Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Great Gatsby

Posted 12-08-2014 21:30
    Hello everyone. This is my third set to ever construct, so give me some feedback.

We were able to use all of the flats from last year's "Annie" and "The Outsiders" plays, as well as three of the platforms. I'm a fan of recycling.

This year, my stagecraft classes constructed 7 stair units and 6 more platforms for this play. Our director is at a loss for what she'd like to produce next. She'd like something light hearted with some adventure that does not require much in costuming. 

Suggestions anyone?

-------------------------------------------
    Michael Scroggins
    Sherwood AR

• 2.  RE: The Great Gatsby

Posted 12-09-2014 07:29
    Looks really good.  The car is for cool!  Nice use of levels as well

Only suggestion I would make is to texture your flats-- there are lots of possibilities, there-- so just try some techniques-- rag roll, scumbeling, spattering, wood grain-ing, whatever you want-- gives the flat a bit of dimension

Best

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: The Great Gatsby

Posted 12-09-2014 10:44
      |   view attached
    First off, I love the Rolls!  Secondly, recycling is the only way my theatre can survive: before I came to Atlantic, the Janitors would strike the show and use saws to hack up the set... needless to say, Stock scenery wasn't in the equation.  Now, I tell them to stay away from the stage until strike is over.  The trick is to store the set pieces after the show.

To The second question... Depending on the number of guys you have, You could do "The Mouse That Roared" - dramatic publishing.  The script calls for an open stage with Three platforms (L, R, & C) but I see a cyc. with Black fabric "Tree" silhouettes (see attached) , and some gobos You can hide these by using an upstage blackout to hide them, then make wagons from your platforms for showcase pieces (roll offstage if you have Wing space, or paint a flat and mount to the back; turn it around and it hides in plain sight)

Have fun!
    Matthew Smith
    Director
    Atlantic IA

• 4.  RE: The Great Gatsby

Posted 12-09-2014 10:53
    I agree that the set looks pretty awesome: nice rolls, as others have commented! I'd also agree that some texturing would be good, as it does otherwise look a little, ahem, flat. Great use of levels, and width/depth etc!

As for next year, how about Godspell? Super simple set, little bit of adventure, pretty positive (apart from them ending the play with the death and not the resurrection of Jesus, but hey, that might depend on your perspective). Shakespeare is also known for not needing any particular demanding set or costumes, especially if you set it in the modern era or similar.

Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL

• 5.  RE: The Great Gatsby

Posted 12-09-2014 11:21
    Take a look at https://www.theatrefolk.com/products or http://www.youthplays.com/  They both have some great new plays.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA

...something light hearted with some adventure that does not require much in costuming. 

Suggestions anyone?

Michael Scroggins
    Sherwood AR

• 6.  RE: The Great Gatsby

Posted 12-11-2014 23:29
    Billy, Phillip, Matthew, Michael, thank you for your feedback and suggestions. They're a great help, and I look forward to incorporating them. :) 

It's sounding like we're going to try "Into the Woods" for our Spring play. 

Michael Scroggins
    Sherwood AR