.  My first question would be, what is your course description or syllabus.  It is incredibly important to have a clear description and outline of content expectations from day one of any course.  And, for that matter, at the beginning of any assignment or unit.  Students (and parents) need to know what the expected course work is and how they will be assessed.  Sometimes, especially at the Middle School level, these can be rather general or vague, which makes it harder to be intentional in your teaching and easier to go adrift from your intent for the course, unit or assignment. (I'm a 10 year Middle School veteran)

Yes, there are multiple entry points to any curriculum, but the key is - they all must enter the intended learning target in some way.  The teacher must be intentional in getting to the culminating knowledge base.  The vaguer the assignment or curriculum the easier it is for students or parents to complain about something and pull you off course.  If a student or parent says they don't like something you need clear key information to respond to them with and stay your course.

One thing I have found very beneficial is not only defining the acting skill set in my acting courses, but also the global skill sets.  Acting classes teach life skills, social skills, communication skills, collaboration skills, reflection/evaluation skills, etc...  When a parent says something like - Johnnie doesn't like to perform, his counselor just put him in the class - I have a full arsenal of reasons why, even if Johnnie doesn't like acting and never wants to be an actor, my class is extremely beneficial to him.  Almost, without exception, every time I've had that conversation with a parent their response has been something like - wow, I had no idea that's what you were teaching.  I thought they just memorized lines and recited them on stage.

First years are always a challenge!  Hang in there and feel free to message me if I can help you more specifically.  I would be happy to dialogue with you about curriculum development if that would be helpful to you!
    Have a great second semester!
    Amy 

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 7.  RE: Classroom Management in Middle School

Posted 01-02-2015 23:22

I don't think this is a question about "classroom management" so much as it is a question of "intruction" and "engagement". I don't know if you have other management issues as well, but it seems to me that you have an issue that's very common among middle school students. They are inherently in a self-centered period of development and so they tend to think that the earth should turn on their moods. Only a middle school student would go into a class and say, "well I don't like doing this, so I shouldn't have to" and not only mean it, but think others should accept it. That said, I've been a Middle School Teacher for 12 years now and I love this age.

I do not think that you should prepare separate lessons a single class because you cannot adequately or effectively deliver two lessons in a single period. Not all students can be actors, nor should they all be actors, but all students should be participants in the planned activity. I have a very no nonsense approach to the activities and lessons I plan. I certainly understand that some students are inhibited and might not want to perform in from of peers, but fear is something one should try to overcome, not nurture. I know it's especially hard in large classes, but through strategic paring, and careful scene selection, you can help a willing student become comfortable performing. Give them a place to start where they are guaranteed success and they may later become less reluctant to take risks.

I do think that you should provide units of study that are not performance based so that you give as many students the opportunity to excel as you can. I work with the NYC Blueprint as well, and I try to make sure that all students meet their 8th Grade Benchmarks in all areas, not just performance or just technical. I think a project based approach can be very beneficial.

It's always tough your first year when a school doesn't know what to expect or what's possible of a Theatre program. As you learn, and grow, you'll find different ways to deal with these attitudes and behaviors. You have to be firm. You can't tell a math teacher, "I don't think my kid likes fractions and decimals. Maybe you should only give him whole numbers." Give your course the respect it deserves and make sure others do, too. Feel free contact me if you have questions or need any other assistance.
    Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Bronx NY

• 8.  RE: Classroom Management in Middle School

Posted 01-03-2015 11:02
    Some really good advice from many people on this thread, so I will reiterate the idea of having a clear syllabus and using the Theatre Standards released last summer as the foundation for them; they have clear VERBS that are the skills to assess and if students are not happy with those, they can elect not to take the course or (if it is a required course--and wouldn't THAT be marvelous) one just points to other disciplines and makes the argument that students may not pick and choose which standards they wish to learn. Once I figure out how and make the time, I plan to upload all of the work I have done over the past twenty or so years, both in the US and overseas, in terms of curriculum maps, syllabi, etc for people to pick through.

Another really good point made by the wonderful Mr Hugh is that teenagers are self-absorbed, which is perfectly normal for their development. Luckily, they are also able to be persuaded by smart teachers who can craft things in such a way that makes them still feed their egos but in ways that satisfy your needs, as well.

The core of my theatre teaching is the use of the Elements of Drama; various sources list them differently, but they come down to basics like tension, focus, conflict, etc (Mat Clausen's book is marvelous for use as a foundation for all of this) and so we work on every unit (clowning and comedy, Commedia, group devised playbuilding, etc) in my Intro level course with these ideas in mind. I always have a rationale component that allows students to demonstrate in written form what they may not have demonstrated in performance or design.

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 9.  RE: Classroom Management in Middle School

Posted 01-04-2015 09:04
    I agree that you shouldn't try to teach two different topics simultaneously in that way. It will wear you down and just create more of a divide  in the class.  I do a lot of small group assignments in my class in which students are given essentially a scenario or criteria (depending on what we are learning) and then the students work in small groups to create the material and then perform the material.  This tends to work well for me because inevitably the students who are more shy will work with their group to write themselves a small part and then the ones who really want to act will write a larger part.  I make them all responsible for all elements of their performance, including costumes, props, or music.  This sort of allows students the chance to work on something that is important to them...be it writing the script, costuming the piece, selecting music, and even directing and acting. 

There are still issues that arise because you still have the students who, no matter what, just don't want to contribute to their group.  However, I do always have students evaluate each others' group contribution at the end of each assignment. 

Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC

• 10.  RE: Classroom Management in Middle School

Posted 01-05-2015 06:11
    Hello all,

Thank you all for your responses!  I am just now reading them.  For now, as I am preparing students for thier acting exam, im going to restress the original intentions of the class and am basing the exam on requirements from the NYC Blueprint. 

Also, after the exam i'll start a non-performance unit.  Maybe on basics of tech theater since I have a unit on that. 

I may write more questions to you all but im so glad to have gotten a lot of info here that I can respond to in the future as well.  

Have a great week!

Carrie 

Carrie Isaacman
    Theater Teacher
    New York NY