Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Virtual Stage Management

Posted 12-17-2014 14:05

Is anyone using the MTI Virtual Stage Management Program?  If so, what are the pros and cons of the system? I am thinking of trying it out for our musical but want to justify the cost factors. 

Thanks....
    -------------------------------------------
    Kathy Cannarozzi-Harris
    Chairperson Of Visual And Performing Arts
    Laguna Hills CA

• 2.  RE: Virtual Stage Management

Posted 12-18-2014 06:57
    I used it years ago (so I will not comment on its current iteration, but, at the time, remember feeling like it wasn't worth the money.

Now, my caveat is that when I was using, the major function I was interested in was its ability to create a program to hand out at performances, which probably led me to ignore other useful functions (communicative, etc.), but I recall it being not useful for this task (and, as I say--who knows--they may have changed this feature).  PlaybillVIP, which I believe they are now calling Playbillder--itself a flawed program--has proved more useful for that task.  

Just my recollection.

Ryan Moore
    Ferndale MI

• 3.  RE: Virtual Stage Management

Posted 12-18-2014 08:14
    I have been using www.stagemanagement.com for six years now and I love it!  I love being able to put the entire rehearsal schedule in and it can be individualized.  I love that you can send mass text messages and emails out from the site.  You can also do bios for the program on there and send notes from rehearsals on there as well.

I think it is a very useful tool.  The cons of the site is that it takes a bit of time to load everything in but I typically do it the week before auditions so all I have to do is plug in the cast and crew's names.  Also the site can be a bit slow on occasion but I think the pros far outweigh the cons.

Thanks!

Jason Burgess
    Teacher
    Ft. Thomas Independent Schools.
    Fort Thomas KY

• 4.  RE: Virtual Stage Management

Posted 12-18-2014 10:08

I had the same question.  Hoping there will be some good feedback on this one.

Jenny Brotherton
    Drama Coach-Teacher
    Scranton PA

• 5.  RE: Virtual Stage Management

Posted 12-18-2014 11:39
    I have also been using VSM for years, and I wouldn't do a show without it now.  I love the ability to create the "Show Bible" and then to schedule rehearsals, communicate with actors, and create scene breakdowns.  Some shows already exist in their system with the scenes broken down, but I can also customize a show if I want to rehearse a part of a scene separately (i.e. a monologue within a scene).  It will create an Excel spreadsheet of the scene breakdowns with all the characters in each scene, and that alone is worth so much time for me.  Another great feature is that once students are in your system, they stay in the system, so if a student is in two or three shows, they only have to be re-cast and it updates with their personal information. My students love it now that they have used it, and they can check on their phones to see if they have rehearsals.  I do two shows per year, so I have the year long subscription.  If you have the money, it's well worth it.

Monica Colletti
    San Jose CA

• 6.  RE: Virtual Stage Management

Posted 01-13-2017 20:33
    I love VSM.  I have been using it since it's inception.  I think it is definitely worth the price.  I love the way it helps to organize and schedule rehearsals.  I also love making my students responsible for rehearsals electronically.  They have no excuse for not knowing when a rehearsal is, even if a change is made late.  The notification features are amazing!  I would not do a show without it.

------------------------------
    Sharon Chadwick
    Las Vegas NV

• 7.  RE: Virtual Stage Management

Posted 01-14-2017 13:00
    Does VSM work with NON - MTI shows?

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 1777
    Phoenix High School

• 8.  RE: Virtual Stage Management

Posted 01-16-2017 11:54
    ABSOLUTELY!  You may either use a show breakdown someone else has done and shared or create your own.  I love it and it helps SO much in creating a program/showbill.

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]