Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  National Standards and Connecting

Posted 10-08-2013 21:47

So I hope many of you are finding yourself thinking about the new national standards that are under review.  I know I have a million and one things going on with a fall production, lesson planning, and of course other non-theatre school obligations.  I would think many of you are in similar positions.  Yet we still find time to complete a review of the national standards.  I think we all find this time because we see the importance that these standards will play, not only in our classroom, but for the advocacy of the arts in general.

This brings me to my current question.  Over the last two weeks (well in reality much longer, but now I feel the pressure to craft my opinion) I find myself questioning the idea of connecting being its own artistic process.  I clearly see where the writers are coming from in drawing it out; however, I see the standards more accurately falling into the areas of creating and responding (also performing in some ways).  I wonder if connecting should just be a process component of the other three areas.  I think that we are always connecting during our process as artists.  We connect while we are creating.  We connect while we are performing.  We certainly connect while we are responding.  

Of course this brings me to an issue I have been having while curriculum writing over the years.  I find myself wanting to visually represent the organic nature of our work in some way that is not a liner structure.  This is almost impossible in most models in use today.  We rarely create in isolation from perform or respond.  The same is true for other combinations.  So then the question becomes, why would I not keep connecting separate.  Creating is separate from performing even though we have to create something before we perform it.  

Then back to the other side of the issue, I sometimes think that there is value in being in line with the music and visual arts folks.  This could be a strong national statement about arts.  I do not mean to suggest that we are all completely the same, because we each have unique differences.  However, I feel it is important to note the similarities about what makes us all artists.  Now, maybe I am reading into this too much and it is perfectly fine for some areas to have three artistic processes and others to have four.  As you can see I am still going back and forth about this.

My hope for this post was twofold.  First, I wanted to verbalize some of my thoughts in the hope that it will help me grapple with the issue.  Second, I wanted to see how other professionals are reacting to this.  Do you think that the connecting standards are correctly place in their own process component?  Do you think it would be stronger to mix them into the other three?  I can't wait to read people's thoughts about this as we all work on submitting our review of the national standards for high school.      

-------------------------------------------
    Steven Fleming
    Lead Technical Theatre Teacher
    Howard County Public School System

• 2.  RE:National Standards and Connecting

Posted 10-09-2013 10:45
    Steven,
    You voice a lot of the issues that the standards writing team has wrestled with over the last year and a half. We are attempting to put a recursive process into a linear model in order to be more in line with other content area such as English and math. It does feel "clunky" because that is not the way we actually do things in any art form. But we have yet to find a better way to help policy makers, administrators and our peers understand that we do have rigorous standards that students are expected to meet.

Thinking about the Connecting Component and whether it should be embedded or it's own component. I will defend the separation in this way. As a writing team we were asked to think about what makes theatre different from the other art forms and to write that into the standards. To find the essence of what makes theatre worth teaching and learning about. It made me truly reflect on what my students get out of a theatre class that is more difficult for them to get in a painting or music class. What came to me and to others on the writing team was connecting. Not the idea of connecting what they are doing in the art form to history or society (although that is important), but the deep connections that form within someone when they have experienced the collaborative nature of working in theatre. We have all seen the change that even one show can have on a student. Their personal sense of connection verse isolation to the world around them, the interrelated and interdependent feelings that occur, and the empathic understanding that working with others on something bigger than themselves creates is, I believe, what makes theatre the empowering and powerful force that drives human beings forward since primitive times.

That said, it may be best to align with other art forms to be more alike than different, but at this moment in time I love thinking about the quintessence nature of what theatre offers all students!

Thanks for bring up your thoughts on the standards! Everyone should review them before Oct. 21st is done. Go to the NCASS wiki and let your voice be heard!

