Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Puppets!

Posted 10-02-2013 08:25
    I'm looking for either a vendor or an artist that I can get six cat puppets from.  The traditional arm rod puppets that you would see on Sesame Street that are operated under a countertop.  

Does anyone:
    A. Have any contacts?
    B. Have any knowledge or resources to share in order to build them with the crew?

Thanks all!

-------------------------------------------

DanielDobrovich
    Director of Theatre
    ddobrovich@cranbrook.edu
    LivoniaMI

• 2.  RE:Puppets!

Posted 10-03-2013 11:44
    I'd be interested in hearing more about this! Are you using these puppets for a particular show or class?

Etsy is a surprisingly great place to find really specific prop and costume pieces in a variety of price ranges. If you can't find exactly what you are looking for, you can find an artist who creates something similar (just search "arm rod puppets") and message them with your custom request. Since you can connect directly with the artist to ask questions, you could also find out if they would be willing to provide an online tutorial. Or if one is local, you can have them in to teach a class! Here are some that I found that might be worth checking out:

PuppetSmith Arts in Iowa (they make a rabbit puppet with a body type I imagine would be similar to a cat puppet).

Sublimations in Florida will turn a photograph into a puppet.

On Hand By Hand in Utah has more affordable options. Types of monster puppets are pictured but they gladly take custom orders.

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association