Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Future Adjudicators

Posted 12-11-2014 08:57
    I am an Alumni of troupe 7400, and I have wanted to know the process of becoming a adjudicator! I was wondering if anyone had any pointers! I am a current student at The American Musical and Dramatics Academy and its a goal of mine!

-------------------------------------------
    Dante Hill
    American Musical and Dramatic Academy
    Ypsilanti MI

• 2.  RE: Future Adjudicators

Posted 12-13-2014 14:01
    It probably depends on the district you'd want to adjudicate for. In our district, it appears that you just need to make friends with the right people. Which is true of any job market, ever, so I'm not saying anything inflammatory, I hope!

Maybe you should send an email or two to district chairs of areas (geographical) that you were interested in adjudicating for? That would be a good place to start, most likely, in lieu of other ideas. :)

Good luck in your quest!

Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL

• 3.  RE: Future Adjudicators

Posted 12-14-2014 08:09
    I have nothing to offer as to the nuts and bolts of becoming an adjudicator. However, allow me to plant a thought in the back of your mind.

As you move forward, and become a judge, remember what you are judging. It's going to vary by jurisdiction, but in general, something like a one act competition is an *acting* contest. Those two kids on a blank stage with a couple of hand props doing a classic bit of theatre? They should have as good a chance of winning as the huge group in the latest musical with the massive set, Broadway-level choreography, and custom costumes. 

Now, if the competition is based on overall production values? Obviously group two is the winner. But each and every competition, ask yourself "What am I judging? What personal theatre preferences do I have that I must set aside to focus on the task at hand?"

There's a reason The Tony Awards separate plays, musicals, and revivals. You probably won't have that luxury. Judge each entry for what it is, and how it achieves the goal of the piece. "Waiting For Godot" and "The Sound of Music" are both classics of the American stage. In your average one-act competition, each should stand an equal chance at taking the trophy.

Scott
    Scott Piehler
    Drama Director
    Lilburn GA

• 4.  RE: Future Adjudicators

Posted 12-16-2014 14:07
    Hello Dante,

Thank you for your interest in adjudicating. Are you meaning that you would like to adjudicate for Festival main stage shows or did you have some other type of adjudication in mind? If it's for Festival main stage shows, we offer adjudication training every other year at the Thespian Festival. We just held training at Festival 2014, so we won't hold another until 2016. You would need to attend the Festival and participate in the two training sessions.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Nancy

Nancy Brown
    Director of Education
    Cincinnati OH