Leslie

Leslie Van Leishout
    Theater Education Coordinator
    Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

• 3.  RE:National Standards and Connecting

Posted 10-09-2013 11:50
    Steven,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the artistic process of Connect that is currently embedded in the draft high school theatre standards. Following Leslie's comment, I would like to add my own: The National Coalition for Core Arts Standards Leadership, along with the individual writing teams have pondered the question of Connect as a viable arts process from the outset of this project. We began by trying to actually define what it meant-unlike the three traditional processes of Create, Perform and Respond, the word itself bears multiple meanings. For some, Connect is the articulation of the cognitive, brain-based activities that occur during the making of theatre; for others, Connect is the real-world learning arc that takes place in theatre to other learning disciplines, as well as cultural, historical, and personal understanding. For still others, there was no difference. You are most certainly correct in asserting that the process ecting occurs throughout the tradtional Big Three processes and so, perhaps we are not justified in labeling it as a discrete process. However, as Leslie noted, there was a strong believe among the theatre writing team that it was important that they illuminate what makes theatre unique among the arts disciplines. Thus, within Connect, you have the component verbs of Empathy--the cognitive moment; Interelate--the connective thread to other worlds, etc; and (newly added) Research--the inquiry into the work, etc of others suggested in both Empathy and Interrelate. Regarding the issue of alignment, I can say unequivically that there is both an expectation and a demand that the arts standards across all five art forms demonstrate commonality in the project's foundational goal of artistic literacy. In fact, all disciplines ARE recognizing the process of Connect--just in different ways. Theatre, Media Arts, and Dance have teased it out as discrete process; Visual Arts and Music have embedded within the other three processess, but will, in the web-based environment, tag  standards within these process that feature Connect. At the end of the day, could theatre have simply followed the same strategy? Absolutely. But would we necessarily have told the full story of the art--what it is, how it's taught, and why every K-12 student should have the opportunity to experience it. No, I don't think so. Connect is a bit of a stake in the ground for us. I think we need it for both pedagogical and advocacy reasons. I hope that our respondents to the current public review will agree. I would urge everyone to raise their voice in this process at http://nccas.wikispaces.com.
    James Palmarini
    Director of Educational Policy

• 4.  RE:National Standards and Connecting

Posted 10-11-2013 13:56
    Hello All,

I am delighted to respond to this thread on the importance of connect within the new standards. I do agree with Steve, that on every level of theatre and the practice of readying and teaching our students the process of the stage, connection is embedded in everything we do. However, on a broader scale, I do have to suggest that one of the greatest attractions my students have to theatre is the overall connections they create with one another through the process of involvement. 

A few years ago, I noticed a phenomena in my theatre classroom when at the end of the semester I asked students to write about their reaction to the class. An overall assessment from the majority of their journals was that they felt connected with students they typically would not associate with outside the classroom. As my school district experienced a gradual growth in diversity, I began to look at this as an opportunity. In fact, this has become the basis of my capstone for my graduate study. 

I believe, that having Connect be one of the major strands of the standards, allows a common perception to build that theatre is far more than getting students to 'memorize lines and run across the stage.' We all know the battles we have with justifying our existence, and rather than whine about those generalizations, what better way to create growth in our program than to begin validating the tremendous relationships and connections students might make through the process of theatre?

I like Leslie's line in this commentary, "but the deep connections that form within someone when they have experienced the collaborative nature of working in theatre." I think this is an invaluable tool that we have the opportunity to create and hone as theatre teachers in the classroom. 

Thank you for a wonderful discussion as we incorporate the standards into the future of our theatre classroom.

Thom Amundsen - Director
    Shakopee High School
    Shakopee, MN 55379

tba@integra.net

• 5.  RE:National Standards and Connecting

Posted 10-12-2013 12:49

Wow, what a great conversation I wish every teacher in my state could hear.

The topic of connectivity came up for us too, as we discussed it's purpose and the need for it to be its own process. The majority agree: "We do it inherently, so why bother with one more detail to explain to the powers above who don't get it?" On the other hand, the need to educate them of it's importance out weighs the added paperwork. This conversation needs to be brought to the table for the policy makers, as Leslie reminds us, to understand that what we do is viable and rigorous and sometimes can't be seen concretely or linear. However we all know, it will be discovered in the lives of the people we educate to be "college and career ready." Our students are known to leave us and carry these valuable lessons into their future to become more educated, empathetic, and active citizens in our society.

I agree we have a unique art form and the ability to teach skills, expand brains and lives to see the world from a different perspective. Now with this added concept in writing, separated out for the world to see, we will be able to support our programs with National support. So, I guess in my eyes, this distinction of connectivity needs to be stated in BOLD, so it will give me talking room at the table to advocate for what I believe we all know, and the policy makers need to understand.

Looking forward to many more conversations with you all as we work through this process. As John Lennon once said: "It's a long and winding road..." But we are not alone. TTYsoon!
    Denise Ferguson
    Teacher
    Westview High School
    AZ State Board