Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  African-American all-female script

Posted 12-16-2014 17:04
    Does anyone have an idea for an all-female, all-African-American script?  I have 6 students who want me to find a script for them, specifically.  However, they do not want a "black history" script, such as a biography or historical event.  It should also be a one-act.

They also asked for it to be a comedy, but I told them I couldn't promise that.

I'm a little out of my depth.  Does anyone have any ideas?

-------------------------------------------
    Meredith Stephens
    Greensboro NC

• 2.  RE: African-American all-female script

Posted 12-17-2014 07:12
    Here's a start, http://www.pleasanton.k12.ca.us/avhsweb/hartman/BeginningDrama/One%20Act%20Plays-Final/POOFoneact.htm It's a short comedy for 2 women by Lynn Nottage called "Poof". When a housewife comes to the end of her rope with her abusive husband, she doesn't expect him to… spontaneously combust. Now she has a pile of ashes on the floor, and a life to reclaim. ------------------------------------------- Aaron Goodson Performing Arts Teacher Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School Atlanta GA -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: African-American all-female script

Posted 12-17-2014 07:22
    Although it is not a one-act, Steel Magnolias comes to mind. The stage script is 6 women and, although it is dramatic, their are definitely elements of comedy. It was adapted with an African-American cast for Lifetime a few years ago featuring Queen Latifah and Alfre Woodard. 

The script is available from Dramatists Play Service.

Kory Meinhart
    Toledo OH

• 4.  RE: African-American all-female script

Posted 12-17-2014 08:31
    Try "For colored girls who have considered suicide when the rainbow is enuf" by Ntozake Shange.  With permission, I'm sure it could be cut down to the right length for you.  It is a beautiful script with lots of potential for interpreting it your own way and letting your actors bring their own experiences into the performance.  Some parts are probably a little racy for HS, depending on your community, but if you're cutting it anyway, why not cut those sections?  It's definitely worth a look.  

Amy Bussey
    Stuarts Draft VA

• 5.  RE: African-American all-female script

Posted 12-17-2014 08:51
    There are beautiful cuttings in For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide / When the Rainbow is Enuf  (Shange). This piece offers an incredible ensemble experience and the opportunity to explore movement, though not every page is for every high school theater program. 

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN

• 6.  RE: African-American all-female script

Posted 12-17-2014 14:17
    There is a terrific script called ECLIPSED, by Danai Gurira, but it is only 5 women.  It's about a group of women -- all wives of a Liberian rebel -- being held captive.  Outstanding piece of work!

Billy Dragoo
    Theatre Director/ Fine Arts Department Chairman
    Austin ISD
    Austin TX

• 7.  RE: African-American all-female script

Posted 12-18-2014 07:44
    While not an exact match for your needs, A Song for Coretta by Pearl Cleage (dramatists) is a full-length piece with 5 women. It takes place as people are waiting to go to Coretta Scott King's funeral. Not really a black history piece, but more of a tribute to the civil rights movement. You might be able to pull scenes from the play for in class work.

Scott Wilson
    Ohio
    Columbus OH

• 8.  RE: African-American all-female script

Posted 12-19-2014 06:38
    We presented Pearl Cleague's "THE NACIREMA SOCIETY, et. al" in October. It has 8 woman and 1 male and is a comedy.

Mark A Zimmerman
    Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Akron Public Schools

• 9.  RE: African-American all-female script

Posted 12-23-2014 14:49
    I saw this post when it was first posted, but this just occurred to me. It is a full-length, but you might be able to find some use for it. PJ Gibson's, "A Long Time Since Yesterday" has an all female cast. I've taken writing classes from Ms. Gibson in the past and she's excellent.

http://www.samuelfrench.com/p/2535/long-time-since-yesterday

Hope you find this helpful.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Bronx NY