Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Weighted Theatre Classes

Posted 12-03-2014 12:17
    Do any of your high school theatre programs offer a way to have a weighted grade as AP classes do?  I am trying to explore a higher level of class work for students in exchange for a weighted grade.  A thought that my colleague and I are bouncing around is to offer higher level work within certain classes, and/or to have the performance (and prep that goes into it) get worked into the equation to validate the extra weighted score.  If you have and you have any information about how that part of your program works, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thank you!
    Cathy

-------------------------------------------
    Cathy Swain-Abrams
    Teacher, Drama Director
    Olentangy Local School District
    Lewis Center OH

• 2.  RE: Weighted Theatre Classes

Posted 12-03-2014 14:11
    We offer our Advanced Acting class as Dual Credit at a local university.  I am considered Adjunct faculty by the University, my syllabus has to be approved by the University and I am evaluated yearly by a member of the Theatre Department from the University. In our District - AP Courses get a full point bump and Dual Credit receive a 3/4 point bump.  
    I would prefer that the weighting be even, but at least it's something.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Weighted Theatre Classes

Posted 12-04-2014 09:08
    In Kentucky it is required that high school juniors take a History of the Arts class. If you have three years of one art form (band, chorus, drama, visual art) then you can opt out of the class. I have many students who are just taking theatre so they can opt out of the required class. I am now exploring a two level system, AP Theatre and Honors Theatre. AP Theatre would be for the serious students. Usually the serious students are the ones who try-out for productions.

I'd be interested in hearing how other schools handle any similar situation.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 4.  RE: Weighted Theatre Classes

Posted 12-05-2014 22:46
    Hi John,

I hope you are able to get an Honors Theatre course in your district. Weighting the course will attract a great many more students. 

Currently, there is not an AP Theatre course. Many dedicated Theatre Educators have been working to make this happen and we all hope to see an AP Theatre course in the future. 

The International Baccalaureate program does have an IB Theatre curriculum. It is a rigorous course of study, but does require a district to apply and be accepted in order to offer the course.

Krista Carson Elhai
    California
    Claremont CA

• 5.  RE: Weighted Theatre Classes

Posted 12-06-2014 14:54
    In our school we have Freshman/Sophomore classes that we list as AP but aren't a full AP credit class but a higher level class. There isn't an AP Theatre course and neither is there Board Certification for Theatre teachers. All other classes are listed as Honor classes. We also have an IB program and I teach IB Theatre.

There isn't a certified AP Theatre course and neither is there Board Certification for Theatre teachers. I'm not sure if I want an AP Theatre class. What benefit would it give the student?

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 6.  RE: Weighted Theatre Classes

Posted 12-07-2014 09:35
    I also teach IB theatre and I do have a weighted advanced acting course. In my previous school I had neither but could have benefitted from honors course. I think I could also have benefitted from a certified AP theatre. For non IB schools it would be a great way to reach out to AP kids and get them in those classes. We had AP music and art. Most of the AP kids in theatre took one of those for the AP credit. ------------------------------------------- Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Weighted Theatre Classes

Posted 12-08-2014 07:54
    Like it or not, I think an AP Theatre course would benefit Theatre in "legitimizing" it in the minds of school administrators, parents and students. I don't care what the course would focus on--performance, theatre history, etc., I for one would certainly offer it. (I should also mention that in MCPS, Theatre is the only Art credit which offers no weighted classes and the county is resistant to change on this front).

Jessica Speck
    Drama Teacher
    Montgomery County Public Schools
    Rockville MD

• 8.  RE: Weighted Theatre Classes

Posted 12-04-2014 09:41
    We have an Advanced Drama - Honors class that earns the weighted grade.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA

• 9.  RE: Weighted Theatre Classes

Posted 12-05-2014 08:57
    All high school honors courses in my district are weighted, so Honors Proficient Theatre Arts, Honors Advanced Theatre Arts, Honors Proficient Technical Theatre and Honors Advanced Technical Theatre are weighted credit courses.  Currently honors classes receive +1 (an A is 5 points) and AP/College courses receive +2 (and A is 6 points) but apparently we will soon be switching to all honors classes getting +.5 and AP/college getting +1.  

Robin Clayton
    Wilmington NC

• 10.  RE: Weighted Theatre Classes

Posted 12-09-2014 17:42

If I understand this discussion correctly, and if I have gotten my head around the American school system after 6 years of teaching in it (no guarantees there, I'm a limey after all), then I can offer that in our district, all Honors classes add a weight of 0.4 to a students' GPA, with AP classes adding 0.8. I think that's what I understand. So in our district, there's Theatre I and II, then Theatre III honors and Theatre IV honors, so if the student sticks through three or four years with the theatre program, there is at least the minor carrot of receiving a little bump for their loyalty. 

But like many of you, I still lose many of my promising students to dual enrollment, AP classes, and the ever straight-jacketing new added requirements of graduation, such as this year's graduating class having to complete an online class as part of their graduation requirements...

Smile, and the world smiles with you. :)
    Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL