Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  College Design Portfolio

Posted 12-11-2014 11:58
    Hello; I have a talented technical/design student who is coming up on portfolio deadlines for college.  Each college, though, seems to have rather general outlines of what is needed in a portfolio.  I would love to see some specific guidelines and examples of exactly what should be in stage management and set design portfolios; any advice would be helpful!  Thank you.

-------------------------------------------
    Kathleen Herb-Baker
    San Diego CA

• 2.  RE: College Design Portfolio

Posted 12-11-2014 14:57
    I don't have a portfolio for set design but I do have one from a senior this year. It included:
    • title page
    • top and front view of the set
    • cast/crew list
    • cast/crew contact list
    • rehearsal schedule
    • reherasal track list
    • rehearsal notes
    • production team notes
    • staging written into the script
    • cast/crew sign in sheets
    • costume list
    • prop list
    • light cues wirtten into the script
    • shift cues written into the script
    • sound cues
    • safety issues
    • program
    • general notes sheets

I think I might be missing something....

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: College Design Portfolio

Posted 12-12-2014 06:58
    When we look at portfolios, we are trying to get a sense of how a student approaches the work, what their process is. To that end, for an SM, notes taken during rehearsal, blocking, to do lists, etc are more useful than sign in sheets. I want to see their pre-production planning, breakdown of scenes, characters, shift plots etc. It is also important to have an explanation of how SM duties & responsibilities are divvied up at the school. For designers, I want to get a sense of their process, their script analysis, their research, how their research is ultimately used to inform their.choices. i want to see their other artwork, their sketchbook, their "doodles" anything that could help me understand how the student works as a creative artist. Weather as a SM or designer I would love to see a statement of artistic intent a statement of philosophy. ------------------------------------------- John Friedenberg Director Of Theatre Department of Theatre & Dance Winston-salem NC -------------------------------------------