Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Film Equipment

Posted 12-10-2014 12:11
    Hello! In addition to teaching theatre classes, I also teach film. My class has written a short script they would like to film, and we have a fund at school to purchase supplies. I would like to purchase four items and need suggestions for types and sites where I might get them.
    1. A camera (with manual focus, manual white balance, an audio plug to plug in external microphone, image stabilization, and progressive scan
    2. A good tripod
    3. A shotgun microphone to plug into the camera with xlr cables and boom pole and wind eliminator
    4 reflectors

Any suggestions would be very helpful. I can spend up to $2500 total (though I also need to purchase editing software). This class serves actors as well as writers and designers.

Thank you in advance!

-------------------------------------------
    Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth MA

• 2.  RE: Film Equipment

Posted 12-11-2014 07:37
    Elisabeth,
    I also teach theatre and film.  Contact Eric Nelson at Access AV in Concord, NH.  He is terrific and will give you excellent suggestions for the best equipment to fit your budget.  We've been very pleased with his support.
    Access AV
    8 Integra Dr.
    Concord
    NH03301
    603-224-1300
    eric@accessavnh.com

Rick Osann
    Theatre Teacher
    Standish ME

• 3.  RE: Film Equipment

Posted 12-11-2014 08:14
    Our Video Production teacher swears by B&H photo and video in NYC. You will not get better pricing or warranties anywhere. They are outstanding. ------------------------------------------- Lisa Houston Pennington NJ -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Film Equipment

Posted 12-11-2014 11:10
    The problem with cameras is the price point.  The Canon Vixia series is the best combination of price and features.  You have to see what you can afford at the different price points.  I love the Canon XA, but it significantly more expensive.

There are a lot of good tripods.  I would talk to B&H photo in New York City to see what they recommend and what you can afford.

For boom microphones, I really like the Sennheisers.  KTek makes really nice boom poles and they are surprisingly affordable.
    I would recommend recording your audio into a digital recorder instead of the camera.  It makes editing a little more complicated, but it is really nice quality.  I like the Tascam DR-40 and the Zoom H4N and the Zoom H2n.

You can build pretty effective reflectors out of white poster board.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy Goldson
    Denver CO

• 5.  RE: Film Equipment

Posted 12-11-2014 12:50
    I agree with most of the other posters: Talk to sales reps: being a school, they will not guide you to what gets them the best commission.

As to individual parts:  I currently run with a JVC  Enverio (model GZ-E505BU) I like the price (Cheap-about $200) and the fact that it has the possibility of additional lenses which can be threaded on the front... This might not be what you want, but with only 2500... you need to decide where you will sacrifice.  Because we make films for contest and not actually studying film; I decided it was a good sacrifice.

As far as Mics, I like the RODE NTG2.  it's also fairly cheap ($250) and depending on where you buy, you can get a boom-pole shock-mount and 1 foot 90deg. XLR cable included, but regardless of where you buy, it does come with a foam windscreen and regular mic-stand clip.  It also can run off phantom power, or with a battery, which is handy if you want to use it to dub a voiceover!  

Have fun!

Matthew Smith
    Director
    Atlantic IA