Open Forum

View Only

Plays with female leads

• 1.  Plays with female leads

Posted 12-12-2014 08:35
    I am in a dilemma for my spring play. My drama class has 1 very strong male, and only a few more who are adequate.  We have 5 or more very strong females, who I would like to cast. Any ideas besides All The King's Women? I have been looking at audience participation murder mysteries, but many have large casts.  Any plays that are gender neutral? 

• 2.  RE: Plays with female leads

Posted 12-12-2014 11:21
    Contempt of Court is an audience participation based piece, but does have musical elements to it. Are you looking for only full length pieces or One-Acts as well?

-------------------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Plays with female leads

Posted 12-13-2014 11:09
    How many kids in the class?  
    It sounds like The Children's Hour by Lillian Hellman is perfect for you.  It requires 1 very strong male, 5 very strong females, and anywhere from 8-12 other girls. It has two small  male parts that can be turned into girls easily.  

Jeremy Goldson
    Denver CO

• 4.  RE: Plays with female leads

Posted 12-13-2014 13:22

'Antigone' is always good for a strong female lead, one strong male...The other roles you can make gender neutral, mostly (messenger, sentry...Tiresias). 

'Ruthless! The Musical' is a very darkly-cute comedy musical with several strong female lead parts, with one of the lead 'females' actually a man in drag/disguise until the end of the show...very funny. 

Just saw 'Cinderella Chronicles'...so-so, kinda cute/funny in a whimsical kinda way, mostly females with maybe 2 male parts, others mostly female, some neutral. 
    Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL

• 5.  RE: Plays with female leads

Posted 12-14-2014 18:05
    If you want to go the comedy route, look at Neil Simon's "The Odd Couple, Female Version".  You only need two males, and the rest are female.  Two strong females in Olive and Florence and some good character parts for the girlfriends.  It can get a bit mature so that might be a problem.  Even so, it is a fun show with a good name recognition.  Have a great show!

Cary Shapiro
    Ankeny IA

• 6.  RE: Plays with female leads

Posted 12-15-2014 01:12

If you think your class is up for it, you could create your own adaptation of a public domain show.  I've seen Hamlet done with Rosencrantz, Guildenstern and Polonius made female characters.  You could do something similar with other shows, I imagine.

You mention that a lot of shows are too big - how big of a cast are you looking for?  That would help narrow down my suggestions.
    Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 7.  RE: Plays with female leads

Posted 12-15-2014 12:51
    We had a lot of fun with "The Hound of the Baskervilles: A Comic Thriller Starring Shirley Holmes and Jennie Watson" from Dramatic Publishing.  It changes many of the traditional male roles to females.  It doesn't have audience interaction, but it uses quite a few fun theatrical devices.  It can be expanded to include a lot of performers if you wish.

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 8.  RE: Plays with female leads

Posted 12-15-2014 14:00
    Hi Amy,

Exhibit This! The Museum Comedies is a play that is done iby many in your situation because you just have to recruit 1 or 2 boys and can change the characters genders for the rest.  It is about the Metropolitan Museum of Art that comes to life.  It is 7 one acts and 6 monologues.  Example of gender change:  Who says Socrates can't be played by a female?  It is published by Samuel French.  Simple sets.  Contemporary setting.  And it's a Comedy.  Author website with all info:  www.LuigiJannuzzi.com  The website also has all art work from the Met in pictures so if you love Art & Theatre this could be your play.  
    www.SamuelFrench.com has a sample read of the script on the publishers website that explains more on page 3 under Production notes.  Break a leg!     
    Luigi Jannuzzi
    Hillsborough NJ

• 9.  RE: Plays with female leads

Posted 12-16-2014 18:26
    I just did The Female Odd Couple and it was a blast! I teach at an all girls school, so I am always looking for good vehicles for women. I have done and then there were nine and used girls as men, it worked out great! I also just put on a production of The Man Who Came to Dinner, all female. And it was even well received! ------------------------------------------- Kim Silverman Director of Theatre The Grier School Tyrone PA -------------------------------------------

• 10.  RE: Plays with female leads

Posted 12-17-2014 07:13
    Try "The Girls of the Garden Club" by John Patrick.  Two guy parts, one of whom says nothing for the whole show, and an almost unlimited number of females can be cast. 

Rob Albrecht
    Aurora OH

• 11.  RE: Plays with female leads

Posted 12-18-2014 10:50
    You may also look into "Quilters" and "Radio Gals" for two period pieces that have strong female parts.

Gene Flaharty
    Independence MO

• 12.  RE: Plays with female leads

Posted 12-19-2014 18:15
    NIGHTWATCH by Louise Fletcher is a terrific murder mystery with a smallish cast and a female lead. It's not interactive, however. 

Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas CA

• 13.  RE: Plays with female leads

Posted 01-01-2015 01:16
    It may be too late for this spring but I recommend that you read To See the Stars by Cynthia Mercati.  It does have a fairly large cast and the bulk of the roles, including the leading roles, are females.

Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA