Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Game's Afoot murder

Posted 12-09-2014 11:13
    Even though it has a Christmas theme, our group is doing The Game's Afoot this Spring.  It would be great to have suggestions for a murder scene.  The actress gets stabbed in the back (lights out, lights up, knife in back) and that is not the issue.  She falls to the floor and another character has to pull the knife out.  She is on stage continually so we can't trade out prop knives.  I don't really want to do a knife in the armpit effect, I would like it mid back and it has to pull out and be whole.  This is a great scene so I don't want to hide any of it from the audience.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can do this?  I am usually pretty good with this stuff, but this is not coming to me for some reason.

Any one else done this show?  Any advice or suggestions are welcome!  Thanks!!

-------------------------------------------
    Georgann Lanich
    Teacher
    Tallulah Falls School
    Lakemont GA

• 2.  RE: Game's Afoot murder

Posted 12-09-2014 12:18
    It's not perfect... but there are some stage weapons out there that my kids refer to as the "floppy" weapons. Basically, the weapon is made out of very flexible foam(?) that allows it to bend and then straighten out when it isn't pressed against anything. Warning though... the knife is actually pretty floppy so you'll have to have your kids be careful not to make it juggle when moving it around. I think I got it at either Norcostco, Theatre House, or The Costumer.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Game's Afoot murder

Posted 12-10-2014 08:20
    One thing I remember doing some time in my career was to create a board that could be worn under the clothing. It was a wood block that was strapped to the actor that could take the blade. It was the same sort of thing that it had to be removed and be whole on stage. I don't remember much more than a slit being cut in something like a two by four just big enough for the blade to slide in. Hope this helps or at least gives you an idea to spring board from.

Douglas Parks
    Parkersburg WV

• 4.  RE: Game's Afoot murder

Posted 12-10-2014 09:39
    In PIPPIN I experienced the same issue. Used heavy duty Velcro on a retractable blade and on the costume. The kind remained on stage draped on the apron through intermission.m he learned to shallow breathe and it was an attention getter. Beginning of Act II, the blade is withdrawn and voila, he rises to give his line. ------------------------------------------- John Freeman Theatre Director / Fine Arts Director Mount de Sales Academy Macon GA -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Game's Afoot murder

Posted 01-01-2015 01:47
    We did the same thing for PIPPIN. We were able to incorporate a line of black velcro into the decoration on the back of Charlamagne's costume. You could put the actor in a black jacket or top or, if the costume is a color, use white velcro that is "painted" with markers by someone adept at color mixing.

Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA