Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lighting Portfolio Help

Posted 12-10-2014 10:54
    I have a student that will be interviewing for a technical scholarship at our upcoming State Thespian Festival. She is a lighting designer. I'm looking for advice on how to help her put her portfolio together. I know important things to include are plots, photos and concepts - what else? What should the portfolio look like? Should it be digital or a hard copy? Does anyone have examples of portfolios their high school students have put together? All of my googling only turns up MFA or professional portfolios.  

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.  

-------------------------------------------
    Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 2.  RE: Lighting Portfolio Help

Posted 12-11-2014 07:56
    Hi,

If they are doing the individual events competition, then good visuals (production photos, plots and paperwork) are recommended. Additionally they should be able to clearly articulate their ideas, design concept and influences.

If for the Yeatman scholarship, I would strongly encourage them to read the new guidelines/suggestions for lighting portfolios recently published in TD&T. A link can be found here:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/hickmanbrady/tdt_2014fall/index.php#/0

USITT publishes TD&T and has created or solidified many of the common practices within technical theatre. It is one of the few definitive voices for advocacy and standards.

Best Wishes,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 3.  RE: Lighting Portfolio Help

Posted 12-15-2014 14:10
    I suppose it would be closest to the individual events competition, as that isn't an option at our festival for Tech. It's a scholarship interview for the college that hosts the festival. They offer one tech and three acting scholarships to Thespians attending the festival. 

I will take a look at the document you posted a link to. 

Thank you for your help. 

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA