Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Hidden Musical Gem Needed

Posted 12-29-2014 15:22
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussions: Middle School Theatre and Open Forum .
    -------------------------------------------
    I'm trying build my repertoire of musicals that are suitable for Middle School Theatre Programs. Aside from the usual suspects, has anyone come across lesser known full-length musicals that work well for middle school students?

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Bronx NY

• 2.  RE: Hidden Musical Gem Needed

Posted 12-30-2014 00:03

Jack Arbuckle
    I don't know exactly what you're looking for or what you've done in the past, but I know my middle school program did a production of Honk Junior that we were all quite fond of. I'd recommend it.

• 3.  RE: Hidden Musical Gem Needed

Posted 12-30-2014 08:29
    Bugsy Malone.  

J. Michael Beech
    Gastonia NC

• 4.  RE: Hidden Musical Gem Needed

Posted 12-30-2014 10:41
    Many moons ago I did Time and Time Again at the middle school level and it was a huge success. It borrows on the Back to the Future theme as well as nods to the Grease song repertoire, is easy on the set building and fun costuming (1950s). The music is accessible for both student orchestra and voices, although we used a recorded soundtrack. Plus a flexible cast that features 14 girls!!! Here's the link:
    http://www.pioneerdrama.com/searchdetail.asp?pc=TIMEANDTIM

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 5.  RE:Hidden Musical Gem Needed

Posted 12-30-2014 14:10
    How to Eat Like a Child...and other lessons in not being a grown-up Once On This Island Jr. Bugsy Malone Jr.

Jo Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 6.  RE: Hidden Musical Gem Needed

Posted 12-31-2014 07:25
    I agree with Jack - HONK was such a great show and one I plan to repeat. Another one to consider is Dear Edwina, an off-Broadway musical. HONK isn't very well known and Dear Edwina even less!! Both are available in Jr. versions from MTI.
    I did Dear Edwina in the early stages of our theatre program. I had one senior and two freshmen - with nothing in between - and lots of middle school students. The songs are so clever and it can be as simple or elaborate as you want. I was actually telling someone a couple weeks ago that it's a musical I would do again but I would do it with middle school or 5th - 8th.

Connie Sandoz
    Theatre Director
    Henderson NV

• 7.  RE: Hidden Musical Gem Needed

Posted 12-31-2014 11:37
    I agree with How To Eat Like a Child from Samuel French. TRW also has a young jazz series that are meant for middle schools and come with a CD like MTI Jr shows. In addition to providing a great show made for middle schools it also introduces the kids to jazz music. http://www.trwmusicals.com/jazz-drama-program.php

Jameson McDougal
    Right On Cue Services
    Provo UT

• 8.  RE: Hidden Musical Gem Needed

Posted 01-03-2015 15:31
    Was just in my classroom today with my wife and kids (trying to clear up ready for Monday, plus the kids just love running around the stage and singing 'Frozen' and 'Shrek' numbers), and found a handout from MTI. Though generally pricier, there's some good titles available in their Broadway junior collection. It depends on what your goals are, and I saw you said 'lesser-known,' but by that do you mean no name/'brand' (hate that term) recognition? Because they have 'Hairspray jnr,' 'Shrek jnr,' the Magic Tree House... Don't know if that helps, but thought I'd throw it in for free. ------------------------------------------- Phillip Goodchild Valrico FL -------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Open Forum : Hidden Musical Gem Needed

Posted 01-14-2015 09:14

Once on This Island - Beautiful!!!!!!

------------------------------
    Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN
    ------------------------------